Copenhagen and Stockholm Hotel Recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2016, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! My wife and I are visiting Copenhagen and Stockholm in beginning of May this year. We are staying a few nights in each city. I have done some research on what to see and what areas seem like good areas to stay within the city. Our budget per night is between ~$150-$200 but I know prices vary by date and type of room. We need hotel recommendations in both cities! Don't worry if the price is slightly out of budget.

I have looked at the Admiral hotel in Copenhagen, all of the Scandic hotels, Radisson hotels, etc. That's as far as I've gotten so your feedback would be super helpful! Like what can I expect to get from a Scandic hotel (or any of them)? Anyways, the more feedback the better! Thanks again!
Old Jan 30th, 2016, 05:17 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Scandic usually include large breakfast buffets and have good deals on weekends.
Old Jan 30th, 2016, 06:12 PM

In Stockholm we stayed at the Hotel Esplanade and loved it. It was an older hotel but redone to its original charm. The staff was wonderful, the breakfast huge and amazing. It was right across the street from the canal and walking distance to most things. We booked in expedia but it is also on booking.com
Old Jan 30th, 2016, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback so far!

I am looking at Hotel Alexandra and Admiral Hotel in Copenhagen and a few others. Has anyone stayed at either of these?
Old Jan 30th, 2016, 07:43 PM

We were very pleased with the Hotel Ibsen in Copenhagen. In a nice residential district two blocks from the lake and easy walk to the Stroyet pedestrian street in mid town.

At the time it was managed and operated solely by women. Excellent breakfast choices and a very good Italian restaurant within. Large airy rooms, elevator. Several restaurants in the area, where our favorite was The Klimt with some of the artist's pieces.) Nearby Norreport, the train station to points north like the Castle at Hillerod and to Lousiana Modern Art Museum with grounds full of sculptures...can be comfortably done as a day trip (see pix below).

In Stockholm, we chose the Mornington (a Brit hotel)in the
close-in neighborhood of Ostermalm...also walking distance to the harbor, and Old Town (Gamle Stan). Boats to drottningholm Palac can be found near City Hall.

I think both these suggestions will still be within your budget limits.
Old Jan 30th, 2016, 07:50 PM

These will give you some ideas of what to see and do in bothcitieshttps://picasaweb.google.com/stuarttower/Denmark#
https://picasaweb.google.com/stuarttower/Stockholm#have an enjoyable trip.
Old Jan 30th, 2016, 07:53 PM

I have stayed at the Admiral two years ago. I think it is quite above your budget target. My Danish friend from Copenhagen recommended this hotel. It is a large business and group tour oriented hotel. What I liked especially was the room being quiet, modern, and large. The rooms are shoehorned into an old warehouse and you dodge structural beams to get to your room. I have looked many other hotels in Copenhagen, but usual complaints were small size rooms and the noise. The hotel lies on the quiet side of Nyhavn. However, it makes this hotel at the edge of the city core. I have visited the core before, so in my case, it did not matter. The standard room rate did not include breakfast.
Old Jan 30th, 2016, 08:11 PM

http://www.mornington.se/Mornington-.../rooms/Lodging recs.We have recommended these two properties several times to friends and family...and they
still talk to us!
Old Jan 31st, 2016, 01:34 AM

I've stayed in several Copenhagen hotels, but most are out of the immediate city centre so will be too far for you. Those that I can recommend in the city centre and ones where I have stayed are:
Admiral - but as already mentioned, rooms can be very small due to the nature of the building
The Square - great location
Nyhavn 71 - great location but the rooms are rather small

My friend however stayed for 3 weeks in a Guldsmeden (Goldsmith) hotel (Babette) and I was in Copenhagen earlier this month so took a look. I will stay here next time, area is very nice, location is very convenient and loved the look of the hotel and the brasserie is supposed to be very good too. Their rates do not include breakfast, you pay extra for it. There are lots of bakeries though if you want to have breakfast somewhere else.

http://guldsmedenhotels.com/Copenhag...en-Hotels.aspx
Old Jan 31st, 2016, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone this is really helpful! The more info the better!

As I look at the photos for a lot of these hotels on Tripadvisor I notice that it seems like most of the rooms are going to be small. I feel like that it is pretty standard, just to have a smaller room than normal, correct? As much as we would love to have a larger room and larger beds etc. I think we both realize that probably isn't a realistic thing for either of these cities.

As nice as it is for a hotel to offer breakfast, I don't think that is something that we are really looking for just because we will likely grab something at a cafe in the morning. But for a hotel to have bikes to rent or something fun like that is always a plus!

Has anyone stayed at the Axel Guldsmeden hotel? Some of the pictures suggest it seems cool but then others suggest the rooms are very small. But again maybe they're just standard size.

Thanks for the feedback on the Mornington in Stockholm and Admiral in Copenhagen. I would like to hear more about a couple hotels in Copenhagen on my list Hotel sp34, Scandic Front, Radission Royal, Hotel Alexandra, Avenue Hotel. I know the price range might be outside of my stated budget but if I get good particularly good feedback on one of these then I might be persuaded to spend a little extra. Thanks again!
Old Jan 31st, 2016, 07:47 AM

If you like Danish design, you might be interested in staying in either the Alexandra or the Radisson Royal.

The Alexander has furniture from designers such as Wegner, Wanscher. Louis Poulsen (which is everywhere in Denmark anyway), Le Klint etc so if you are into midcentury design, this would be a very cool place to stay. Location is good too. In hotels that are in older buildings, the room sizes will vary. If you want big room sizes, you might like the Marriott but it has no Danish character at all.

The Royal is famous hotel, designed by Arne Jacobsen, very good location, has a michelin star restaurant called Alberto K. Location is very good.

I don't know anything about the Scandic Front except that it is a in a great location. I don't know anything about sp34 except it is very close to a very old bakery, Sankt Peders Bageri which is famous for their cinnamon rolls. Danish pastries from traditional bakeries are nothing like the pastries bought outside Denmark. I think you've picked some really interesting hotels in great locations.
Old Jan 31st, 2016, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Odin, very helpful!
Old Jan 31st, 2016, 03:09 PM

We stayed at 71 Nyhavn in Copenhagen. It was at the end of one of the canals and fronted the big canal. I loved it, had a wonderful buffet breakfast, but......the key to liking it or not liking it is getting in the "new" section. I had a lovely room. It IS a refurbished warehouse so there are some beams to be cautious of. If you get in the old section you could have a room about the size of a closet.

I loved the location, close to Stroget, City Square, the bus and the metro. Lots of restaurants and so on. It's kind of "funky" so not sure what you are looking for.

We stayed at the Lady Hamilton is Stockholm. VERY old building. Nice breakfast room and buffet. Again, it's funky, lots of antiques. We were there in the dead of winter so air conditioning wasn't an issue. I think some rooms have it, some do not. It's in Gamla Stan, just around the corner from the Palace, the Nobel Museum and the Stockholm Cathedral. I loved staying there.

Their "sister" hotel, Lord Nelson, is also in Gamla Stan.

Staff was very nice at both places.
Old Jan 31st, 2016, 05:04 PM

http://www.arthurhotels.dk/ibsens-hotel/rooms/Lodging recs.We have recommended this Copenhagen property to you Troutman. Check it out. Rooms are unusually large for Europe..very pleasant place. See Denmark pics I sent you somewhere above. Ibsens is featured on yop of the Picasa pages. As I wrote in my post above we have recommended this place to family and friends.//and I jokingly said they're all still talking to us! Same goes for Mornington Stockholm.
Old Feb 1st, 2016, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Tower thanks for the recommendation and the pictures!

For Copenhagen I have narrowed down the hotels to:

Axel Guldsmeden
Copenhagen Island Hotel
Kong Arthur
Admiral
sp34

I have gotten feedback for a couple of these but I would love feedback from anyone who has stayed at any one of these places before I make a final decision. I am strongly leaning towards Kong Arthur/Admiral/Copenhagen Island Hotel. But I haven't gotten anything about Copenhagen Island Hotel. It looks great online, its only 20 min walk from city center, bike rental available, lower priced than others. Seems like a good value.

Odin have you stayed at the Copenhagen Island Hotel?

After I finalize Copenhagen I will focus more on Stockholm, haven't narrowed down the list but I have taken everyone's recommendations so far! Thanks everybody!
Old Feb 1st, 2016, 08:37 AM

We stayed at the Sheraton in Stockholm. The location was very central and the room was large. Overall, it was an average Sheraton, but very comfortable. The location made it easy to walk over to the Old Town on Vasagatan. We only had a few days in Stockholm so it was worth it to be very centrally located. Plus Stockholm Fashion Week was going on then, so we had many fashionable people staying at the hotel.
Old Feb 1st, 2016, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

That's cool August2015 FW in stockholm! And good to know about the Sheraton. I've stayed at them before here in the States so its good to have a reference.
Old Feb 1st, 2016, 11:04 AM

Stayed at Hotel Berns in Stockholm.

Incredible architecture, in a building that had strong society links during the 50s and 60s. Very hip vibe.

I've stayed in many SAS hotels around the world and never had a negative experience.
Old Feb 1st, 2016, 11:49 AM

I know you said you have narrowed down your choices for Copenhagen, but I just thought I would share two places that were great for us. Scandic Front is one of the hotels we stayed at this fall. We had 3 in our room, and it was HUGE! Very well kept, very clean, great bathroom, and breakfast buffet was very good. I would not hesitate at all to stay there again. In December we booked the Strand for our kids (in their 20's) while they were traveling around. They said the location was great as was the hotel,but did comment that the Scandic was a touch nicer, FWIW. For their stay in Stockholm, they were at the Scandic Malmen which they said they really liked. Great location, and their room was great. I hope some of this helps
Old Feb 1st, 2016, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks MMS I appreciate it, I will take another look at the few you mentioned.

British Caicos, Thanks for the Hotel Berns recommendation, I am putting it on my preliminary list!

Thanks everyone, keep the feedback coming!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -