Copenhagen airport

Mar 21st, 2006, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Copenhagen airport

Is there only one, or are there several? I'm looking at using this as a place to fly into from the US and then purchase a separate low cost carrier ticket for the rest of my journey. Is it an easy airport to move from one area to another? How about getting into the city? Is it relatively cheap and easy or long and arduous? If I have layover time in Copenhagen, how much time would I realistically need if I just wanted to go in and walk around the city for a while while waiting for my next flight? Thanks.
Mar 21st, 2006, 04:51 AM

I was there the end of last year. It is the only time through there so I'm NOT the airport expert. It was a fair jaunt from our gate to baggage claim. The airport was about 20 minutes from the city. The metro goes to the airport, my neice took it to come and meet us, we didn't use it to get back into the city but the metro is pretty cheap, clean, and modern. You'll need crowns or a debit card to use the metro. Buying the tickets is all automated. There is probably also a bus, the buses go almost everywhere but I can't say that for absolute fact. And yes, there is only one airport.
Mar 21st, 2006, 05:41 AM

The main airport is in Kastrup. The place has a very NICE shopping mall type area. It is easy to get into the center of Copenhagen by the direct rail link.

go here for the webiste; there is an English version which will answer some of your questions

http://www.cph.dk/CPH/UK/MAIN/
Mar 21st, 2006, 06:11 AM

Some low-cost airlines fly to Malmo, Sweden, just across the sound from CPH, from other low-rent airports, London Stansted, Roma Ciampino, e.g. That might be worth a look, but my guess is it is only advantageous for a simple round trip between two European cities, as changing airorts in within a longer trip from the U.S. is exhausting and time consuming.
Mar 21st, 2006, 07:39 AM

Thanks for the correction...yes, my neice took the train, not the metro. It's good we have so many knowledgable posters here to correct erronious information.
Mar 27th, 2006, 10:55 AM

One thing it's useful to know about CPH is that you can pay for things in the airport (and there's plenty of shopping) in euros or kroner(?), the Danish currency, but they will give change only in kroner, which won't do you much good once you're outta there, so use credit card or have small denomination euros on hand.