Copenhagen,stockholm transportation help

May 3rd, 2008, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Copenhagen,stockholm transportation help

We are trying to tap into kind fodorites expertise again. We are spending 3 days each in CPH,Stockholm. Planning to spend 2 days for local site seeing and a day each for day trip(s). We need suggestions for transporation (no car) , what passes to buy or just buy tickets on demand etc. We also need suggestions for travel from airport to local hotel. We are staying in First vesterbro in CPH and Best western time in Stockholm. We are 2 of us and probably restrict ourseleves to 1 medium suitcase each and 1 small carry on each. So If we can travel by train from airport, we will save some for local travel.Thanks for all the coming help!
May 3rd, 2008, 07:06 AM

In Stockholm, the Express Train runs from the airport to downtown; it was very easy to use.
May 3rd, 2008, 07:20 AM

There is a train station at the Copenhagen airport. You can catch trains to Central station, which is your best bet for getting to your hotel. The metro also runs to the airport, but puts you on the other side of the city, so the train is a better option for your hotel.

As for getting around the city, there is a CPH Card, which gets you into many museums. But the 72 hour card is pretty expensive. You can read more about it here:

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/composite-245.htm

If you don't go with the card, you can buy a klipkort at pretty much any 7 Eleven or other convenience store. There is a 7 Eleven in the airport, that I think would sell them, it is in the walkway between Terminal 3 and Terminal 2. It can be used on pretty much any public transit option - the train, the bus, the metro, etc. For buses, you punch the ticket as you enter. For the train or metro, you punch it in the boxes that are on the platforms.

A 10-clip 2 zone card is DKK 125. The 2 zone card is the most versatile. You clip it once of most trips within Copenhagen. If you are traveling more than 2 zones (the airport is 4), then you just clip it twice.

The one must-use site for for getting around with public transit is:

http://www.rejseplanen.dk/

you can get door-to-door directions for pretty much anywhere. Very easy to use. For general maps, Google Maps now covers Denmark. Viamichelin.com is another option.
May 3rd, 2008, 07:22 AM

To clarify, the 7 Eleven in the airport is outside of security. Turn left as you exit the baggage claim/customs area and it will be past the rental car agencies.
May 4th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. The Journey Planner site is very good. Do you know if the copenhagen card might be valid for travel by train to hillrod and Helsignor? If so, then it appears that the price of the card might be worth, as the round trip to these 2 places could be around 200 DKK.
May 4th, 2008, 01:34 PM

Trying to find the transfer options from ARN and CPH to Stockholm and Copenhagen respectively.

Found this web page:

http://www.toandfromtheairport.com/stockholm.html

Could it be right that the train from ARN to Stockholm is 200 SEK or over $30 each way?

Haven't booked my hotels yet nor the flight from ARN to CPH for a couple of days.

Sterling has a flight from 6/22-6/25 for $92 total. I arrive in ARN around noon so this would save me transfer costs if I go directly from ARN to CPH rather than go into town and spend a night and go back to the airport.

Only problem is the flight is about 4 hours after my flight from the US lands at ARN. I could find an earlier flight on SAS but then the price is $193!
May 4th, 2008, 01:35 PM

Could it be right that the train from ARN to Stockholm is 200 SEK or over $30 each way?

Yes.

This is Scandinavia. It is not cheap. Prepare to be routinely shocked and dismayed by the expense.
May 4th, 2008, 08:43 PM

Found this option for transfer between ARN and the city. Not sure of the bus station names they list though. Plan is to stay as close to the Central Station as possible or somewhere reachable by the Stockholm card.

http://www.viator.com/tours/Stockhol...-3006ARNAPTHTL

Originally was going to split 5.5 full days at the end of June between Stockholm and Copenhagen.

But studying the Stockholm and Copenhagen Cards, looks like each city merits more than 3 full days.

So maybe it's better to dedicate this trip to one or the other but not both.

Curiously, flights from SFO to CPH cost more than flights from SFO to ARN and then a roundtrip between ARN and CPH using either Sterling or SAS.

So I could go either way on this trip ...

May 4th, 2008, 11:03 PM

But studying the Stockholm and Copenhagen Cards, looks like each city merits more than 3 full days.

This is a subject of much debate. I think it depends upon how much you want to get "into" things, but a quick-hit tour of the sites in Copenhagen could be done in 3 days. You won't get off the beaten path, and you will be busy, but it could be done. With a car, you could even hit Roskilde, Helsingor, and Hillerød during one of the days.

Regarding Helsingor and Hillerød on the CPH card... It does look like it includes Helsingør and Hillerød, as well as Roskilde, so it could be a good option if you wanted to hit those sites. As they are all in zone 6, you would need 3 clips on a 2-zone klipkort, each way.
May 5th, 2008, 05:59 AM

I notice both cards include a lot of the big museums which are free.

But Copenhagen Card doesn't include Tivoli or Christiansborg Slot?

If I give one city 3 full days, that means the other gets less than 3 full days.

Plus it appears a lot of sites are closed on Mondays in both cities?
May 5th, 2008, 06:14 AM

The train between ARN and downtown Stockholm is not cheap as you have learned but there are discounts for seniors if that applies to you.

It is also incredibly convenient especially if you are trying to make rail connections onward from Stockhom from the airport.

How much time will you save if you wait around at ARN for four hours for that flight to CPH, then retrieve baggage at CPH and transfer to the city center over taking the ARN Express into Stockholm and changing to a fast train to Malmo/Copenhagen?
May 5th, 2008, 06:41 AM

How much time will you save if you wait around at ARN for four hours for that flight to CPH, then retrieve baggage at CPH and transfer to the city center over taking the ARN Express into Stockholm and changing to a fast train to Malmo/Copenhagen?

Considering that the fastest train from ARN to CPH is around 5:30, and since you will still have to wait for luggage at ARN, and the train ride is 20 minutes (+ waiting time to catch it), you could easily be looking at 6:30 to 7:00 for a train journey.

I would book the earlier SAS flight, it will get you in earlier, and once you pay all the extra Sterling fees (checked bags, using a credit card, etc.), the savings will be reduced anyway. Also, SAS is more reliable.
May 5th, 2008, 06:47 AM

Regarding the CPH card and Tivoli... No, it won't get you in. Perhaps there is a discount with it, but I would expect to pay pretty close to the full DKK 85 entrance fee. Rides are extra, with a multi-ride ticket running DKK 200. I told you about sticker shock, right? On the bright side, most of the rides are pretty small and underwhelming and adults, at least, don't really go there for the rides.
May 5th, 2008, 07:10 AM

Good to know about Sterling's extra fees. The web site showed 125 SEK per segment but the total was 558 SEK so the taxes came out to more than the flights. But Sterling tacks on additional fees?

I'm leaning towards staying just in Stockholm for this trip. I'd read that you could do each city in 2-3 days but the more I look at it, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Also wondering about the Stockholm Card. Looks like most of the major museums are already free. So I wonder about the value of the Card beyond the transportation.

Frommers.com says there's a tourist pass of some kind which also gives you unlimited travel but the Stockholm Tourism site didn't list it. It only listed the Stockholm Card.

The Card does give you some free canal boat tours as well as some discounts on other water excursions.
May 5th, 2008, 07:13 AM

On transfers from ARN to Stockholm, is anyone familiar with the locations of the following?

Jarva Krog
Frosunda
Haga Norra
Haga Forum
Norra stationsgatan
St Eriksplan
Stockholm City

These are the stops listed in a bus transfer service which is suppose to take 40 minutes and runs every 10 minutes, 24/7, according to Viator.

I'm wondering if Stockholm City is right near the Central Station, which is near where I plan to stay. Or some area close to a subway stop.
May 5th, 2008, 07:27 AM

But Sterling tacks on additional fees?

Yes. They charge for almost everything. Food. Drinks. Checked bags. Seat assignments. Using a credit card. I don't remember if they charge to check in at the airport, but they might.

I've learned to be very cautious about thinking I have found a good deal with them.

BTW, your thought of staying in just one city is not a bad one.
May 5th, 2008, 07:43 AM

travelgourmet:

I asked a question about the metro/train system in Copenhagen in a thread I started but you've answered a part of the question here.

So from what I understand, a Copenhagen Card is useful if we wanted to venture out to Roskilde as well as Hillerød and Helsingor. Our other choice is to buy 2 2-zone klipkort. Does either the Copenhagen Card or klipkort cover the transportation from airport to city? If not, and we're not really going on a lot of museums, which do you think would be more of value for out itinerary: a day in Copenhagen, another in Roskilde and another in Hillerød/Helsingor? Thanks.

(user3334: I hope you don't mind my questions in your thread...I started a thread but I didn't get any answers. Thanks)
May 10th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

No Problem Joyc. I am still trying to find out the answer to the same issue, whether 72 hour CPh card for 429 DKK is worth. On the web, the travel planner site shows price from cph to hillerod as 90KR and from Hillerod to Helsignor as 60 Kr.
Back to CPH is 90 kr. So the total cost of day trip to hillerod and helsignor would be about 240 DKK.Airport is included and it is 28 dKK. So the trips to airport + day trips itself would be 300DKK. But Travelgourmet said you can use 2 zone klipkort with three clips, that reduces the cost to about 100 dkk round trip. in that case you may not come out ahead with card. Any one has opinion?
May 13th, 2008, 01:39 AM

Sorry for not responding more quickly. I have been traveling, and not really online. At any rate, when it comes to the question of the 72-hour CPH card vs using the klipkort, the answer depends upon how many museums you will go to.

I would think that, for a 3 day trip, that includes a day trip to Helsingør and Hillerød would use maybe 2, 2-zone klipkorts per person. This would be broken down as follows:
- 2 clips to get from the airport to town
- 2 clips to get from town to the airport
- 3 clips to get to Hillerød
- 1 clip to get from Hillerød to Helsingør
- 3 clips to get from Helisingør to CPH

This leaves 9 clips, which should be a reasonable amount for the rest of your transportation needs. So, just using the klip-korts would run you DKK 250. I would think that you would probably hit enough museums to make the card worthwhile, but that is up to you.
Jul 22nd, 2008, 01:56 PM

Having just returned from Copenhagen, I just want to give a heads-up about the 2-zone klippekort as follows:

- 2 clips/person from airport to central station but only 3 clips total for 2 persons traveling together.

- 5 clips/person from central station to Hillerød.

- 3 clips/person from Hillerød to Helsingør.

- 5 clips/person from Helsingør back to central train station.

- 5 clips/person from train station to Roskilde.

In essence, if you are not visiting a lot of museums and only wanted to visit these places, it is a lot cheaper to get the 24-hour card rather than the klippekort.