Search

Convince me to book this trip!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convince me to book this trip!

Alright, I'm a cheapskate I admit it!

I had a deal in the low 1300's for 11 nights Italy for travel in late Feb/early March .. 3 Rome, 5 Florence, 3 Venice ... includes air, hotel, train, AND the single supplement since I'm travelling SOLO ... all budget class hotels.

Well just found out these aren't available, they have to upgrade me to tourist class (better hotels more money). Total cost is now 1500. This a good deal? If it is just tell me to book the durned thing already

(sometimes I need a kick in the butt to get going lol)
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 10:02 AM

I don't think it is a bad deal, the price is more or less the same if I do the same trip from here (Spain) and, obviously, plane tickets are very much cheap from here.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

ooops, I forgot to say, this would be flying out of Chicago
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 10:08 AM

Without any details, it's hard to know if this is a good deal, but in general, I'd say you are getting a decent price for that time of the year, especially if you are traveling from Chicago. The real question when deciding on a package is whether you'd be able to do better if booking the stuff on your own. You would have to search for airfares to make sure, but I doubt you'd get something cheaper than $600 with all taxes and probably more like $700. Do you have to go back to Rome before you come home, or do you fly straight from Venice? Can you find hotels for 11 nights for about $700? (I'm allowing about $100 for train tickets.) Look at the prices for the individual components, see if the hotels are decent, and then see if you can do better on your own. I'm not sure.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 10:13 AM

Well persoanlly I don't like organized tours, but if that is your thing, then it sounds good to me cost wise. I am a budget traveller, although I prefer to travel solo.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

I won't have to return to Rome, I'll be flying back home from Venice.

I've done some research and the best airfare is over 700 (they seem to charge more for multicity airfares).

Hotels : On Venere I could probably manage about $75 - $80 a night if I tried. The hotels I'm getting in this deal are mainly 3 stars, relatively central locations, above average reviews ...

Add in train costs .. I guess it must be a good deal, because I'm coming up with over 1600 as a conservative estimate putting it together myself.

Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

In reply to UnaS :

This is all independent travel .. just a package I'm purchasing. I'm not a fan of guided tours myself .. I love having the freedom to do my own thing!
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 10:35 AM

Then what are you waiting for? Book it!

BTW - Who did you buy this trip through, if you don't mind me asking.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Air France holidays. I found this particular deal on Travelzoo's top 20 of the week
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 10:41 AM

I've used these packages before. They can be a good value if airfares are high.

The biggest concern for me is hotel location. Sometimes the less expensive options are not well-located. You have to decide which is more important to you--cost ("I can't go unless it's this cheap, so who cares about location.&quot or location ("I don't want to waste time traveling into town from the suburbs each day.&quot.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 11:17 AM

IMO - really good answers. Glad to know about the site for good deals too. Another issue for me would be the air itineray. Could you possibly be hours in several airports, many changes, going to timbuktu to get to Venice, etc. Sometimes, those multiple connections result in lost luggage & poor service getting it to you - oh no!

If all that has been discussed is Ok, I'd go for it - sounds like a good price.

Good luck & hopefully - happy traveling!
Julie