Convents in Rome, Florence, Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a first time solo traveller and a little nervous about finding some of these places I will be staying at.

Any idea about how to get to the Santa Giuliana in Rome from the airport? Or the dell'Assuzzione in Florence and the San Giuseppe in Venice from the train stations?

Many thanks!
Old May 28th, 2005, 03:22 AM

Hi
is there a reason you haven't asked them?
Old May 28th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Have tried but not always so easy to get in touch with them....
Old May 28th, 2005, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they are all trappist ?
Old May 28th, 2005, 10:19 AM

Someone recently asked about transport to the Santa Giuliana and got some tips.In short, take a train from the airport to Termini, and then take a bus. I can't remember the bus number. So do a search.

Post the addresses of the Florence and Venice places and perhaps we can help.
Old May 28th, 2005, 10:22 AM

I know the Santa Giuliana has an e-mail address, and I would assume the other two convents would as well, so it can't be a matter of "getting in touch with them" by phone.

Santa Giuliana Falconieri: From Fiumicino, take Leonardo Express train directly to Roma Termini (9.50 Euros). Then either take a taxi or the No. 64 bus (beware: it is known as the pickpocket special). You buy a ticket (1 Euro) at a tobacconist or newsstand in the station; get on the bus at the back and validate your ticket in the yellow machine; ask the people around you to tell you when the bus gets to the stop nearest to the church of Sant'Andrea della Valle (the stop will be on Corso Vittorio Emanuele and either at Largo di Torre Argentina or the one after that); ask people on the street to direct you to via di Colasanzio, just off the Corso Vittorio Emanuele (the Istituto Santa Giuliana Falconieri is visible from the Corso; I saw it last week).

Istituto Oblate del Assunzione: Take a taxi from train station Santa Maria Novella or the line A small bus from in front of the station to the stop Salvemini and ask people to direct you to Borgo Pinti, which is very close to the bus stop; the convent should not be too far up the street. Again, you have to buy your ticket (1 Euro) first and validate it in the machine on the bus.

Istituto San Giuseppe: Buy a ticket at the vaporetto stop in front of the train station; take the No. 1 or the No. 82 (make sure you go to the platform for the vaporetti going in the direction of San Marco) to the stop Vallaresso; go up Vallaresso, turn right and continue until you hit Piazza San Marco, cross Piazza San Marco kitty-corner to Mercerie (behind the Clock Tower); go about four blocks on Mercerie to the bridge Ponte Guerra, cross it and turn left immediately.

All three cities have bus passes that will reduce the cost of individual rides; look into them at

Rome: www.atac.roma.it
Florence: www.ataf.net
Venice: www.actv.it

In my opinion, the city centers and main points of interest of all three cities are walkable and the convents are sufficiently central that you should not need bus/vaporetto passes, but make up your own mind.
Old May 28th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

that's great, thanks for all your help. i have been searching for maps with not too much luck ?

only the santa giuliana has an email address and has been taking a long time for them to get back to me.
Old May 29th, 2005, 04:40 AM

my advice is to take a taxi for Florence airport-only about 10 euros. we had a limo service pick us up at Rome airport as I was getting nervous as 1st time traveller to italy-50 euros-we would never have hound our B&B even with directions as it was down a little side street-after flying all night, the last thing I wanted to do was to wander with my luggage in tow after taking a train and a bus! Well worth the extra splurge. Venice was a lot easier as everyone takes the vaporetto from the train staion. Our hotel e-mailed great directions.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 08:46 PM

ttt