Convenient Hotel Athens before Ferry

Apr 8th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Convenient Hotel Athens before Ferry

I am traveling to Greece in June for a wedding in Syros. We arrive in Athens at 10:20 in the am, but the only ferries are either in the morning (before we land)or in the evening (which would have us stuck in Athens all day with our luggage). Can anyone recommend a convenient hotel to stay in Athens one evening before an early ferry ride 7:15 a.m. (from Piraeus). I will have my 3 year old and my mother in law with us so a hotel with a pool would be nice as well. We will do a few days in Athens before returning and will probably stay near the Plaka and do sight seeing then. I would like a nice hotel, but something around 200 Euros a night or less.
Apr 11th, 2007, 01:38 PM

Electra Palace Acropolis. Good location, nice hotel with lovely rooftop view.
http://electrapalace.athenshotels.it/?source=googleh
Apr 11th, 2007, 02:22 PM

You do have another option if you were so inclined to take it:

Take the Airport Bus to the port of Rafina. Relax and have some lunch, then from Rafina take the 4:15 PM highspeed ferry to Mykonos, arriving at 6:20 PM, then you can catch another highspeed ferry to Syros at 8:30 PM, arriving at 9:30 PM.
Apr 11th, 2007, 04:13 PM

You didn't specify which date in June, however if you look at www.openseas.gr you will see that there are departures from Lavrio as well. One example has you departing Lavrio at 3:00pm and arriving in Syros at 4:40pm. Just in time to check-in to your hotel and then grab a quick swim!
Apr 11th, 2007, 04:36 PM
littlebigshot

Interesting about Lavrio. I'd heard they were starting more ferries out of that port. It's an attractive idea for several reasons: Lavrio is closer to the airport than Piraeus, and I assume less chaotic; also being farther south in Attica it should cut a couple of hours off sailing times. Can anyone who's shipped out from Lavrio give us their impressions of it? Or does anyone know if more destinations from Lavrio are planned for the future?

Apr 12th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip re Lavrio. The wedding couple had suggested departing from Piraeus so I had not checked other ports. I have another question though. You mentioned taking the bus to Rafina and having a leisurely lunch before a 3 pm ferry (which is available our arrival day). We will have a lot of luggage with us (scuba gear and other bags for 4 people for 2 week Greek holiday). Are you able to check in your luggage at the port hours before your scheduled ferry departure? I can't imagine hauling our luggage into a restaurant. And can you get cabs at the airport to the port that can accomodate that number of people and bags?
Apr 12th, 2007, 09:36 PM

Careful, the 3pm ferry talked about leaves from Lavrio not Rafina. I wouldn't want you to go to the wrong port! The Rafina ferry leaves at 4:15pm and goes to Mykonos with a connection to Syros.

If you have a lot of luggage you might need two taxis, although I am always amazed at how the taxi drivers sqweeze an extra bag into their boot.

Its not far to Lavrio, or Rafina, so even if its tight inside it won't be for long.

Can't answer for sure re checking in your bags, although I would be doubtful if you could. You usually do that once you are on the ferry