Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > continued back from rome, florence venice

continued back from rome, florence venice

Aug 8th, 2001, 11:25 AM
amy

continued back from rome, florence venice

sorry about that! WATCH THE MOSQUITOS!!! we got eaten alive.
Also- in venice, Calda Pizza (past san trovaso restaurant and over the canal. it's on your right with a white and green awning with no sign. gelato is in the front. Their quattro formaggi pizza is to die for! 5,000L for pizza and water.

This is very brief, but please reply if you would like any more info. Again, thank you to those who helped so much!

Aug 8th, 2001, 11:49 AM
BB

Amy!

Could you be more specific than "past San Trovaso restaurant and over the canal" for Calda Pizza?

Pleeeze tell us more about your trip!

Aug 8th, 2001, 01:42 PM
mary kay

Amy: I would love to hear your impressions of your trip since we"ll be going in October. Could you email me your info? Thanks, Mary Kay

Aug 8th, 2001, 01:58 PM
Dee

Amy, I'd also love to hear more. I'll be in those cities in two weeks!!

Question for anyone...for train travel in Italy, is it best to purchase tickets here in the States or while in Italy? I'm not sure if I wanted a rail and drive pass or just tickets from Rome to Florence and Venice. I'll be renting a car for the Tuscany area

Aug 8th, 2001, 02:09 PM
amy

Dee,
that's an easy one. we had a wonderful experience. I found out how much the train would cost and around what times they ran. when we were in rome, we went to the american express office and bought all of our tickets at once, no commission. it took about 10 minutes total and then we didn't have to wait in the lines at the stations. Also, be sure to buy your tickets between venice and rome as soon as you can, especially if you want 1st class adn non-smoking. we had to take a later train to get them. That train seems to take forever since it goes back through florence to rome. By the way...the train ride between florence and rome is absolutely beautiful...fields and fields of sunflowers. buy some cheese, bread and fruit at the central market in florence or a grocery in rome and bring it with you. SOOOO good!

Aug 8th, 2001, 02:17 PM
amy

hello to those who responded to this message. please see the beginning of the message on another posting "just back from rome, florence =, venice"

Also,
Calda pizza...get off at the accademia bridge. turn right down a narrow corridor. I think it's calle gambera. when you hit the canal turn left. pass the san trovaso restaurant (which is supposed to be good). go ove the san trovaso canal (the bridge on the right) continue straight and you will see the pizza place on your right. it has a green and white awning and looks like it sells gelato only, but the pizza part is behind the gelato. you will know you're there since there is a very small bridge facing the pizza place. A great spot to sit and eat your pizza. we ate there every day. if you like gorgonzola (which I did not know I did) you will love the quattro formaggi pizza.

Aug 8th, 2001, 03:44 PM
Lois

Amy- were you pleased with your hotel in Venice. I am trying to make reservations for next summer(Venice) and would love some input. I will be traveling with my husband and our two children ages 11 and 13.

Aug 8th, 2001, 04:01 PM
BB

Thanks Amy!

Aug 8th, 2001, 08:56 PM
Sylvia

Amy - Which city did you run into mosquitos? I'm going in mid-September to these 3 cities. Did you take 1st or 2nd class trains between the cities? What were the women wearing?
Thank You

Aug 9th, 2001, 10:50 AM
amy

Very pleased with Pensione accademia in Venice, although it may be pricey out of season. Just the gardens, patio to eat breakfast, and location were worth the price. The rooms are somewhat plain, but very clean and nice bathrooms. Our room was 2 flights up (#24) and looked out over the grand canal and side canal. Can't wait to go back. Also, we took 1st class everywhere since we were there in July/August and my husband gets a ltiile cranky in the extreme heat. May be woth the extra $50 total for all three legs of that trip.

The mosquitos were out after dark in the AI Cungi trattoria in Venice while sitting in the small patio/courtyard area. Still worth it to go there and sit outside. Just bring your skin so soft!

Aug 9th, 2001, 11:40 AM
robin

Amy:

I did eat at the San Trovaso restaurant and it was good (a Venice visit in Oct-2000).

Search this Thread