connemara accom

Old Jul 27th, 2000, 10:19 AM
Deb

connemara accom

We're looking for a central Connemara location for two days. I'm trying to narrow it down to what town and where to stay. Thinking Recess or Oughterard. One consideratoin is we'll have a 4 yr. old, but we don't mind paying a little extra for somewhere nice.

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 10:43 AM
marrianne

Hi Deb, we've recently got back from Renvyle where we stayed in a lovely B&B called Sunnymeade. This was a great place because although on the coast it was close to Kylemore Abbey, beautiful beaches, Clifden and many other sights. Hope you enjoy it.

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 01:14 PM
David

Deb: <BR> <BR>My wife and I went to Ireland last September and started our two weeks in a lovely place in Oughterard called the River Run Lodge for three days. It sounds like it could be exactly what you are looking for. It is a little more upscale than a typical B&B, but the house sits on a beautiful river and is right out of town which you can walk to. <BR> <BR>The owners were simply fabulous and you can eat downstairs at their restaurant. Oughterard is a lovely spot because you can easily access Galway and the western side of Ireland. I believe they have a website or are featured on one of the Ireland/Connemara regions website's. I called directly and booked a room with no problem.

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 01:21 PM
DAvid

Deb: <BR> <BR>Found the number in my files, it is 091 552697. Hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail directly.

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 09:18 AM
Deb

Thanks. I think we've narrowed it down to River Run Lodge and Cregg Castle. Both look wonderful.

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 09:36 AM
Sandra

Deb, <BR> <BR>We'll be staying at Cregg Castle Sept. 3 & 4th. I'll be glad to let you know what it's like. When are you going? <BR> <BR>Sandra

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 10:12 AM
Deb

Sandra <BR>We're going Oct. 19th. I'd love to hear your imressions. Let me know if it's okay for children.

Old Sep 17th, 2000, 07:45 AM
adrienen

Deb <BR>Oughterhard is 18km from Galway. The Connemara Gateway and Connemara Coast hotels there often have specials in October. Ougherhard is on Lough Corrib and with a regular bus service to Galway City if you didn't feel like driving in. Hotels have a small leisure centre with swimming pool. <BR>Would also advise checking out the Renvyle House Hotel's website www.renvyle.com. It is Oliver St John's Gogharty's house, the scenery around the area is amazing. Not very good of 4 year olds but I know you can take day trips the offshore islands from either Cleggan (Inishbofin) or Rosseaval (Aran Islands) and you can also take a trip on Killary Fjord (60 mins and costs approx £10). Kylemore Abbey is nearby. There is a diving centre in Renvyle. Again October is a good time for "specials". Just remember distances are deceptive and take much longer to travel so build in a little more time. <BR> <BR>If you visit Dublin there is a great children's museum called The Ark which regularly have special activities for children. <BR> <BR>Have a great holiday. <BR>Adrienne

Old Sep 18th, 2000, 10:42 AM
Sandra

Deb, <BR> <BR>Just got back and wanted to report to you on Cregg Castle. It was everything I had hoped for and I think it would be a good location for children although here weren't any there on our visit. It reminded me of one of the English Country Homes that you see on PBS series . You know where everyone goes for the week end and hunts and rides horses? Anyway, there are animals, a ruined church, a graveyard, cattle, sheep, chickens and lots of space to roam. (Bring boots it could be muddy.) The outbuildings have not been restored and have old implements and junk in them so you'd have to keep your child under supervision. But there are lots of places to explore on the grounds. <BR>The castle has a huge dining room with a large table set for about 25 where you have breakfast. Wonderful irish breakfast with homemade plum preserves. There were also a couple of smaller tables if you wanted to eat alone. In the Great Room around nine o'clock in the evening, Anne Mare & Patrick entertained by the fire with traditional irish music. She played the bodhron (sp?) and he the pipes. It was wonderful, sitting by candlelight, sipping some wine, smelling the peat fire, and listening to the music. (Not sure about a 4 yr-old enjoying it). Our room was lovely with a four poster bed and high vaulted ceiling. A meadow outside our window had a flock of sheep in it every a.m. when it was still misty and then later they would disappear into some other fields. <BR> <BR>Ireland is grand... <BR>Sandra <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 08:05 AM
Lori

Addrienne, <BR> <BR> how long would you say it takes to drive to the Connemara Region from Salthill (Galway)? In you reply to Deb you stated it's 18 km from Galway. Do you suggest we spend the night? <BR> <BR>Any other one day car trips you can suggest? We are going in the Summer 2001 but I like to plan ahead of time in case I need to make reservations. <BR> <BR>Thanks. <BR>

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 08:24 AM
irish

The trip from Salthill to Connemara (we took our time and it was about two hours) is definitely doable in one day. It is a lovely ride with lots of local color. The restaurant choices are numerous and wonderful and plenty of shopping too! Have a wonderful trip!

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 04:51 PM
kam

Just returned from Ireland where we stayed in Clifden at the Mal Dua Guesthouse. They have a website. Owners are terrific--have raised their own kids, live on premises, welcome children and provide cots, extra beds etc. From Clifden you can get to almost anywhere in Connemara. Mal Dua is a five star guesthouse, but quite reasonably priced and includes breakfast and serves "light meals" throughout the day which would satisfy a four year old. Resident spaniel as well.

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 03:09 AM
Adrienne

Lori <BR> <BR>Just back from holidays so apologies for taking so long to get back. There are two ways to go to Oughterard - one is thru Galway on the main road (which takes about half hour) and the other is a very scenic route via Moycullen which probably takes an hour. <BR> <BR>Any idea where you will stay in Salthill. Two places that are recommended (though I have NEVER stayed in either) is Galway Bay Hotel and Norman Villa. <BR> <BR>As regards day-trips - would definitely recommend a trip to the Aran Islands - you can fly or take the boat - boat goes from Rossaveal and company runs a bus to meet boat. Also visit Kylemore Abbey. <BR> <BR>Happy planning and any other info you require just contact me. <BR>Adrienne

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 10:12 PM
t

t