Reload this Page >

Connecting on a budget European carrier DUS to MUC

Notices

Old Nov 28th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and her friend are planning to meet my husband and I in Munich in March '07. She and her friend will be traveling ATL-DUS landing at 7:25 a.m. and need to go on to Munich that day. They booked the tickets ATL - DUS when they were on a great sale and can't be changed (we called Delta to inquire).

There are several inexpensive carriers that serve the route, but we are concerned about a delayed transatlantic flight causing them to miss their connecting flight. What would be the result if this happens? Do they lose the flight completely or would they be re-booked on a later flight? There are numerous flights that day. Air Berlin and DBA have the best rates and flight times (they may codeshare?).

If they land at 7:25, what would be a "safe" departure time for the DUS-MUC flight under average circumstances? Options include 09:55, 11:40, 14:30 departures.

I checked into booking through a skyteam member so the 2nd portion of the trip could be added to the first itinerary, but it wasn't feasible from what I could tell.

Also, they are a bit nervous about navigating a foreign airport on their own. Is DUS fairly easy to navigate? I'm hoping it's not anything like CDG!
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 12:27 AM

Yes, they have to count on losing the flight completely if they miss it. I have travel insurance that provides compensation if I miss an unrelated flight at the same airport, provided I have left four hours in-between the flights. They could look into getting that. Or they could figure out a plan B - like if they miss their flight, they'll get the train. But the fact you say they need to be in Munich precisely that same day is a bit worrisome.

Under most circumstances, the 11:40 flight would be fine. Of course it does happen that people are delayed on their transatlantic flights for several hours - I've seen posts about that quite frequently. You could easily imagine a complication like a mechanical problem or a storm.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 12:30 AM

Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who seem to manage at CDG...they just don't post here.

To me the obvious choice would be wait until the 11:40 departure.

To find out the consequences of missing a flight I think you would have to check on the DBA website.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 12:32 AM

The train, BTW could take anywhere between 5 and seven hours depending on departure time and the connection would involve an S-Bahn trip between DUS and the RR station. Are your sister and her friend flexible enough for that eventuality?

To me a "several hour" transatlantic delay would be more the exception than the rule but who can say for certain?
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 08:03 AM
ira

Hi G,

You can find out about DUS at www.duesseldorf-international.de/