Notices

A weekend in London - brief report

Old Nov 29th, 2006, 02:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A weekend in London - brief report

Just back from a long weekend in London and have a few recommendations.

We arrived late on Friday evening and stayed at the Montagu Place townhouse hotel. It's a gorgeous boutique hotel in a lovely area - close to Marleybone and Baker Street stations, and within walking distance of the gorgeous Marleybone High Street and Oxford Street. We had a comfy room which was, indeed, very comfy! http://www.montagu-place.co.uk/

On Saturday we had a great lunch at Don Felipe tapas bar on The Cut. After that we went to see A Moon for the Misbegotten at the Old Vic - excellent play and Kevin Spacey was brilliant. I loved the Old Vic.

That evening we met friends for a drink at the bar in the Mandeville Hotel before having dinner at Galvin on Baker Street. Galvin was excellent - beautiful French Bistro-style food and reasonably priced. http://www.galvinbistrotdeluxe.co.uk/

On Sunday we went to a wedding (our main reason for the trip!) and on Monday we spent a few hours shopping - Selfridges and Marleybone High Street before catching our afternoon flight home.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 02:51 AM
tod

Thanks for sharing cailin - Now I have a few new places added to my ever growing list of places to stay.
I bet not many people know where The Cut is??? I only know because an old guy who used to work in County Hall when it was still a Government building told me he used to go for a drink after work in The Cut.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 03:13 AM

Don Felipe On The Cut was called somethings else when I used to go there for lunch many years ago. A good place to spot stage actors and actresses in those days. Glad to hear that this place still serves good food despite change of name and management. Thanks Cailin for sharing with us.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Don Felipe was very busy too, which is usually a good sign. Friends of ours had tried to get in there one evening and said the queues were out the door! I'm getting hungry just thinking about the tapas!

Another thing I should have mentioned is that you would definitely need reservations for Galvin - we booked several weeks in advance and I was glad we did - it was very busy!
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 07:19 AM

In case anyone's checking their A-Zs, Cailin means MARYLEBONE High St and station
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

woops! sorry for the typo!!
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 08:27 AM

Thanks for the post cailin....Your hotel is relatively new (I think) since it wasn't there when I lived on Montague Place a few years back!!

There are lots of nice little restaurants just to the north of the hotel as well.

Best, Dave