Search

confusion on trenitalia site

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
confusion on trenitalia site

trying to book tickets on trenitalia.

read all the horror reports about cc's but my problem with their site is completely different. I can't get past the selection page. When I put in my desired dates and destinations it shows a schedule and when I click on the bubble to select my choice and click next it just displays another page with more options???? i tried several different ways and destinations all with the same result. 1st and 2nd class read NA for all choices? I tried it for dates this week as well.
Old Oct 17th, 2009, 04:49 PM

Dates? Cities?
Old Oct 17th, 2009, 04:54 PM

Hi Banff, where are you now? If you are in the US then it does seem to be difficult to achieve. More often than not, once you get to the point of entering credit card details the booking will be rejected at that point.

However, booking tickets at the train stations in Italy is VERY easy. Often the best choice is to go to the train station in whichever major city you arrive in and book all of your train tickets then. The machines offer an English language option and from then it's easy. Alternatively, you can join the queue and book through the ticket sales office.

Where are you going and when?
Old Oct 17th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

I'm in the US but my problem is not the credit card - I won't even let me get to that point. When I select the train and date I want and click next it just goes to another page of more train/date options. I looked for another button to click like 'submit' but found nothing.

I am trying to go from Rome to Siena on Nov 24. I did try dates for this coming week just to see if I could get past that point but no such luck.
Old Oct 17th, 2009, 05:32 PM

I see just above the place where you enter the city names it says:

<i>To make a purchase you have to register</i>

Have you done so? I haven't tried to purchase online recently (booked my tickets at machines last month). Maybe you must register and login before you get any option to purchase.
Old Oct 17th, 2009, 06:01 PM

You can't book regional train online this far ahead. The tickets are only available online 7 days before travel. There's no reason to reserve this type of ticket, since it's not really for a particular train and has no reserved seat. From your other post, your itinerary is a simple one on regional trains--no reason at all to book before you arrive in Rome.
Old Oct 17th, 2009, 06:03 PM

By the way, if you want to check schedules and prices at Trenitalia, just use the date of October 20 (this Tuesday) since November 24 is a Tuesday. Schedule and prices will be the same.
Old Oct 17th, 2009, 06:22 PM
GAC

Banff: If you're travelling between Rome and Siena, the SENA lines direct bus is a better option that the train. Look up schedules and fares at:

www.sena.it
Old Oct 17th, 2009, 07:48 PM

From Banff other post, they are considering a stop in Orvieto along the way, so train is better in that case. But GAC's point about the bus is correct if making the direct trip to Siena.
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 02:02 AM

Hi Banff - I agree with Ellenem's comment. No need to book in advance on those routes. Save yourself the hassle

Steve
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Great information! Thanks.
I will definetly check out the bus line and prices - since I never got a price quote on trenitalia b/c I couldn't get that far - is the bus significantly cheaper? With the information provided I may just take the bus and then rent a car for one day from Siena to hit various Tuscan/Umbrian towns? Suggestions welcomed.
Andrew - I tried to register but it would not let me. YOu may be correct. I just assumed that it would at least show me the prices like it showed me the schedule - without letting me actually book.
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Listening to everyone here - I feel more confident purchasing my train tickets in country but what if I decide to take a bus from Rome to Siena?? Should I purchase those in advance, online? Is the Rome bus station centrally located?
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 04:33 AM
GAC

The fare from Rome to Siena using two regionale trains and connecting in Chiusi Scalo is 13.10 Euros in second class. However, if you use an IC train between Rome and Chiusi, the total fare increases to 20.70 Euros (but you don't always save time doing so).

The regular published fare on the SENA bus is 20 Euros, but there are also lower internet special fares available depending on departure date and time. BEWARE that the SENA buses depart from Tiburtina bus station in Rome, NOT Termini train station. The bus will always be faster than the train, by a minimum of 30 minutes.