Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have a magic want for use at the Trenitalia website?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done my best to read previous posts about people who have had success on the Trenitalia website.

I am trying to buy advance tickets through the site, and no matter the credit card I use to complete the purchase, I continually recieve a "Purchase Declined" error advising me that the required 3 digit security code from the back of the card needs to be inserted in the purchase form.

Needless to say, I *am* placing the three digit security code into the form.

Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem? Should I stand on one foot and jump up and down? Should I rub my belly and pat my head?

Any help appreciated!
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 03:07 AM
J62

My wand has been using Citibank's virtual credit card # - one of their identity theft solutions.

If you are a customer check the website.

There is a long thread entitled "how I bought tickets on trenitalia" floating around. Maybe someone can find it and top if for you.

The bottom line is that you really don't need to purchase train tickets before you arrive in Italy.
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 05:47 AM
ira

Hi D,

Trenitalia's problem seems to be in the computer system being used for transactions.

What train are you taking?

Old Sep 20th, 2008, 05:48 AM
ira

PS,

You did notify your CC company that you would be making this purchase?
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 06:33 AM

Are you trying to book a ticket for no more than 60 days in advance? (No later than November 20, 2008)

I too never purchase before I arrive there. . . .
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 06:45 AM

This web site doesn't work for most American's and American CC. Give up. No matter how hard you try, it won't work.Give up.

We called Pantheon Travel in Rome, who booked the tickets for us and e-mailed them to me. This worked perfectly.
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 06:49 AM

After failures using several credit cards and several email addresses, what I always found was that "purchase declined" did NOT get initiated by my credit card companies. The CC customer service said there were no record of ever receiving any request for authorization, so there was nothing to "decline."

Ira's explanation is most plausible.

So what are the alternatives?

First, I had to forgo any online promotions.

1. Wait until you get to Italy. This works if the circumstances are correct -- right days, right time, right route. If people only travel during these times, waiting until getting to Italy always seems to be the right solution. However, I have traveled during Easter and I was glad I was able to buy online tickets. Long ticket lines, vending machines. Trains were overflowing with people.

2. In case of international trains involving Italy, you can usually buy tickets from the "other" country's web site.

3. Then there is Raileurope web site. Usually works, usually very expensive.
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 07:04 AM

I have used RailEurope with great success, however, I have been told that it is more expensive.

Fortunately we've only used the train for relatively short distances and the convenience and peace of mind was worth using RailEurope so we knew we had tickets in hand before the trip.
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

Raileurope wants around $40 USD for a ticket that is 11 euro dollars on the Trenitalia website.

@Images2: Any chance you have an email address for Pantheon Travel?

@Ira: We want to take the 8:55am from Rome to Chiusi on Saturday, October 18th.

Old Sep 20th, 2008, 12:28 PM

For a train from Rome to Chiusi I would go to the train station that morning and buy a ticket. Do you really think it will be sold out?
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 12:37 PM

Keep in mind: your Rome-Chiusi train is an IC. The ticket does not come with a reserved seat. If you want a guaranteed seat, you must request a reservation and pay a small additional fee. I would not bother purchasing this ticket before I arrived.
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 12:39 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm in Italy now and you won't have any problem buying your tickets when you get there. If you aren't departing day of arrival, you should be able to still get the Amica fare. I wouldn't pay RailEurope $40 for an 11€ ticket. Did that include their mailing fee too? They always make people think tickets need to be mailed with is a source on income for them I think.

Some of the slower trains are as little as 20 minutes slower on some routes, but much cheaper. The difference between my travel from Orvieto to Chiusi on a 20 minute versus 28 minute ride was about 5€. I can sit on a train 8 minutes longer for 5€!
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 12:47 PM

Yes I agree with Sculptor. Even Rome to Florence you can buy at the station. Chiusi is an excellent spot off the beaten path.
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 01:02 PM

I would feel bad if I missed out on a significant price savings due to this credit card problem. However, as best as I can see, the walkup price for the Rome - Chiusi ticket is 15 Euros, so it may not be worth the grief of trying to make the site work.
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

My concern with making certain the train is not full is as follows: We have to pick up a rental car in Chiusi before 1:00pm on Oct 18 as that is the time the rental office closes. If we somehow miss this pickup, the office is not open on Sunday and we must wait until Monday. Big problem.

So, being a worrier like I am I would have liked to have the ticket purchase done ahead of time.

I assume that what several of you are telling me is that a Saturday train will not be a problem?

kybourbon and Motorino: I will be able to buy the ticket the day before, no worries, so do you think this will be sufficient?

Motorino: We are heading from Chiusi to just near Sarteano for a villa rental for one week. Any suggestions from you on that? We plan to take the train to Florence rather than drive there on one day, but other than that we will do the hill towns.
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 01:54 PM

I can understand why you don't want to risk being able to pick up your rental car. Alternatively, why not pick your car up in Rome, where the time would not be an issue? It's not *that* bad driving out of Rome. Or perhaps Orvieto keeps longer hours on Saturday?
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 01:55 PM

I can understand why you don't want to risk being able to pick up your rental car. Alternatively, why not pick your car up in Rome, where the time would not be an issue? It's not *that* bad driving out of Rome, nor is it all *that* much time to drive that leg. Or perhaps Orvieto keeps longer hours on Saturday?
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 02:05 PM

This is an IC train--the seats NEVER "sell out"--you will be able to get on this train no matter what happens. Anyone with any IC ticket for Rome to Chiusi can get on this train. It is like getting on a local commuter train with no assigned seats. People who can't find a seat are allowed to stand in the halls.

However, if you want to be guaranteed a seat, buy a reserved seat when you buy your ticket. You will receive TWO tickets--one good for any Rome to Chiusi ride, and one for a reserved seat on this particular train.

For trains like ES, your ticket is for a particular train with a particular seat assignment, so you can't ride any ES but the one for which you hold a ticket.
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 02:11 PM

I wrote: However, if you want to be guaranteed a seat, buy a reserved seat when you buy your ticket.

For more clarity, if you want to be guaranteed a seat to sit in, and not get stuck with a standing place in the hall, buy a reserved seat when you buy your ticket.

This train has no limits to how many people can board it--just how many people can sit in seats.
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 02:15 PM

I would be more worried about a delay in your flight landing in Rome, than I would about the Rome to Chiusi ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -