Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Confusing Care rental in Italy Continued . . . Locauto?

Old Jul 26th, 2012, 12:23 PM
moo
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all of you who have offered an opinion on my first post of this subject. Now, another question. I used some of you advice and contacted rentalcars.com to book a car. I called them (they had a US phone number even though they are located in the UK) to ask some questions and booked a car. I booked an automatic midsized car and elected to book a rate that has zero excess insurance. The renting company is a local company called Locauto. So. . . . anyone have any experience with Locauto?

The UK telephone helper asked for my country of residence and proceeded to quote me prices in US Dollars. When I told him i would rather pay in pounds, he looked those up as well and those prices were at least $400 less than the dollar quotes.

Now, my question is Locauto? Who are they and what should I expect? I know, I am used to renting from Hertz and am willing to step out of my comfort zone but I hope they are good? okay? reputable? Help. What have your experiences been with either rentalcars.com or Locauto? I hope that by paying for the zero deductible I should not have any problems if an accident were to occur.

Another company that keeps popping up is Maggiore. I have heard of them but never used them. Anyone have experience with them? I looks like they don't offer unlimited miles however.

Thanks for your wise answers.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 06:30 PM

I have not rented from them. BUT if you do a goggle search you will find a lot of complaints about them. including a lot of recent posts on TripAdvisor . I think you should read those posts and then decide. Sometimes a cheap rental turns into an expensive deal. You want to enjoy your trip and know exactly what you paid for and not have any nasty surprises on your credit card bill.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 06:34 PM

I replied to your first post. Check out Emwell
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 06:35 PM

I meant Kemwel.
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 02:11 AM

Has anyone ever used Bob Bestor's company or car rental?
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 11:07 AM

Believe me: don´t use LOCAUTO. They charge me 610 Euro for a damaged glass that i was reporting before driving the car and it was in the damage report. I am fighting since a month they do not answer or they just say they can´t do nothing!!!!! Look everywhere on the net. They have a fleet of less then 100 cars and there are a plenty of people backcharged also for things not visible in the car. Looking at the feedback you can be sure to be ripped.
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 06:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.yelp.com/biz/locauto-mi

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...+italy&lrd=lrd

http://locauto-car-rental.pissedconsumer.com/

Really, no one has anything nice to say about the company.
Old Oct 22nd, 2014, 05:54 AM

Stay away from LOCAUTO car rental Company.
They have lots of tricks.
I have rented an economy car from Locauto two weeks ago.
I picked up the car on time and return it back on time.
Just 1- 2 km before I returned the car at Rome Fiumicino airport. I fulled the gas tank and received an invoice. Then I drove 1- 2 km to the car rental office. Sometimes, the pointer of the gas tank on the front panel reacts slowly. The pointer did not showed ‘FULL’ at the time of return. I told the boy working for Locauto that I had the receipt. He was insensible and rude. He did not accepted the receipt and told met hat I have to pay a fine. As I had two more hours of time, I drove back to the gas station. The man working at the gas station opened the hood of the car, disconnect the cable of the car battery and then reconnect the cable. The pointer began to reacted correctly. He told met hat this is a TRICK that some car rental companies do.
Old Oct 22nd, 2014, 06:33 AM

I guess you mean car rental.
Old Oct 22nd, 2014, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to be boring, but onderuretmen is yet another poster whose only ever contribution is to attack Locauto.

I've never used them and have no idea as to whether they are good or bad, but every month or so somebody comes on to attack the company, and never posts again. To me it looks like an organised campaign against a rival.