Confused about buying TGV tickets online

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read everything I could find on this site before purchasing TGV tickets online and thought I knew what I was doing. Using the English version of sncf.com I purchased tickets from Paris to Avignon and from Avignon to Brussels (2 separate transactions). On the Paris to Avignon trip, I purchased 2 PREM and 2 Discovery Child Plus tickets. I could not find any function that would allow me to print my tickets. It told me that they would be mailed free of charge. It made me give an address and I gave my daughter's "soon to be" address in Belgium. On the Avignon to Brussels trip, I was only able to purchase 1 PREM ticket. The others were Normal fare tickets. Not sure why it wouldn't give me 2 PREM tickets. Again, I could find no function to print the tickets. On the summary of my order there was a statement that said I should collect the order at the Boutique SNCF in Brussels.

I received the email confirmation of the tickets and it stated that we would receive the tickets in a few days at my daughter's address which I supplied.

What have I missed? Can I print the tickets? (how?) Do I pick up the tickets in Brussels? Do I hope my daughter takes possession of her house in Waterloo before the tickets reach there by post? Or do I need to contact SNCF? How do I do that?

Sorry, I know this whole thing sounds incredibly stupid. I have purchased online tickets before, but never thru SNCF. I am obviously missing something. Thanks for any help you can give me on this.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 06:48 PM

I don't know what happened here, but you chose certain options when you purchased, and you can't change them now. If you chose to have them delivered, you cannot print them now. If they were regular tickets, you can never print them. I don't know why you couldn't get two PREMs but perhaps it's what you asked for -- I suspect you cannot try to get special fares and combine them with PREMs. It's alos just possible they didn't have any more PREMs available.

Choosing to print PREMs is a choice you get when you purchase -- print or delivery. YOu can't do it later.

I think there has been a report or two from folks on here recently who said they were not given the option to print PREMs. I don't know about that, as I always have had that option when I purchased some online last summer. It sounds like your order is split and some of the tickets are being mailed (to the address you gave them, hope you get them), and the rest need to be picked up. I didn't know they had SNCF boutiques in Brussels, but it appears you put Belgium in the box as to the country where you want to collect the tickets.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 08:38 PM

I don't think SNCF allow you to print tickets when you travel outside of France as your final destination. The print ticket option just never comes up, PREMs or no PREMs.

This is an ongoing question, with never a satisfactory answer - sorry!

I emailed them really quickly and asked to change the address to read my home address with the country Australia, instead of France which was the only option. I was very lucky and got a really helpful person who hand-altered the address and sent it to Oz.

Good luck.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 11:53 PM

You may only print tickets when ALL of your tickets are printable in the order. As they were not all Prem's on each order you cant print any of the tickets. The tickets will be mailed to the addy in Brussels and the SNCF will not do much for you. The other tickets that have to be picked up will indeed be available at a SNCF boutique in Brussels.

Bottom line is, if you wish to print tickets, you should see that option available to you on the last page BEFORE you put in your credit card. If the only options are mail and pick up then you will not be given the choice to print later. Printable fares are as follows:

Prem's
Last Minute Offers
Thalys ticket (certain fares and destinations only)
iDTGV ticket
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

OK...I've calmed down now. MorganB, thanks. It appears the reason I did not have the print option was the fact that I was purchasing 2 Discovery Child Plus tickets . I just found out today that my son in law will be in Belgium starting Monday, so he can watch for the tickets in the mail. I was concerned because my daughter and I are not scheduled to fly to Belgium for another three weeks. If the tickets don't come in the mail, he will go to the SNCF boutique. Thanks for the info!!
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 06:48 AM

Anyone confused by the web site is welcome to the club!

Only buying tickets once a year, I order them over the phone and they arrive in the mail a couple of weeks later.