Using SNCF website from USA?

Nov 4th, 2003, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Using SNCF website from USA?

I've always used RailEurope in past and then began to realize how much more they charged. So, browsing for trip to Paris, etc., in March,'04 (I know you can't book that far ahead; I used closer date, just to try it), and got a little message on the sncf.com that it can't be booked on there from USA. I know I've read of people doing it on here; what's the story on this? Thank you for shedding any light on this.
Nov 4th, 2003, 09:06 AM

Grandmere: I use the SNCF site with some regularity to book tickets, and have never gotten that message. Perhaps if you provide more specific information about what you are trying to book and for what dates I and others could help you.
Nov 4th, 2003, 09:15 AM
JonJon

I'd like to know what the procedure is for picking up tickets you have booked...my understanding is they cannot be mailed to the US. Is this true? And if not, what is the procedure?

Nov 4th, 2003, 09:27 AM
ira

Hi all,

To get your tickets online from SNCF set the country for pickup to FRANCE, and use the electronic ticketing option.

You will get a confirmation code.

Bring your confirmation and THE SAME CC to which you charged the tickets to the train station to get your tickets.
Nov 4th, 2003, 09:37 AM

For most tickets, you just print out the confirmation and pick them up at any SNCF boutique or train station. Be sure when picking them up you have the same credit card with you that you used to charge the tickets.

For PREM tickets, you print out the actual ticket on your own printer and bring them with you - no need to visit an SNCF office OR to "composte" the ticket.
Nov 4th, 2003, 09:41 AM

There have been several quite detailed threads on this subject, one not too long ago with someone who gave very lengthy and detailed instructions (I forget who, someone French, maybe hanl).

I have also used it from the US and have never gotten any message telling me I can't book from the US, so I suspect perhaps you are telling them you are in the US in the location box or something. No, foreign railroads aren't going to mail you train tickets all over the world.
Nov 4th, 2003, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

St.Cirq, I am just wondering what morning times I can get a TGV to Annecy and what times I can get a return to Paris, arr. in the evening, on weekdays, and what the cost would be, second class.

Also, how does one qualify for a PREM ticket? And another also, does one have to be a member of an EU country to qualify for a 60 and over ticket?

Thanks, everyone, for all the replies.
Nov 4th, 2003, 10:05 AM

Grandmere:

I just plugged in random dates in November, asking for a morning train to Annecy and an afternoon train back, both on weekdays, and it tells me that there is a train at 9:50 a.m., arriving Annecy at 13:36, or one at 11:04, arriving Annecy at 14:53. For the return the best looking option is one leaving 13:38 from Annecy, arriving Paris 17:11.

All are TGV trains. The full fare is 76.40€ in second class - the Découverte Senior fare is 57.20€.

As far as I know, anyone can qualify for discount fares. I've asked for and gotten them on quite a few occasions (though I don't qualify - yet - for the senior one, so have no specific experience there).

The PREM fares are listed on the SNCF site in the upper left-hand corner of the home page. Right now there are none to Annecy. I don't know if Annecy is ever on the PREM fare list, but they change all the time so it's worth checking periodically.
Nov 4th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, St. Cirq! I'll try using the site again.
Nov 4th, 2003, 12:46 PM

Let me emphasize that the same credit card is needed to complete the ticket acquisition process. I found this practice to be fairly common in France because it is a means of identification.

For example my tickets at the Opera Bastille were reserved in my name and my credit card number had been sent to them, but I had to show the card I originally used. I do not know what would have happened if I had not had it.
Nov 4th, 2003, 12:49 PM
JonJon

Thanks for the clarification, St. Cirq..much appreciated. I can understand why SNCF wouldn't mail tickets to the US given the fact that their subsidiary, Raileurope, is doing business here, but wasn't sure about setting the pick up point as France, etc.

Nov 4th, 2003, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Christina, I don't expect SNCF to send me a ticket here in the US or all over the world. I got the message I referred to when I clicked on Information and then on FAQs. One of the questions was to the effect of "why can't I book tickets from North America, Asia"( and other places).

St. Cirq, when I put in random dates in Dec. for Paris to Annecy or Strasbourg, I get a reply that there are no seats available for the dates I have chosen. Seems strange. I am not going to deal with this now; my trip is not until March, and we may not even leave Paris. At that time, depending upon our plans, I may send out an SOS to you to help navigate the site, or maybe I'll have it figured out by then! I appreciate your helpfulness!
Nov 4th, 2003, 08:35 PM

Grandmère: Feel free to contact me on Fodors on personally at [email protected] anytime when you are ready to make your reservation if you feel you need help. I'm always here for SOS's unless I'm in France, and then I'm usually within a couple of days of access to e-mail. Happy to oblige.