Concerns w/ getting back to Athens from Santorini in time for flight home

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2010, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Through my research, a number of you have recommended going to the island/s of choice first and saving Athens touring/plans till the end of a trip in order to ensure not have problems getting back to Athens for the flight home.

My question is, do you think it is still risky if we were to plan to leave Santorini on a Sunday for a Monday morning (6am) flight? Right now I am not sure if we are going to take a ferry or flight from Santorini back to Athens (flight prices on Aegean is 122E).
Thoughts?
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 05:02 PM

What you propose is what I do, go back to Athens the day before. I've been to Athens several times so as long as I get back the day before that's all that concerns me, but if you want time to explore the city give yourselves at least 2 full days there.

You don't say when you plan to do this, but if you think you might want to take the ferry instead of flying keep in mind that in July and August, when the Meltemi winds are at their strongest, is when the ferries can be cancelled. Giving yourselves a couple of extra days at the end will help prevent you from missing your flight home, not to mention keep your stress level to a minimum.

If you sign up for the Aegean Airlines newsletter as well as keep an eye out on their website you'll be informed a couple of months in advance of their promotional fares for your travel dates. You can do a lot better than €122. They'll get as low as €39 or possibly less, all taxes included, but you have to catch them as soon as they're released because they go fast.
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response brotherleelove. We are traveling in July. Currently, we have Athens planned for July 3-5 and accomodations booked on Santorini-Oia for the 8-11th (based on one of your recommendations). Leaving Santorini on the 11th back to Athens and then flight back home at 6am on the 12th.

Sounds like flying from Santorini is the safest, (in case there are issues with the Ferry). I have signed up for the Aegean newsletter. Thanks for that tip!

Still working on the middle part of our trip. Trying to decide on another island. Right now we are leaning toward Mykonos for the night of the 6th and 7th.

We are bringing 4 grown children (early 20's) with us and Mykonos seemed to be a good compliment to Santorini. We are all pretty active but do enjoy relaxing and lingering in order to take in the culture of our surroundings.

Thoughts or suggestions for the middle of the trip and/or another island is greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 06:17 PM

There's not much to see or do on Mykonos other than sunbathe, swim, shop and party in the expensive bars. It's not what I would call a haven for Greek "culture". I recommend you consider Naxos or Paros instead. They're closer to Sanotorini, much less expensive than Mykonos, and both have a lot more to satisfy your curiosity and occupy your time.
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 10:00 AM

Flights back to Athens are usually more dependable than ferries, but Blue Star Ferries are highly reliable, and sail in winds up to Force 8. If winds are any stronger than that, flights are likely to be cancelled as well. The afternoon Blue Star arrives in Piraeus around midnight, meaning you could head straight from there to the airport and wait a few hours until checking in for the flight. I have done just that many times, so far without a hitch.

Your 6am departure from Athens Airport means you will need to check in for the flight by 4am, so if you stay in a hotel you will get only a half night's sleep. I have to say, though, that going back to Athens the day before is a safer option.
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 12:00 PM

I would never count on the last flight of the day or last ferry of the day from ANYWHERE.

I would play it very safe and get to Athens late morning and enjoy a tour of the city.
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 12:34 PM

>There's not much to see or do on Mykonos other than sunbathe, swim, shop and party in the expensive bars<

From reading your messages basch0902 and with two of your family in their early 20's, Mykonos may be perfect for you. Mykonos town is the prettiest in the Cyclades and Delos, a very short boat trip from the town's port, is a must-see. Yes it can be done from Naxos but this is an easier hop.

Hellenic Seaways offer direct serves betwen the islands as does a small Cretan based airline. If I have any concerns it is that if you have only 2 days to spare much of it will be spent travelling.

But, I kind of think you guys will enjoy all of what lee has mentioned above. The beaches are superb as is the shopping and not all bars (and restaurants) are expensive. Indeed, a good few are a lot cheaper than those on Santorini ;-)

Yes, Santorini is spectacular but Mykonos is a fine contrast.

Then again, the beautiful islands of Naxos, Paros and Antiparos should be considered if you and your 20year olds prefer a quieter and cheaper alternative.

bill
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 02:23 PM

Lincasanova wrote: "I would never count on the last flight of the day or last ferry of the day from ANYWHERE."

I won't disagree with that. As I said, "...going back to Athens the day before is a safer option.", especially considering you have six air fares at stake. Yet, how often do we depend upon connecting flights with only three or four hours layover? I often take the chance, since I am a single traveller, and have only one air fare to gamble with.

Actually, since your flight departs at 6am, you have no choice but to go back the day before. There will probably be a Hellenic Seaways highspeed leaving Santorini earlier than the 4:00pm Blue Star. In 2009 Highspeed 5 departed daily during July at 11:45am, and arrived in Piraeus at 3:55pm. It also looks like Blue Star 2 will be departing Santorini at 7:40am on Sun Jul 11th 2010, arriving in Piraeus at 12:40pm. That would probably be your best ferry choice, as it arrives early in the day, and you have two other ferries to fall back on.
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your reponses. Based on all of your help we are now planning to take the 7:40 am on the 11th and spend the rest of the day in Athens. In doing this we are thinking we can reduce the days we had planned up front in Athens from 3 to 2 days and then add one more for Mykonos. So our final itn looks like:

July 3-4 - Athens
July 5-7 - Mykonos
July 8-11th (am) Santorini
July 11th pm - Athens.

Thank you all again for your help. This is why I love this site!!!

In addition, we have decided to go to Mykonos as it seems to be a better fit for our family (especially the 20 year olds

Thanks again for all of your help.
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 11:45 PM

Connecting flights with 2-3-4hr layovers ( or less) on the same ticket have no similar consequences to the scenario we are talking about.

Each one plans and lives by the stress they can handle. Missed flights and having to re-book or buy new tickets would financially set a lot of people back a LOT.

Everyone just needs to weigh the consequences should something go wrong and decide if they are willing to accept that.

The trip sounds wonderful. Enjoy!
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 11:46 PM

Your new itinerary looks good to me. Continue checking the ferry websites, e.g. www.gtp.gr and www.openseas.gr/OPENSEAS/index_en.vm for any possible changes. Recommend you book your ferry tickets in advance for the return to Piraeus, as you are travelling on a Sunday in peak season.

For Athens to Mykonos, you have a choice of ports. Most ferries to Mykonos leave from Rafina, but there is one Blue Star departing daily from Piraeus. Either port is okay, but Piraeus is a little easier to reach from central Athens.

For Mykonos to Santorini you have a choice of a direct connection on FlyingCat 4, or SeaJet 2/Blue Star, with a change in Paros. FlyingCat 4 seems like a no-brainer, but there are some advantages in SeaJet 2/Blue Star. First, you will arrive on Santorini earlier, and second, you get a better view from Blue Star approaching Santorini. On balance, with such a large group it would be easier to book the direct connection.

Have a great trip.
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 12:04 AM

Lincasanova, as I wrote, I won't disagree with you, and even safer would be to return to Athens <i>two days</i> before the flight home. At any rate, the OP has decided to take the 7:40am Blue Star, which I think is a good choice.

It's always wise to keep an eye on the weather forecasts a few days before returning from the islands. If there is a Beaufort Force 9 Meltemi on the way, you usually get a little advance warning, and can return to the mainland early.

BTW, I always book my international and Greek domestic flights separately, so don't have the protection of a single ticket. I do this for two reasons: one, I can get a better deal that way, and two, the summer flight timetables to Paros, where I usually, fly aren't always out when I book the international flight. It also gives me the option of returning to Athens by ferry if I choose. I go to Greece twice a year, so know what I am doing. ;-)
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 06:40 AM

hi

I have a similar question... We have a flight from Santorini to Athens on our way out which arrives in Athens at 16:55pm. and our intl flight onward to Bahrain at 18:45pm.

Is this time enough - 1 hour and 50 mins, considering we have to do Immigration.

what do you think? do flights from Santorini to Athens take off and land on time generally?
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 08:18 AM

It's risky to cut it so close. What if something unforseen happens?

Generally, yes, flights are on time.