Concerns about Turkish bombings

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be taking a cruise next week, which will be making stops in Istanbul and Epheseus. I am concerned about the recent bombings. Is there reason to be concerned?
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 07:35 AM

My best, honest advice would be to relax and enjoy your trip. Bombings have happened in Turkey sporadically over the years, but there haven't been any sustained terrorist actions in the country aimed at tourists. I have every confidence that the Turkish authorities will do everything within their power to keep you safe.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 10:13 AM

"there haven't been sustained actions aimed at tourists"

Cobblers. Complete and utter balderdash.

Who do you think atacks in Antalya and Marmaris are trying - and succeeding - to kill?

Yesterday's attack on Antalya - the main gateway to SW Turkey for most European tourists - was the second in two months. Who were last July's attacks in Cesme aimed at? Or the attacks at Kusadasi in April last year?

True: in the grisly history of Turkish bombings over the past three years (see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5292122.stm for a list of this year's alone), attacks singling out tourists form only a minority of incidents.

But attacks aimed at British interests have been disturbingly common, with a bomb at an HSBC this year, after the November 2003 mass murder at the HSBC and British Consulate in Istanbul.

True of course, American tourists haven't been caught up in any of this.
So presumably Mr Stallings doesn't think the deliberate, sustained, targetted murders of foreign tourists, diplomats and businesspeople in Turkey over the past three years matter since the victims weren't American.

His German bosses, let's hope, will have a different view of this grotesque and offensive myopia.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 10:45 AM

I wasn't trying to create an international incident, much as flanneruk may think. And I value the lives of British holiday-makers just as much as I value the lives of Americans. I don't have any bosses in Germany telling me what to do, so let's try to leave the diatribes off this site and address the question at hand.

Relative safety is a difficult thing to judge these days. I'd go to London despite the recent problems with locally grown terrorists and the subway/bus bombings; I did go to Egypt last year, despite the bombings in Sharm El Sheik; and I'd probably still go to Turkey if I had the opportunity. Whether another traveler would make the same decision as I is the question, so I hope some of the other regular posters will chime in here to let us know what they think.

When fearful travelers such as Ed_M ask us questions about whether or not it's safe to visit certain destinations, it's hard to bring out a crystal ball and give a useful answer, particularly when terrorists---quite obviously---target tourist destinations.

If the cruise line feels that Turkish ports are too dangerous, they will probably call in alternate ports, so the problem may be solved for you. If you have insurance that allows you to cancel in the event of a terrorist incident, then you can probably do that (though certainly consult with your insurance company before you do). Only you can make this decision.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 10:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with Doug Stallings. Attacks in Turkey are unpredictable, but are closely watched by the tourist industry. No one can guarantee that nothing will happen, but generally the safest time to go somewhere is after a recent attack, when everybody is on alert.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:56 AM

I agree with Doug--cruise lines have a reputation to uphold; they're not going to put passengers in harms way. Enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:05 PM

It is all a matter of risk and comfort - not usre where you are from Ed but statistically you are probably more likely to be killed en route to the aiprort than by a terror attack.

Having said that Doug I do see a bit if a conflict in:

"Bombings have happened in Turkey sporadically over the years, but there haven't been any sustained terrorist actions in the country aimed at tourists. "

and

"When fearful travelers such as Ed_M ask us questions about whether or not it's safe to visit certain destinations, it's hard to bring out a crystal ball and give a useful answer, particularly when terrorists---quite obviously---target tourist destinations. "

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 01:19 PM

I went to Turkey last June. Based on my experiences there and what I have read, if I were to go back tomorrow, I would again NOT use public transportation. Many of these attacks seem to have happened on public transit. Maybe instead of doing a tour that the cruise offers, you could hire a private driver. Of course this does not guarantee safety at all!

If I were to travel independently again, I also would not visit the super- hyped tourist destinations like Marmaris or Kusadasi.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 01:39 PM

AP6380
I was very dissappointed to read your reply. I read your trip report and it was one that kept my interest piqued in Turkey as a travel destination. I have been planning a trip to Greece and Turkey for a couple of months for next June. My husband is not thrilled about going to Turkey and this was before the recent bombings. I agree with another poster who says that the odds are in our favor. Random violence in most U.S. cities does not usually deter travel to those cities. I would imagine the odds of becoming a victim to local violence is higher. Having said that I am disheartened to hear from someone who loved the country that they would not use public transportation. Our entire trip is designed using public transportation. For the first time I am considering changing our tickets to fly out of Athens in case things continue. I hope others will post on this topic.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 03:38 PM

I hardly EVER use public transportation on trips, I always rent a car. That being said, I take NYC subways everyday! I also work near Wall St. (an apparent "target&quot. Expressing that, my post probably doesn't seem too logical. I was just expressing my preferences, I certainly did not want to discourage anyone from traveling to this wonderful country.

You need to decide for yourself what you are comfortable with, noone can decide that for you. If I already had a trip planned for next June, I would just go.

I flew to Sicily a few weeks after the war in Iraq started, people thought I was nuts.

I'm sorry to have upset you!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 03:50 PM

Please also note that I said "Of course this does not guarantee safety at all!"

In my opinion, I am more likely to have something happen to me on a subway or near my work as opposed to when I am traveling.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 05:01 PM

My family went to Turkey last year (Istanbul, Cesme, Epheseus and Cappadocia). Although we had also read about bombings last year, it wasn't something that was going to change our mind.

Maybe because we are from NY, we took it in stride. I guess it depends on people's risk tolerance. We plan on going to London next month.

As for our time in Turkey, we did hire private tour guides/rent a car but we did take public transportation when we had a chance in Istanbul. It was a great trip with wonderful people.

Also, the others on this post are right, cruise lines will change the trip if they feel there is a problem.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 05:40 PM

Hi AP6380
Thank you for making the clarification. You didn't upset me, I was just looking for Fodorites like you who have made wonderful comments about the country to encourage others to go. It's really tough to make people feel comfortable about their fears. I had not previously considered renting a car in Turkey so now maybe it will be a consideration. I have read that driving in Turkey is a littel more ominous than in other countries. What was your experience?
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 05:52 PM

I have driven in Italy, Turkey and Greece and was very comfortable. Turkey, actually, was probably the easiest! Where I drove in Turkey was not nearly as curvey & twisty as in Italy and Greece. You can't beat the freedom of having your own car.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 06:16 PM

Thank you for you input. I will look into renting a car for a portion of our trip. I have been so excited about seeing Turkey that I have been having a hard time thinking about changing our plans. So far my husband has not heard about the recent bombings and I sure am not going to tell him. I am hoping the authorities will make a concerted effort to capture the culprits and keep tourism intact. Thank you for your encouragement.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 01:41 AM

I rented through Argeus Travel, their prices were good as I required an automatic.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 03:04 AM

According to the British media (actually the Telegraph is where I saw it) the attacks are more likely to occur in places popular with British tourists - apparently the Kurdish terrorists have got a beef with us about an organisation we banned).
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 11:56 AM

Is anyone changing their plans due to these attacks. Will be arriving Turkey 9/11 and am having a bit of anxiety over this. Planned to be in the resort towns and public transport.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 12:06 PM

I don't see any reason to change plans. You can get killed anywhere, it's not a war zone... OTOH it's not a high class destination for europeans, just inexpensive and (mostly) nice people, warm and sunny.