Search

Computer and packing

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2003, 06:36 PM
jmp
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Computer and packing

I am leaving for Paris tomorrow!. I will need my computer but don't want to bring it as a carry on. Is it safe to pack it in my suitcase - if so, is there a specific way I should pack it?

What if security decides to open my suitcase - should I be worried about theft?

thanks
Old May 19th, 2003, 06:59 PM

I don't believe that there is a way to pack a computer in checked baggage. To the contrary, I'm aware of at least one that was destroyed--they are very fragile. Wishing you a wonderful trip and time in Paris!
Old May 19th, 2003, 07:14 PM

Try the Paklite cabin bags which have a lid with several sections - designed to put your laptop andpapers in. I use this everytime I travel for conferences.
Old May 19th, 2003, 08:54 PM

My best piece of advice is: NEVER PACK SOMETHING IN YOUR CHECKED BAGS THAT WOULD CAUSE YOU HEARTBREAK (OR WORSE) IF IT DISAPPEARED FOREVER!

My husband and I have had our luggage delayed by 24 - 72 hourse a handful of times, and each time, we spent an agonizing 1 - 3 days mentally making lists of what we'd packed in our bags that we'd be devastated if we lost forever.

Fortunately, we've always gotten our bags in the end (knock on wood!), but we've spent harrowing hours mourning the (potential) loss of special items (me) and a work computer (him).

But have a GREAT time in Paris - I'm so jealous!
Old May 20th, 2003, 04:41 AM
ira

Hi jmp,

Mind telling us why you do't want to carry your computer on the plane? I would think that that is the best way.

Also, have you considered whether internet cafe's would be acceptable?
Old May 20th, 2003, 05:57 PM

Do NOT pack the laptop in your carry on. Yes you should be worried about TSA opening your luggage, baggage handlers etc. The airline will only reimburse you a limited amount (and it is pretty small on international flights!)Plus it is your word against their's that you packed a computer and they will fight you! If it is not a a Laptop and you are not moving to Paris leave it at home! If it is a laptop, put it in the bag, sling it over your shoulder and get on.
Old May 20th, 2003, 06:16 PM

I used to put the laptop in checked luggage from time to time on Intra Europe flights when I did not want to lug it around airports. . would sandwich between multiple layers of clothing for cushion. Never had any problems at all.

With current rules around unlocking luggage, I don't think I would do it now, particlarly on a trans-Atlantic flight. I have stuck it in the main carryon which has wheels to keep from lugging it. My current laptop is so light that it is not an issue.

Have fun . . Rich
Old May 20th, 2003, 09:02 PM

I was a business traveler with a laptop as an appendage for a long time... but even more so, I work in the computer industry. I've also some interesting stories on the condition of checked luggage after I've gotten it back. When I've gotten it back.

If you don't really <b>need</b> the laptop anymore, check it. Otherwise, I'd bite the bullet and carry it on. Maybe not in the laptop bag if you're holding the carry on space for something else, but try hard to squeeze it in.