Compounding pharmacy

Aug 31st, 2012, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Compounding pharmacy

Hi
I lost some prescriptions that are from a compounding pharmacist in Canada. France pharmacies don't do this type of thing. I have visited many but no luck. Am also going to be in Switzerland and Germany and Austria. Does anyone know if these countries perform this function in their pharmacies.
Thanks
Aug 31st, 2012, 01:41 PM

Many compounding pharmacies in Canada are attached to the pharmacy departments of hospitals...have you checked that out? Also, I would expect that you will need a prescription from a locally licensed MD
Aug 31st, 2012, 01:49 PM

Technically, each pharmacist in Germany needs to have this qualification. Nevertheless, you don't get any prescription drugs, compounded or other, without a prescription from a local doctor.
Aug 31st, 2012, 02:17 PM

I have same concern about a compounded Rx in France. It's probably a bit obscure for the MD's there, and illegal to mail.
Aug 31st, 2012, 06:26 PM

Even in Canada and the US very few pharmacies compound. It simply doesn;t make financial sense based on the way government and insurance pays for drugs. I know one in Manhattan - since they specialize in it - for pet meds (fisk or liver flavor) as well as drugs that don;t come in chikd doses, etc. But it's fairly rare and quite expensive.

I too would check out a major hospital - not the local ones but a tertiary care center - to find out. If that doesn;t work you might try the US embassy/consulate to see if they have the names of someone who can do it - or the local pharmacy association.
Sep 1st, 2012, 10:32 AM

Our local mom & pop corner pharmacy compounds low dose naltrexone for $1/ pill. The inexpensive generic med comes in 100 mg formulation and they make caps of 4 mg each. Not big deal at all for the pros, and it's something they were all taught in school.

I found these people on internet search "compounding" "pharmacy." A pharmacist I work with says some Walgreens will even do it.