Como or Maggiore

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2006, 08:21 AM
cwj
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Como or Maggiore

Hi,

I'm planning a trip by train in Switzerland for the fall. I would like to include a stop in the Italian lake country. The way possible itineraries look Lake Como may be difficult to include and Lake Maggiore would be easier. What are the pros and cons? Recommendations? Should I consider Lake Lugano instead?

Thanks for the help.

Warner
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 08:24 AM

Lake Maggiore is easier to reach and IMO a better lake - or slightly better for the average tourist. This is due to the Borromean Islands just off Stresa, a pleasant watering-hole resort opposite them on the mainland. Research the islands a bit as well as other nearby nice places on the lake.

Lake Como is nice too, don't get me wrong, but i don't think it's worth going out of your way to reach because no one can really say it's better than Maggiore IMO.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 08:54 AM

Well, Bob I'm not sure you can say Com is any worse, either.

CWJ: if you don't care one way or the other go to the one which is the easiest to reach, especially if you are only going to be there a short time.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 08:58 AM

Dukey- right - i've spent several days on both lakes and each has its own charms - personally i liked Maggiore a bit more but i couldn't say it was better than Como. Actually i found Lake Garda the most exciting to me of any of the three. But you're right you can't go wrong with either lake. And Como itself i find an enticing city.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 09:01 AM
cwj
Original Poster

How about Lake Lugano? Worth considering?
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 09:02 AM

Hi C,

We spent 2 nights on Isola dei Pescatori on Maggorie a few years ago and loved it. Beautiful views, the islands were interesting and gardens gorgeous. Highly recommend Hotel Verbano and Stresa was nice too. We visited in May and the weather was perfect!
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 09:03 AM

Yes, i've boated around that lake and it too would be in the same league as the others. It could be physically more gorgeous than Como or Maggiore as higher mountains slope up from its shores. A fine, fine lake.

A basic difference between Swiss and Italian lakes is that everything in Switzerland is about twice as expensive it seems to me as in Italy.
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 08:23 PM

I'm weighing in, but may be comparing apples to oranges...

I've been to some parts of Switz, but not on a lake... Lago di Como is amazing - and to my experience significantly less expensive than Switzerland. I've stayed in the Italian Lake towns of Garda and Bellagio.

Lake Maggiore is high on my list of things to do, and I see no reason for you not to include it. If you are a sports enthusiast and enjoy the history of Lugano - then include it. Otherwise, choose Maggiore, as it gets great reviews and is in your realm of curiousity.

Perhaps if you mentioned what you'd like to do while there we could help more (fine dining vs. great views vs. cute villages, etc...)
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 05:36 AM

I've been to Como, Menaggio, and Lugano.

Lugano is a nice, small city with lots of nice shops and restaurants. It is nice to walk around the lake, but I'd say that the lake is not the main focus.

Menaggio is all about the lake. The town is small and the lake is gorgeous.

Como is also a nice small city and I've spent the most time there and seen the entire lake--i've even swam in it. George Clooney lives there, fyi.
Drive all around the lake of Como and you'll be amazed. I'd say Como, then Menaggio, then Lugano. But they're all terrific.
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 05:46 AM

Lake Como was very crowded with tourists and tours when we were there a few years ago. Luckily, we decided to go to Lake Maggiore and stay in Stresa. Beautiful, calm and lots of great things to see on the islands in the lake. You could also take the ferry to Swtzerland at that time.