Which Lake is best?

Search

Which Lake is best?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2003, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Lake is best?

For our upcoming trip in May, we'll be spending the final 3 days of a 16 day vacation in the Lake area of Lombardy. We are looking for accomodations in the range of 150 - 200 Euro per night, and there seem to be a fair number of possibilities...on Garda, Como, Maggiore, and even Lugano.<BR>Any opinions on which lake areas provide the best combination of scenery, activities, side trips, etc? <BR>Thanks.<BR>
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 06:05 AM

We spent 3 days each, on Lake Como and Lake Maggiore last year. Both had enough sights, scenery, good restaurants and such to easily keep you occupied for 3 days. My personal preference was Como. It was more laid back, quieter, and I thought it was prettier. We stayed in Varenna which was very relaxing. In Maggiore, Stresa felt like more of a touristy place, a little more crowded, more car traffic. but you really can't go wrong either way.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 10:33 AM

I share China Cat's reactions completely. I like Como best. By staying in Menaggio, Bellagio or Varenna, you can go by ferry among all three and several other small towns on the lake.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 01:04 PM

I've been to Garda, Como and Maggiore and they are all beautiful. I think so far I like Maggiore best, but not in Stesa (although it's pretty and fun). Rather I liked the Swiss end of the lake.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 01:29 PM

And don't forget Orta and Iseo. These are the smallest of the northern Italian Lakes but both are very rewarding. I especially like Lake Orta and Orta San Julio. Do a search here on Orta and see the many recommendations. It's my second favorite lake--after Como.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 03:16 PM

We've been to Como, Garda and Maggiore. It's hard to choose because they're all special, but I'd highly recommend Bellagio and the Hotel Florence (lakeview rooms are beautiful and in your price range). I'd also recommend Stesa on Maggiore. There's 2 hotels I'd recommend: the Villa minta, which is a splurge (about E240) or the Hotel Du Parc (about $100+). The views of the Borommeo islands in Stresa are unforgettable and you can take a boat trip out to visit them.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 07:01 PM

All the lakes are beautiful, but in my opinion the most beautiful by far is Como -- particularly the incredibly beautiful spot called Bellagio!!
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 06:47 AM

I have enjoyed the Lakes of Italy on numerous trips and have stayed on all 5 of the major lakes at least twice each.<BR>I agree that Como is the most spectacular scenery, but I find Lago Orta to be the most serene. If you are driving--and returning to Malpensa for departure--I prefer staying at Orta and day tripping to Stresa and Maggiore. If you are training, then I suggest staying at Varenna on Como, but getting to the airport is more difficult. So, as in many cases, it really depends.
Old May 30th, 2003, 04:09 PM
cmt

anything to add?