Comments on Italy Itinerary??

Mar 29th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Comments on Italy Itinerary??

First, let me thank all of you that have provided comments/suggestions in response to my previous questions concerning our first trip to Italy in late June.

Our itinerary is tentatively set as follows: (1) arrive in Rome in the morning and drive to Positano, (2) stay three nights in Positano at Hotel Miramare, (3) travel to Capri and spend three nights at Hotel Brunella, and (4) fly from Naples to Venice for our final three nights at Westin Europa and Regina.

My questions are as follows: Can anyone recommend some sites in/near Rome to take in while driving to Positano? Is there another recommendation versus our visiting the Amalfi Coast and Capri (I thought since they are in close proximity it would not be too cumbersome, but may be too similar? Any other suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance for your help.
Mar 29th, 2004, 01:02 PM

Hi bruces!
We are also planning a trip to Rome and the Amalfi coast (in September), so have been looking at some of the same places.

Are you flying in from the US? Because if you are, people had recommended to me that we not drive all the way to Positano/ the Amalfi coast the first day, since you'll be tired and it's a tough drive.

If you're coming from the UK or somewhere nearby, then that's another story.

Mar 29th, 2004, 01:04 PM

The Rome to Positano stretch is a long way (2+ hours by train/car). What exactly do you want to see? If going the seaside route, you could stop at Sperlonga and see some not-so-tourist-frequented ruins of the imperors and their baths, as well as a wonderful little historical museum adjacent to the beach. Traveling further south closer to Naples, you could stop in Caserta to see the magnificent Palazzo Reale (royal palace). It is larger than Versailles with opulent rooms to tour within the palace, as well as the famous gardens located behind it -- all for only 6 euros total. Likewise, you might consider stopping in Capua Vetere to see the amphitheater where the famous gladiator, Spartacus fought in, both the town and amphitheater are very interesting. Both of the latter spots mentioned are in close proximity to Naples (NE and inland of the city), so you would not be going too far out of your way.

You are correct about Amalfi coast and Capri being in close proximity, it makes the most sense to catch a ferry from one of the coastal towns out to Capri. While the sceneries of the two locales may be similar, there is something truly magical about Capri so it is definitely worth a visit. Three days on the island seems a bit long, but if you are going for some R&R, then you won't mind the quietness of the island after all the day-trippers leave. Definitely take a boat into the Blue Grotto! Also, if you want to see more of the island by water, you can take a boat (for ~ 11 euros) all around Capri so you can see the other sites as well. Buon viaggio!
Mar 29th, 2004, 06:10 PM
ira

Hi bruces,

Is there any reason why you want a car?

There is very good rail transportation between Rome and Naples, and not bad from Naples to Positano.

At most, you could hire a driver from Naples to Positano for about 90E.
Mar 29th, 2004, 06:16 PM

I can only assume you plan on staying in Rome on your 2nd trip. This city is absolutely incredible and magical and definitly not to be missed. Enjoy your travel.
Mar 30th, 2004, 12:50 AM

I see from your previous postings that (1) you have decided to rule out Rome, and (2) you want a relaxing trip. Based on this, you probably are right to spend most of your time on the Amalfi coast. However, I would delete one night and add it to Venice; this way, you won't feel rushed in Venice as there is a lot to see and do and June will be crowded which will slow you down a bit. In addition, if this June is like the last two Junes here in Europe, it will be very hot as well, which will further slow you down.

I think 3 nights Positano and 2 nights Capri would be good, with 4 nights in Venice. Capri is different from Positano, and more so at night after all the day trippers have left (to go back to their hotels in Positano. . . !). If your main aim is relaxation, stay somewhere outside of Capri town and concentrate on walking in the hill areas and sitting by the pool or beach, a half day or full day boat trip around the island and along the coast would be fun as well. (For great walking guide to Capri and the Amalfi coast, get a copy of the walking guide to Capri & the Amalfi coast published by Sunflower books. I first read about it on this site, and thought it was very useful. Their website is http://www.sunflowerbooks.co.uk/walking_titles.htm. They rate hikes by difficulty and time it takes to complete all or each section, and give good directions on how to reach each walk. They publish many other walking guides to various places in Europe.)

Don't forget about a half day at Pompeii, and/or Paestum or Herculaneum'.

I see from your other posts that you are considering adding Como rather than going to Capri. I would leave northern Italy for another trip, as even with flying from Naples to Milan, you are looking at about a 4-5 hour day of travel door to door; too much in my opinion, and you would not see anything of Milan which is worth two days in itself. I would do northern Italy at another time, maybe in combination with a trip to Switzerland. Just my opinion.

You also might consider doing Venice first, as you will have the most energy then, and saving the relaxing beach part on the Amalfi coast to the end of your trip.

Finally, as you have never been to Italy, I have to second the suggestion above that you consider Rome. A good trip would be 3-4 nights Rome, 3-4 nights Venice and 3-4 nights Positano (or stay on Capri, but moving for 1 or 2 nights is probably not worth it). You could do an open jaw ticket into Rome and out of Naples. You can fly to Venice from Rome and Naples in about an hour non-stop. Take a look at alitalia.com and http://buy.volareweb.com
Mar 30th, 2004, 01:28 AM

Also, I would not bother with renting a car to get to Positano. You don't need a car once there, and they are actually a liability, IMO, as parking is hard to find and expensive and your hotel may not provide it or may charge up to US$30 a day for parking. Use the ferries and buses to get around, plus the occasion taxi. This will save you hassle of finding the rental agency at the airport, figuring out how to get out of the airport, driving on Italian highways and roads, paying US$4.50 a gallon for gas, not to mention the pain of driving along the twisting, crowded coastal roads in Amalfi, esp. the first time when you will be jetlagged from the overnight flight from the US. Hire a car and driver to meet you at the airport and drive you to your hotel in Positano. You will get much more out of the trip this way, and it would be cheaper than renting a car which you won't use much afterwards.

You might even look into the possibility of going by air from Rome to Naples on the morning you arrive into Rome from the US. This might not add much to the overall air ticket cost (or look at Volare for cheap flights), and might be the fastest way, esp if you can check your luggage all the way through to Naples.

If you end up doing Venice first and flying into Naples, then you definitely don't need a car. Just have a driver meet you at Naples and take you to Positano.
Mar 30th, 2004, 02:16 AM

I would broadly second cicerone's proposition.
Equal time in 3 destinations: Rome, Positano or Capri, and Venice. Positano and Capri are too close two justify 3 days each. You can have a day trip from the one to the other without difficulty. This doesn't mean they look alike.
And this schedule evidently goes with an open jaw ticket; arrival in Rome, departure in Venice.
Mar 30th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

These are all great recommendations. Thanks for your comments.