Comedy Theatre London

May 10th, 2003, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Comedy Theatre London

We wanted to go see Sexual Perversity at the London Comedy Theatre. I've found some third row seats, but would rather sit back further if we have to crane our necks. How is the seating there?
Thanks!
May 10th, 2003, 10:36 AM

The third row is terrific in this (and in most) London Theatres. In the stalls I usually look for seats in the 3rd through 7th or 8th rows - If I can't get those I then look for the front row or two in the Dress Circle.

(Even the first row is OK in some London venues - especially if there is an orchestra pit.)
May 11th, 2003, 04:23 PM

You should be OK. Here's part of what www.theatremonkey.com says about the stalls seats at the Comedy:

"The rake of the stalls is adequate. Row A is considered restricted view, as those at the front "look up" to the stage and suffer neck ache in the process.

"Almost all of rows C to M offer acceptable value for money. Only the first and last four seats in rows C to H should be avoided. These are outside the proscenium arch, with a poor view of the outermost edges of the stage. Unacceptable at the price. Sadly, they are too close to the stage for distance to improve the viewing angle. Row C seats 1 and 21 and row K seats 1 and 20 should be avoided for having restricted legroom."
May 12th, 2003, 02:30 AM

I saw the play this past weekend and was in Row D. I am 6'3" but was accompanied by a friend who is rather short; neither one of us had problems seeing the stage or the actors. I do not think being in Row C would make much of a difference.
May 13th, 2003, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Hey JJA34,
How did you like the play? We're big fans of three of the four main people. I hadn't read any reviews about it before buying the tickets so I'm hoping it's not a stinker of a play.
Thanks!
May 14th, 2003, 01:13 AM

The play was funny and a good way to spend 90 minutes. It is in one act and there is no intermission.

The play is basically a series of short scenes/vignettes between four different characters. There isn't really a plot, although the scenes do follow a cohesive story line. I would say that each scene is more of a "snapshot" of various aspects of the male/female relationship.

To be honest, it was not what I expected at all from David Mamet. That is not to say that the play is bad. Sexual Perversity in Chicago is just different from his other work that I have seen. My friend and I really enjoyed it and the play was very funny. It was just very different from what I expected and it took me about 30 minutes to get over my expectations of what a David Mamet play should be like. Once I got over my expectations, I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the performance.

All of the actors were pretty good - we were pleasantly surprised by the "no name" actress (who looks very familiar but has a short resume) and Hank Azaria was great.
May 17th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks JJA34!
I'm really getting psych about London we leave on June 7th and see the play the 13th.
Do you have any other play suggestions while we're there? You can email me if you'd rather at [email protected]

Thanks!
May 18th, 2003, 05:57 AM

This sounds like fun. We have a 15 year old son - is it appropriate for him?
May 18th, 2003, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

theatremonkey.com says that it has strong adult language. I'll be able to tell you more once we've seen it.
May 18th, 2003, 12:39 PM

Hi, I will be in London in June, and I'm looking for a good website to buy theater tickets? Where did you get yours?? Thank you very much!
May 19th, 2003, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Eskimogirl,
I got ours at ticketmaster.co.uk but they only have certain shows on there. There are a lot of other sites but I don't know about them. When in June will you be there? We'll be there 7th-13th and we're staying at the Royal Horseguards.