Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please Help: Royal Haymarket Theatre Seats (London)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 05:48 AM
Eli
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am in the process of booking a play. Available seats are either on Orchestra Stalls or Royal Circle. My problem is understanding what "Royal Circle" actually means. The Stalls I understand; those are the rows just facing the stage. Would someone care to explain ? in a detailed and graphical manner ? to someone for whom English is a foreign language, where exactly Royal Circle seats are located relative to the stage? Which seats would be superior? They both cost the same?
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 06:08 AM

Found this information regarding the seating - hope this will help.

The traditional convention for naming the floors in a London Theatre are as follows:

The main floor seats are called the Orchestra Stalls

In London this is abbreviated to "Stalls" where in the USA they are called the "Orchestra". Front Stalls are normally the most expensive seats and offer some of the best views, being the closest to the stage. While your choice of seat is a matter of personal preference, many theatregoers claim that particularly for dramas and intimately staged shows, the Stalls are the best seats because you are so close to the 'action' that you can become completely immersed in the show.

The first balcony is traditionally called the Dress Circle

Most London theatres refer to the first balcony as the Dress Circle, however the actual name for this floor can vary in some theatres. If you have been told that your seats are in the Dress Circle, they are on the first balcony, whether or not that particular venue calls its first balcony a "terrace" a "royal circle" a "grand circle" or any other name. Seats at the front of the Dress Circle are, along with front Stalls, also normally the most expensive seats in the theatre offering a view that is more 'wide-angled' than the Stalls, and some people claim especially for musicals or productions with large sets that the Dress Circle is the ideal place to sit.

The second balcony is known as the Upper Circle

Some venues may call this floor the "royal circle", "grand circle" or any other name. If you have been told that your seats are in the upper circle, they are on the second balcony whatever that floor happens to be named in the venue. In many London theatres, this is the top floor, and seats are normally cheaper on this floor than on either the Dress Circle or Stalls.

The third balcony is known simply as the Balcony, or the Gallery

If you have been told that your seats are in the Balcony, they will be on the top floor of the theatre.

Royal Circle or Grand Circle. In some theatres these terms are used for the first balcony, in others they are the second balcony. Check when purchasing your tickets. If they are listed as "top price" or "best" seats, then they are the second balcony.

Private Boxes Many theatres have private boxes at the side of the stage and/or at the back of one or more floors. The view from these boxes can range from excellent in a few cases to quite bad in others. Historically, many of these boxes were designed for the occupants to be seen by the rest of the audience rather than for them to be able to see the stage clearly, and some offer a very slanted view of the stage. It is now quite common for lighting designers to use these boxes for their equipment rather than for them to be sold to the public. You may wish to check before purchasing seats in a private box whether they have a clear view of the whole production.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 06:08 AM
ron

Have you seen the theatre floor plan at http://www.albemarle-london.com ? The Royal Circle is the first balcony, the second balcony is the upper circle, the third is the gallery. As a buyer of cheap seats, I have only been in the gallery in this theatre.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 09:55 AM

For tips on specific seats to buy or avoid at the Haymarket, check out www.theatremonkey.com. When you know the name of the theatre you're interested in (as you do in this case), you can click on "By Venue Name." That brings up a list of all the major theatres in London. Click on the name of the theatre you want, and that will take you to a page that (a) describes the show that's currently playing at that theatre, (b) provides specific details about which seats are good, and which are bad, at that theatre, and (c) gives detailed directions on how to get to the theatre from the nearest underground station.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 10:23 AM

I learned about Theater Monkey after I had bought tickets for the Haymarket. Theater Monkey though my first row tickets in the highest balcony (severe nose bleed section) was worse than the other rows in that section. I think there reason was beacause of the safety bar might block your view. I had no problem with my bird's eye view of the stage, just the lack of lung power to get up to the stairs. I liked the additional leg room and not having to bother the other people in the row when I moved around at intermission.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 10:24 AM

Yikes, pardon the errors. I don't know how to preview effectively.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 10:38 AM

I just saw Brand at the Theatre Royal Haymarket. in June (3 times). I thought you might like to see an actual seating chart. If you go to Playbill online (or even ticketmatser online) and look under the 'related information' links at the right under 'seating charts'- it will actually lay out front to back where the seats are and what the sections are called. In the stalls my seats were always #6 or 7 and that's center.
http://www.playbill.com/events/event_detail/1766.html