Cologne/Dusseldorf

Old Nov 14th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cologne/Dusseldorf

Okay, I've booked a ticket to join my husband in Germany for next weekend. I arrive in Dusseldorf on Saturday morning, and leave Tuesday morning. We will most likely stay in Cologne Saturday and Sunday nights, then in Dusseldorf on Monday night (he has a meeting there Tuesday). I think we'll use Marriott points to stay in Cologne, and he has a place booked in Dusseldorf already.

Any restaurant recommendations in either city?

Do we need to buy train tickets in advance? It looks to be a short trip between the two cities.

I am planning to see the Cathedral and go to at least one museum in Cologne. The weather will be cold and rainy I think. I think there are Roman sewers to explore as well. Any other recommendations? Just browse the art galleries, maybe?

We will probably take the train to try to get to a castle too - Marksburg was recommended before. How long would that train ride be? Is there a station close by?

Thanks for any ideas! I always appreciate the feedback on Fodors
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 09:06 AM

No need to book the train in advance.
In Köln consider the chocolate museum!
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 09:27 AM

No no need to buy any of these train tickets in advance and there are literally zillions of trains between Dusseldorf and Cologne

and from Cologne to Koblenz where i believe you would change to a regional train to Marksburg just south of Koblenz.

K-D boats also run a winter schedule and you could go to Marksburg by boat - www.k-d.com for schedules and info on K-D boats down the famous Rhine Gorge (Lorelei) near where Marksburg Castle, said to be the only castle along the Rhine or Mosel here not destroyed during war, many by a marauding Napoleon.

www.bahn.de for all train schedules in Germany

Investigate the bargain Lander ticket for travel in and around Cologne and Du'dorf.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 01:09 PM

I recommend staying in Düsseldorf for all nights. You can take an IC or ICE train between the cities. It takes only 23 minutes. In Köln the Dom is right outside the door of the train station. It is worth an hour visit. I can't remember what else I did there.

The Altstadt of Düsseldorf is my favorite in Germany. Try the Dr. Jazz for beer and jazz. I eat cheap but well. My last meal in Düsseldorf was at a Balkan place in the Altstadt. Saturday night in the Altstadt is pretty wild. There is a traditional beer place on a corner toward the Rhein River. I think it might be on Flingerstrasse. Scores of other places for beverages also.

Saturday afternoon in Düsseldorf would be a good day to shop on Königsallee, one of the top streets in Germany. On Sunday afternoon the tradition is to walk the Königsallee to see and be seen. Dress to impress.

Have fun.

Old Nov 14th, 2008, 01:44 PM

Some things worth seeing in Köln (in no particular order):
- Roman-Germanic Museum - I'm not a big ancient history fan, and I really enjoyed this museum; fabulous mosaics
- The chocolate museum - see how its made, learn about its history
- The city museum - small, but has some very interesting displays and covers everything from medieval times to WWII to the present
- EL-DL Haus - former Gestapo offices/prison
- House of 4711/Eau de Cologne - drink from the fountain, listen to the glockenspiel

I don't have any restaurant recommendations, but try "Rievkoche" a type of potato pancake and if you're a beer drinker, you must try a kölsch in one of the many taverns in the altstadt.

Have fun!
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 02:33 AM

sealstep, check to see if any Christmas markets are open. It might be too early though...

Not to completely hijack the thread, but could any of you recommend in Cologne/Dusseldorf area:
- a nice wintery place to stay? I'm imagining a cozy cabin with a fireplace, rather than a big hotel.
- outdoor hot pools? I'm not sure if they do this sort of thing in Germany.
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 03:12 AM

Attractions in Köln:

- the cathedral (Dom) with the shrine of the tree Magi; do not miss the treasury

- the romanesque churches; see at least Groß St. Martin (the high tower next to the Dom)

- the Roman-Germanic Museum next to the Dom - it is outstanding with a large tomb, two of the finest mosaics ever found from the Roman world and the very best glassware everywhere

-the Praetorium and Roman sewer in the cellar of the City Hall (the sewer is walkable)

-the Jewish bath in front of the City Hall

- the Wallraff-Richartz Museum if you are interested in medieval art

- the Museum Ludwig for modern art - with world-class masterpieces

- the chocolate museum on the Rhein

I do not know the restaurant scene too well, but for rustic, traditional, inexpensive cuisine the breweries are recommendable: Früh, Sion, Päffgen, Peters (there are some more).

The Marksburg is in Braubach, just south of Koblenz. The train takes 1:15, with a change in Koblenz.

In Düsseldorf, just walk through the Altstadt. You find zillions of restaurants, according to every taste. Go and see. An institution is the Uerige - however not for food but for beer. Go inside and see the microbrewery and the several beer halls inside.

Orangetravel:

This sounds very American. You will hardly find cabins with fireplace in Europe and certainly not in big cities.

For a more romantic stay you should choose a hotel in the countryside. The most recommendable reservation chain is this one:

www.romantikhotels.de

Yes, there are hotels with outdoor spa (usually more in the 4/5-star region).
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 04:59 AM

I don't think it's the best restaurant in Cologne, however, our friends from Bonn took us there for mid-afternoon coffee and pastry and the place is LOVELY!

The Cafe Reichard which is near the Dom Cathedral.

They also serve food as well...enjoy!
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 07:06 AM

Best food I've had in Germany: www.gilden-brauhaus.de (try the Sauerbraten Good Kölsch, but I like Gaffel better. The adjacent Best Western Park Consul ain't too shabby. It's about halfway between Düsseldorf and Köln, from the K-Mülheim station.

Worth a ride to Bonn: www.boennsch.de

Anthropology: www.neanderthal.de 10 minutes east of Düsseldorf

Engineering interest: schwebebahn.com 10 minutes east of Neanderthal

Unique way to cross the Rhine: www.koelner-seilbahn.de/english

Some views from the Dragon's Rock in Königswinter (across from Bonn):
tinyurl.com/66o2y4
tinyurl.com/5kk2p3

You can travel all over the region with a DB Nordrhein-Westfalen Land-Ticket, which is also valid for public transit in all the cities and towns.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 09:39 PM

traveler1959 - thanks for the tip, yes you are right it was a very American idea! =) Will check out the site you listed as we're not wedded to the idea of staying in the city and looking for more of a retreat.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 11:09 PM

> looking for more of a retreat.

I´m not so sure that the Cologne-Düsseldorf area is the best idea for a quiet retreat. Both cities are a part of the biggest conurbation in Germany. It´s a bit like looking for a retreat in New York City...
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 05:56 AM

A nice retreat in a wooded area is the Sofitel Dorint in Venusberg, about 10 bus minutes from the Bonn Hauptbahnhof. The winter rates were exceptional - 100€ for a 4/5-star accommodation.

Bonn makes a good base for going up or down the Rhein - with a Köln or Bonn WelcomeCard, you can range over a wide area for pennies per trip.

http://www.dorint.com/en/hotel-bonn (Incidentally, the map on that site is wrong. The hotel is actually at 50.708118,7.100129)
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 03:50 AM

sealstep

The Christmas Markets open in Dusseldorf on November 20th, and Cologne on November 24th. You may want to spend time browsing there on Saturday or Monday. Sunday is a religous holiday and all markets/shops will be closed.

I think you may be stretching yourself too thin to try and take a train to Marksburg castle when there is so much to do between the two cities you have chosen.

Enjoy your trip-we are heading there tomorrow.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 04:20 PM

Hello seal:

Here is my post on Koln restaurants during a recent trip:

KOLN

(1) em Krütsche
Am Frankenturm
on the Rhein

Really nice atmosphere and staff; try the wiener schnitzel

(2) Restaurant Steinmetz
Gottesweg
12 minute cab ride from centre

We were greeted by Mrs. Pradel, wife of the owner, Martin, with whom I had communicated by fax before leaving the U.S.

We were delighted to participate in the 4-5 course "surprise" menu with accompanying wines. Outstanding.

(3) Holtmanns
Am Bollwerk on the Rhein

We had lunch outside in a nicely landscaped patio that shielded the foot traffic without impairing a view of the river. I enjoyed the lobster ragout with noodles and a nice Riesling by August Kessler

Steinmetz is really worth the extra time to get there from centre. Have fun. Gradyghost

Old Nov 6th, 2009, 03:55 PM

bookmarking