Automatic Car rental's in Barcelona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looked at Sixt for car rental and it seems car rentals are competitive for stick shift cars. Does anyone know of good deals on automatic car rental for 4 adults?
Old Nov 5th, 2009, 06:39 PM

It always costs a lot more to rent an automatic. Also, I see you're planning to drop the car in France - you'll likely incur a hefty fee for dropping it in another country.
Old Nov 5th, 2009, 07:00 PM

The only advice I have is to learn to drive a manual transmission.
Old Nov 5th, 2009, 11:26 PM

Europe is 95% manual transmission, so getting a mid range car with an automatic one will be expensive and not very easy. I´d follow Robert´s advice.
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Well fortunately my husband knows how to drive a stick shift car but not my son's. But I think boy's are intuitive driver's maybe they'll pick it up during the trip!!
More and more we are leaning to dropping the idea of driving to France and just taking a train. Does one pay high fee for dropping car off in different town but same country?
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 05:53 AM

We've rented in Germany, Italy, France, and Spain and never had to pay an extra fee to drop off a car at a different city within the same country.

We usually use autoeurope.com

Right now we have reserved a 7-day April rental of a compact car in Spain with AT for 215 euros.
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 09:29 AM

I would strongly advise your sone not to learn to drive a stick and learn how to drive in spain at teh same time. There is too much stress.
When you get your IDP does it not say you are restricted to autos only? If so then the hire company may not allow you to drive a shift.
http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpfaqc....fined&secure=N
http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpc.html
Usually there is no drop off fee within the same country. However you MAY find that some locations have a small charge ie like airport locations
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 09:56 AM

I have found Spain to be the least expensive for renting an automatic and have had good luck with National's rates ($100/week more for automatic on a rental last May), though can't your husband just do all the driving?
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 10:04 AM

Please note that the IDP (International Driving Permit) makes absolutely no mention of anything having to do with the type of car you drive (automatic or manual), only that you are licensed to drive a car, motorcycle or truck.

The IDP is an old concept and should be dropped since it is seldom enforced in Spain and most other EU countries, except maybe Italy. The strange thing is that it is only good for one year while most drivers licenses are good for five years.

The following is from AAA:
The International Driving Permit (IDP) provides important information regarding your driver's license in eleven different languages, including English. When carried in conjunction with a regular drivers license, the IDP can help break down language barriers when traveling in non-English speaking countries. In addition, the IDP provides an additional source of identification; as an official document, the IDP is recognized in more than 150 countries today, by virtue of a treaty signed in 1949 by the U.S. and other foreign countries.
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 02:50 PM

But Robert until it is dropped you have to have one. There once was a time that when an European travelled to other countries we also had to have one. Now the EU have got their act together, on at least one thing, to suit the needs of a normal citizen.
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 03:57 PM

I have never once been asked to show the IDP. I was asked if I had one once, but they didn't want to see it. The one I have is now 4 years old and well worn. If stopped by the police, knowing the language is all you need. If you don't know the language, then the IDP may be of some help.