Search

Colliano

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 06:33 PM
Diane

Colliano

Has anyone been to this small town northeast of Naples? <BR>Trying to decide if it is worth a side trip to visit my grandparents hometown. I had heard that it was devastated by the earthquake and is basically a rebuilt modern town.<BR>Any help would be appreciated

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 11:24 PM
Silvio

Diane, <BR>Colliano, where I was born, is south of Naples, more or less 140km.<BR>Yes, I suggest to visit it; rebuilt but very pretty.<BR>Come on October, if you can, and you'll find truffle, our black truffle: to taste it, don't miss it.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 08:12 AM
Terra

I have spent quite a lot of time down in that part of Italy. I know Valva and Contursi Terme a bit better than Colliano-- the region is really interesting. Valva has an old villa with lovely gardens: the Villa D'Ayala, where sometimes they hold summertime outdoor concerts and plays. <BR><BR>Colliano is larger and has a lovely central square. Contursi is the largest of this particular area, and famous for it's healing waters.<BR><BR>If you want a good view into the culture of this area, I highly recommend reading the book "Christ Stopped at Eboli" by Carlo Levi. <BR><BR>The area was totally destroyed in the 1980 earthquake and was still being rebuilt when I lived there around 1990. Although certainly rennovated, this area still has a very "old world" type of feeling. <BR><BR>Please feel free to email for more details! <BR>Terra

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 10:44 AM
Diane

Silvio,<BR>Thank you for the information. I am very excited that our trip is in October since I love truffles!<BR>Any other information would be appreciated.<BR>Can you tell me how far Colliano is from Positano? We will be from Positano to Colliano and then on to San Lupo (my mother's parent's hometown) in the same day. We want to have lunch in Colliano to sample the truffle sauces. Does this seem doable?<BR>Thanks again <BR>

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Silvio

Diane,<BR>you're very lucky, really.<BR>Colliano is more or less two hours from Positano, driving.<BR>After your lunch in Colliano you would go to San Lupo. Well! San Lupo is far from Colliano: more or less other two hours driving.<BR>So you could reach San Lupo in evening and to stay there to sleep. There is a very nice farm, named "L'Uliveto". It is close to the best oilmaker of Campania, one of the best of Italy: Olivicola San Lupo. Don't miss this olive oil. My suggestion is to buy it: delicious, best of breed, and cheap indeed. Imagine to use this olive oil to cook truffles from Colliano !<BR>Then, the following day you can come back to Positano driving for almost two hours.<BR>My suggestion is to avoid to do in only one day: Positano -Colliano - San Lupo - Positano, believe me !<BR>Ciao.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 01:14 PM
a

ttt

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 03:11 PM
Diane

Silvio,<BR>We are planning on staying in San Lupo for 2 days to make sure that we have enough time to buy all of the olive oil that we can. <BR>I am going to call L'Uliveto tomorrow to make reservations. I do not speak Italian and they do not have a web-site so I am hoping that we can get through it successfully.<BR>Thank you again. It sounds like we should leave Positano in the morning and have lunch in Colliano and then drive to L'Uliveto for our 2 nights.<BR>Any suggestions on things to do near San Lupo?<BR>Diane<BR>