clothing to pack

Search

clothing to pack

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clothing to pack

We are visiting Scotland, Wales and London in August. What kind of clothing / footwear do you suggest I pack for myself and daughters. I want to pack lightly as I can do laundry while we are traveling.
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 10:54 AM

Any time in the UK, the best advice is good walking shoes, layers and a rain jacket. August should be warm in London, but depending on where you're going in Scotland, it's quite possible you might get chilly. (I'm not sure about Wales.) According to wunderground.com (a very useful site, by the way), average high in Edinburgh in August is only around 65F. It'll be cooler somewhere like Skye.

(Side note: If indeed you're going to Edinburgh, have you already made hotel reservations? August in Edinburgh is festival season and it will be very crowded.)

Jeans take longer to dry and UK dryers aren't as powerful as those in the US, if you're in an apartment (and if you have a dryer at all). Hiking pants or other lightweight pants might be better, plus they take up less room.

For footwear - for me it is absolutely worth paying more to get comfortable, supportive shoes. (And by "supportive" I do not mean shoes that look like I'm an unstylish 85.) I've taken Keens, Clarks, and Chacos on previous trips and had good luck with those, and they all come in different styles. There are lots of threads here about shoes if you do a search - it really comes down to your feet. I would *not* plan on taking only sandals.
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 11:02 AM

You will need 2 pair of comfy, well-broken in walking shoes - preferably waterproof. Also a sturdy folding umbrella and a waterproof lightweight (windbreaker type) jacket. For Scotland you may well need a sweater.

(We were there in late July one year and it was in the high 40's, puring rain and windy. In London 4 days earlier it had been sunny and in the upper 80s).

A variety of things for layering is essential since you are likely to have a broad range of weather (not 100 and not snow - pretty much anything else is possible).
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you - this is what I was thinking. My girls wear crocks. Do you suggest no crocks and take running shoes instead? As for Edinburgh - we are staying with friends outside of the city.
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 11:38 AM

If the girls care about fitting in with UK styles, you won't see Crocs over there. That said, if they can walk in them *all day long* and feel great the next day, wear 'em. No one else will care. But do take at least one pair of closed-toed, no-holes shoes. You will need those for days it's chilly or rainy, which may be no days or may be all of them.

The main thing to keep in mind is that you will be walking a LOT - more than you probably ever would at home. If your feet hurt, you'll be miserable. So take some good shoes that are broken in.
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 12:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
As jent says - no one else will care what they have on their feet (or on other parts of their bodies for that matter )

The main thing is, do they now walk long distances every day -- in crocs or not? They will likely be on their feet much more than they are used to. On all sorts of surfaces.

I personally wouldn't take Crocs - but if they can manage in them and they give enough support - sure. For me, they don't offer enough arch support.
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your comments. I will share this info with my girls.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 02:28 PM

You will see crocs here, but mostly on children rather than aqdults. Having said that, my 80-odd year old parents both were lurid coloured versions in summer.

Just wear whatever you are comfortable in. Summer should be nice weather, still may rain though, so a light coat/umbrella needed. T shirts, jeans, cropped trousers, skirts - what do you normally wear?
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 02:32 PM

Off topic: What is it about crocs that make people think neon green shoes are a great idea?

On topic:Is there a study fold up travel umbrella?