clothing prices?

Apr 4th, 2000, 12:45 PM
Penny

clothing prices?

Although shopping won't be at the top of my list of things to fit in on my upcoming trip, I would be interested in knowing the relative price of clothing. My daughter has several big events coming up--a confirmation, a middle school graduation--and it might be a nice treat to buy her a special outfit in London. My husband thinks a dress could easily be $200. Any ideas/advice?

Thanks so much!

Apr 4th, 2000, 12:56 PM
Sheila

Yes; and in our equivalent of Wal-mart, it could be $15.

Many years ago, I was advised to buy cotton in the US because it's cheap; and wool and tweed here for the same reason. I think it's good advice.

Apr 4th, 2000, 01:17 PM
Kathy

I just came back from London this weekend and did a "little" shopping while I was there.

Clothing prices seem to be more expensive in England than they do in the States. For example, I was looking for children's clothing and saw some children's outfits which were selling for around 35 pounds (1 BPS = US$1.60). However, keep in mind that the prices include the Value Added Tax (VAT). Thus, if you spend more than 50 pounds (usually) at any one store, you can get a VAT refund when you leave Europe.

Apr 4th, 2000, 02:27 PM
elvira

This is a great question, and I'd love feedback from Sheila, Joelle, and other Europeans about this.

Prices are all relative (and none of mine have any money) so can we do some comparison shopping?

For a simple, straight black wool skirt, I can pay all sorts of prices. Walmart/Kmart - $15
Sears/JCPenney - $35
Macy's/Burdine's (career dept) - $50
Macy's/Burdine's (designer dept) - $150
Armani boutique - my firstborn

$15 buys me a full meal (tax, tip, tea, entree) at a Mexican restaurant; $35 is a little over one day's rent on my apartment; $50 is a ticket to Lord of the Dance (middle priced seats) at the local theater venue; $150 is 10 bottles of decent California wine.

And, yes, I have found clothing prices in London and Paris to be expensive (compared to here), but I can't seem to find the "career department" or Sears prices in those cities - I can find cheap (like Tati in Paris) comparable to KMart, but so's the quality.

Apr 5th, 2000, 05:20 AM
merriem

One "chain" of clothing stores that is great is called "Mango". They originated in Spain, but have shops in most all cities. I always pick something up for my 25 year old, as she loves those cute clothes, and the prices are not bad. They even have a website.

Apr 5th, 2000, 05:45 AM
COVA

Here you can find the web page for Mango
http://www.mango.es/s/index.htm

Another good one (also spanish), and with clothes ranging from babies to young adults (both men and women) is Zara. They have a great shop in Regent Street. Just opposite you can find Adolfo Dominguez (sorry, all of them are spanish). Great materials, good fitting, although I am thinking more you than your daughter...

Apr 5th, 2000, 12:42 PM
michele

Another vote for Mango ( I am wearing an outfit I bought on sale in their Seville store ). Pencil straight linen skirt with short sleeved matching tee ( cotton /spandex)both in lavender. Total: about $45 US. Very hip merchandise, good quality and very reasonable prices;especially the sale.

Apr 6th, 2000, 12:26 AM
Nigel Doran

Try Marks and Spencer, which do good value clothes, and also Next, and Zara and Mango as suggested. Sales seem to be non-stop these days, so shop around, and realise that shops in Covent Garden etc. will necessarily be more expensive because of its location.

Apr 7th, 2000, 07:35 AM
Sheila

Elvira

I have been trying to get time to think about this all week. I'm a very bad witness because I work so hard I do an awful lot of my shopping by mail. But here goes....

There are a few places which are serious discount stores where clothes are very cheap. In Scotland (I think it's not a UK company) we have achain called "What everyone wants" which is "Stack 'em High and Sell 'em cheap stuff. Stores like Asda and tesco do a limited range of bearable quality mass produced clothes. Next step up is the stables- like Marks & Spencer and British Home Stores and Debenhams and Lewis's- the places you always go for underwear and tee-shirts and plain skirts and tops and things.

They have a slightly High Street equivalent- Richards, Dorothy Perkins, Etam, Next.

Then there are the classy, for work places- like Country Casuals, Jaegar, Austin Reed.

Then there are the places I can't fford and won't bore you with.

In the end you gets what you pays for.

S

Apr 7th, 2000, 09:26 AM
elvira

Thanks, Sheila, and to everyone for the info.

I forgot about Marks & Spencer; it does have pretty good stuff for what I consider reasonable prices. I'll check out the Mango stores in Paris (I went to their website and found the addresses despite the fact my Spanish is virtually non-existent) and look for the other names mentioned.

I remember from about 10 years ago going to Kew Gardens for an outdoor 'market' and finding nice outfits for about $40; does anyone know if that market was a fluke or if it still exists?

Most of all, thanks for asking the question, Penny.

Apr 7th, 2000, 09:27 AM
Jane

Good place in central London to buy a 'special' outfit would be Dickens and Jones next to Liberty on Regent street [2 mins from Oxford circus]It is the upmarket store of a UK wide chain so has both their normal stock and designer floors etc so can wander in the expsnive bits without feeling outfaced by it all !