Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

3 days in Berlin.. What to do, eat, see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2000, 08:34 PM
Paco Mier

I will be visiting Berlin at mid April, my first trip there. I am only planning to stay there for 3 nights.. should that be enough? <BR>Any suggestion for accomodation, single room not too expensive? Is Berlin a safe city to wander around alone? What are the "musts" of the city, heard there are many museums, which ones do you think should be the more interesting? Any good art museum in town? <BR>Good places for eating, having a beer and watching people? Any Berlin specialities I should know? Off the beaten pack places? Good shopping? <BR>Thanks Paco <BR>

Old Mar 31st, 2000, 02:51 AM
pat

I think 3 nights should be enough to explore this great city, and it is a very safe and friendly city. I went there alone for a week, and love it. Good public transport as well. <BR>For me the musts include Brandenburg Tor and Reistag (in the same area), from Brandenburg gate you can walk through a huge Tiergarten to Siegelseule (Victory monument), The Memorial church is there in city centre, Checkpoint Charie is also a must. But i missed the Jewish meseum/monument, cannot help with it. <BR> <BR>What's about walking along the border of the west/east berlin for the off beaten track? At the terminal of U-bahn 1 the remnant of the wall is there, you have to check i don't have the map of U-bahn by now. <BR>I got my accom. from the internet, so why don't you try searching some? <BR>Enjoy your trip!

Old Mar 31st, 2000, 03:41 AM
Al

The Pergamon Museum in what was once East Berlin is extremely interesting for its ancient Greek and Mesopotamian pieces, including an entire altar from the big Hellenic temple at Pergamon in what is now Turkey. We understand that the art collection at Dahlem is very fine. You would enjoy a day trip to the suburb of Potsdam, see Frederick the Great's Sans Souci Palace and its magnificent grounds. Also see the place where the 1945 Potsdam Conference was held.

Old Mar 31st, 2000, 07:41 PM
Linda

Berlin is an incredible city!! Checkpoint Charlie was one of my favorite museums. Brandenburg Gate, Reichstag, InfoBox (near remaining wall), Templehof Airfield, Kurfurstendam Strasse, Unter der Linden are all great places. Olympic Stadium & Potsdam are away from main area but nice to see. KaDeWe Department store is fun & good for souveniers. We didn't see Pergamon Museum but understand it is impressive. The cultural activities: symphony, opera, art museums are all in abundance. <BR>Berlin "is" the history of the 20th Century.

Old Apr 3rd, 2000, 07:25 AM
lola

I'm going back in April. The architecture of this city is changing daily--the world's greatest are making their mark for the 21st century. Don't miss the exquisite head of Nefertiti, ask which museum when you get there--I forgot the name but it was in an art nouveau building a few minutes by cab from center city. The Pergamon gates and Bablylonian tiled monuments at the Pergamon museum will take your breath away. Nightlife is interetsing as well. Some shows like from the 1920s-- plus lots of drag stuff. I'd take an overall bus tour to get your bearings first day.

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 03:06 PM
Carol

One of the best deals in Berlin is the Bus 100 using a city bus pass. You get on and off at will and it takes you on a great sightseeing tour of the major sites.

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 05:14 PM
M&J

You may want to buy Rick Steves' book <BR>"Germany, Austria & Switzerland". In the section on Berlin, he provided details on using Bus 100 (see a previous post)and then a walking tour from Brandenburg Gate to Alexanderplatz. Let us know about your trip.

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 12:07 AM
harzer

The exquisite bust of Nefertiti is in the Egyptian Museum, which contains many other treasures besides. This and the Museum of Antiquities, which has some superb Etruscan gold jewellery, the Hildesheim silver treasure, and a world-best collection of Greek vases, are opposite the Charlottenburg Palace, itself worth a few hours. Together, these three sites are well worth an extra day in Berlin.

Old Apr 7th, 2000, 09:28 AM
marc

I went to Berlin for the millinnium and had a blast. As for inexpensive accomadations, I stayed at The Steigenberger Hotel, which is a classy expensive Hotel. If you want to spend money, stay there!! Well worth it. A great place to grab dinner and a beer is ofcourse at Hard Rock Cafe. If you go, tell the waiter, Jason I said hello. Trust me, you'll know him when you see him... or HEAR him. He made our evening fun. Also, he suggested a club called Far Out. We waited an hour to get in and we were very dissappointed. Not a good place to grab a beer. The atmosphere was crowded. No where to sit. As for sights, I agree with the Brendeberger Tor. Don't be afraid to use the subway as well. The polizi are wonderful people to ask questions. We felt safe during what we thought would be a nightmare of crime and riots on New Years. The city was Very safe!