Clothes for Swiss Alps in late June

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Lausanne for a couple of days and then Murren for a week in late June and early July. Has anyone been there during that time of year tell me how warm/cold it might be? I am trying to figure out what to take, how many pants vs. shorts.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 07:40 AM

I was in Switzerland last June, early July, and the weather was hot hot hot.
One day in Brienz, the temperature must have been low ninties.

I admit that was unusual. The point being that trying to predict the weather in the mountains is rather difficult.

If you get rain, you will NOT want shorts. In the mountains, you probably will not want them either.

In Lausanne, shorts will brand you instantly as a tourist.

Mürren is going to be higher than Lausanne and should be cooler, but after last summer when I fled to the top of the Grimsel pass to escape the heat, I am not making any predictions!!!

by the way, just how are you planning to get to Mürren this year??

Old Apr 9th, 2006, 01:26 PM

Never have been in this region (Murren-Jungrau region) in June, but I have been in this area in late August and early September.

In the lower altitude areas such as Interlaken, Wilderswill and other lower altitude towns, I have seen weather very summer like, similar to late summer weather in the South and midwest in USA. Warm humid weather.

Higher alltitude villages and walking trails should be cooler.

Pack for summer (Shorts and such), but pack a sweater,longer trousers some pullover turtleneck type shirts as well.

Pack a good raingear also just in case!

Nights tend to cool off so pack that jacket as well.

BTW, don't worry about looking like a tourist by wearing shorts. Many of us hikers wear them, Americans and Europeans alike. Where people come up with these silly "do not wear shorts" ideas is beyond me. Just dress to be comfortable and NEVER worry about what the other person is wearing.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 01:46 PM

Vell, to be dressed properly you need some lederhosen. lol Just kidding.

I was in Murren in June a couple of years ago. Most people dress like they shopped at REI. Dress in layers because it can be cold in the morning and hot in the afternoon, and depends on elevation.

I bought a pair of gloves at the Lauterbrunnen train station because my hands were cold. It did rain and we did bring umbrellas and lightweight jackets.

If you plan on doing any hiking, bring some hiking boots or trail type running shoes. I didn't and regretted it.

I never wore shorts but did wear tan cargo type hiking pants and khakis. My husband had a baseball cap and I brought a collapsable straw hat.

All the Swiss like to hike with collapsable hiking poles held like ski poles but we didn't.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 02:11 PM

>>>If you plan on doing any hiking, bring some hiking boots or trail type running shoes. I didn't and regretted it. <<<<<

Excellent advice!!!

A few years ago I remember there was some sily comment about buying only state of the art, upscale hiking boots, one poster jumped me for buying Tinberlands. :::Major eyeroll:::::

I have been on many hikes and walks, many up to the overnight huts. My trusty Timberlands have always done well, but I can see some Mr and Miss state of the art hikers rolling up their eyes.

But your advice on getting good walking boots or shoe type hikers is good advice!

Old Apr 9th, 2006, 03:11 PM

..Altitude is the issue. In June I was glacier skiing. Layer. If you hike, pack your usual clothes. I think it is nice to have a decent pair of pants with a sweater (jacket) and a few coordinating tops for the evening. I am a hiker and I really want to change into something half decent and a bit more fragant for dinner!
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 04:41 PM

I have been in the Wengen area several times in late June, over a period of many years. I can tell you emphatically that there is no predicting what the weather will be like. As it gets closer you can check the weather reports. I have been there at that time of year hiking through a solid week of rain, during snow, when it is hot and also those idyllic times when the weather is simply perfect.

My advice is layer, layer, layer. And bring a lightweight hooded rainjacket. I have one made by Helly Hansen that stuffs itself into a small pocket on the sleeve. I take this with me hanging from my belt or in a back pack and I am always ready for a downpour. I also always take one pair of gloves and one turtle neck shirt, just in case. I've been to Switzerland umpteen times and shorts do not seem to be de rigeur either for hiking or sightseeing.

By the way, I'll be there this June and will follow my own suggestions for packing.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 08:09 AM

I just do not understand this attitude about shorts. Reminds me of when I was in high school in 1970 and some little preppy snots told me to stop wearing Converse sneakers, a Led Zeppelin T shirt and to cut my shoulder long blond proudly tangled hair! LOL BTW, I am loking for the classic Converse allstar sneakers. Awesome sneakers! I can see the eye rolling by some in these forums. They probably still listen to Barry Gib records

Not unlike Lenore, I have encountered warm humid weather. One hike in the Murren area one trip, I swear the weather was similar to late August and September weather in midwest and southern areas. It ws hot and humid. Since many of the hotels in the Jungfrau area do not have air conditioning, it was uncomfortable at times. Nice would cool off enough where you would want to wear a jacket if you went out for a stroll after dinner.

I have also seen it when the area of Murren and Grutschalps had 4-8 inces of snow. (September 2001) Anyone remember that? I was in Switzerland when 9/11 broke out.

Anyway, dress in layers. This seems to be repetitive, but pack for summer, winter, spring and fall.

Also, there are many stores in those areas that carry clothing if you find that you packed for one type of weather and got another kind of weather. I like those intersport stores in Switzerland and Europe. I have bought turtlenecks and various hiking stuff at those stores.

The layer thing is good avice. Pack for both kinds of weather.

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 09:32 AM

Sunstar - I've got some black converse with orange and red flames on them I found them at a skate shop.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 09:36 AM

If I were younger, I'd take one pair of shorts. To account for the possible highs, lows, and rain, I swear by my combination of a gortex rain jacket and polartec jacket. I've always been comfortable using either or a combination of them both.

Murren is a vacation area and you are allowed to dress like you were on vacation.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 10:05 AM

>>>Sunstar - I've got some black converse with orange and red flames on them I found them at a skate shop<<<<

Yeah those Converse all stars were great. I liked the classic white hightops though. But I would get the black hightops if I could find them.

You just do not see those much anymore. I went to their web site once and looked around.

I think if people just packed as they would for any summer vacation, but included a warm sweater, a light jacket or windbreaker with a few turtleneck shirts, they'd be fine. Also good raincoat and good boots if they plan on hitting the high trails!

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 10:16 AM

I second the poster who said most people dress like they went to REI.

This region is for the active. I suggestion going to REI and picking up a pair of REI or Northface (any of those brands work) wind resistant, quick drying hiking pants (I LOVE REI...but to be frank the Northface ones are a bit better for this particular type of pant).

These things are near indestructible and dry super quick. They also are zipaway in the legs to create shorts.

Believe me, I am fashion concscious at times and these suckers are not only awesome, comfortable and perfect for hiking, but they dont look bad either.

For the top....bring a day pack and dress in layers.

I get cold very quickly (low BP) but I was wearing shorts, underarmour quickdrying longsleave, a t-shirt, and a fleece in April in Murren...I have a great pic of the town in that get up.

I would also bring a light rain coat or waterproof shell.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 12:58 PM

Whats the best site you use to check weather reports for the BO area ?

I've got all the usual suspects in my list (cnn, weather.com, etc) - but was wondering if there was some local site that gave more accurate\detailed forecasts ?
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 03:09 PM

Got to www.swissinfo.org

Click on the weather map on the lower left. I'm sure there are better sites and you might try searching here because I know I have seen them listed.