Reload this Page >

Cling-free clothes secret??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 05:10 AM
genna

Okay, I've read all the threads on travel clothes and agree that the drapey black dress/skirt is the way to go, but...I have never found one that doesn't require a half-slip to keep it from clinging like mad, especially when wearing tights. I'm tired of walking around pulling my skirt down all the time, does anyone have a secret solution to the clingon problem?? Thanks!

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 05:19 AM
erinb

hi genna,<BR><BR>take a small can of hairspray or clingfree with you. spray your legs and lower half before you put the skirt on and spray the inside of the skirt.<BR><BR>this should help!<BR>

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 05:21 AM
Shanna

Hi, Genna - you're right about the static. It's annoying and embarrassing. I've had my skirt work its way up close to my derrier - and yes, with tights it's worse. There is the Static Guard in a can. I have a small can for travel. I've heard suggested to take &quot;cling free&quot; dryer sheets and wipe them on the inside of skirts and outside of stockings - haven't tried it. In the good old days we wore taffeta slips - which worked marvelously - but are difficult if not impossible to find today in the stores. The nylon/rayon/blended slips called &quot;no cling&quot; actually don't work at all. I finally bought some taffeta and made a slip, so if you sew you might try that. Let us know if you discover the perfect solution.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 05:52 AM
Therese

Hand lotion (of any sort) works fine. Rub some between your hands until it's pretty much absorbed, then rub the rest over your tights. There's not actually much lotion that gets on your tights, certainly not so much that you can tell you've done this. <BR><BR>You will find that you have more of a problem when the air is cold and dry. If it's particularly dry you'll have to re-apply the lotion (or whatever) during the day. Since I tend to carry a small bottle of hand lotion in cold climates anyway, I can make it do double duty this way.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:02 AM
genna

Wow! You ladies are amazing...these are great tips and I am going to try them all. If all it takes is some hand lotion, I've got it made. Thanks.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:16 AM
Karen

Genna, Static Guard works best (I live in a very dry climate). Also, if you have nothing else and don't want to carry that can of Static Guard around all day, a slightly damp cloth or paper towel rubbed on the inside of your dress or on your tights will take the static away for at least for a while. Happy travels!

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:27 AM
larry

Neat ideas. Will these same tricks work to keep my boxers from riding up?

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:35 AM
Fred

Same problem with wool slacks and socks, so go to your local super market and get a can of &quot;Static Guard&quot;. A little spray and no more cling. For more Paris information go to www.anamericaninparis.com

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:33 AM
max

I've heard that waving a metal coat hanger between your skirt and slip and/or tights works well. I haven't tried it yet but I certainly need it in my office.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:37 AM
x

You could also get sheets of Bounce fabric softner. They have unscented. This works great.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:42 AM
ew

i'd like to see you &quot;pulling your skirt down&quot;

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:27 AM
Tana

Rub olive oil on your legs,

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Prue

I would suggest you try wearing your slip/half-slip inside out - it works well with me and stops the clinging in an instant.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:49 PM
Topper

ttt

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 09:43 PM
Donna

It's the fabric. Synthetics are static prone, whereas the &quot;natural&quot; fibers (silk, cotton, wool, linen...) are not. But a dress/skirt that's lined so you don't need a slip. My favorite travel dress is a lined fine-weight wool slip dress. Very dressy with any blazer or sweater in black or a gorgeous color, looks like a skirt with the sweater buttoned up. You can roll it up in a ball to pack it and it emerges wrinkle free. Just shop like the dickens until you find the perfect thing.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 07:13 AM
LHALLSB

wire hanger - really works!

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 09:31 AM
cha cha

Wear the 1/2 slip?? If that solves the problem it certainly doesn't take up much room in your suitcase.<BR><BR>Although the handlotion on the tights works good in a pinch I wouldn't want to depend on it.