Climate & Accommodations

Search

Climate & Accommodations

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Climate & Accommodations

What is the best time of year for best weather in London England.
Also can a 60 year old couple get clean safe accommodations for not more than $150.00 Canadian per night.
We would like to plan a 2 week trip to London and Paris.
If we were to add Italy would 3 weeks be reasonable for a time frame?
Would appreciate any help.
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 03:13 PM

In London - yes, you can manage that with bidding on Priceline, in most instances. See some other threads about this.

As for weather, it can really vary, but obviously the best time to get lots of light is in midsummer, and the weather is usually good then too. But occasionally it can be too hot.

If you added Italy for a week, I'd recommend one, or at most two, stops. Say, for example, Rome for a week. Judging by the one week in London and the one week in Paris, I doubt you want to rush.
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 03:32 PM

We had fantastic weather for London in May and in September.

For the May trip, we stayed at the Waldorf Hilton with Priceline for $120 USD/night (including all taxes and fees). We booked the September trip through Priceline - air and hotel - for a very good price - convenient flights with Virgin Atlantic with accomodations at Millenium Bailey.

We are nearly 60, and now prefer only one destination per trip. We would not do London and Paris on one trip, and surely not London/Paris/Italy.

With all the seeing/doing/transportation, we are ready to come home after 10-12 days in one place, with occasional day trips.

The cooler the weather, typically the lower the air fares, but the more/heavier clothing you need - but, the more destinations, the less you want to haul around.

I've also had great luck with Hotwire for hotel in Paris (Hilton Paris for $120/night.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 08:42 AM

If you have three weeks you have a lot of time.

One week for London is plenty. You can include one or two daytrips from there - I would recommend Windsor Castle and Oxford. You can even drive into the Cotswolds.

Same is true for Paris. Daytrips from Paris would include Versailles, Chantilly, Fontainebleu.

Why not another week in Italy?

For London and Paris, the best time will be between April and September, but winter is also okay because you can spend your time in museums. The worst month is November, while October might be still nice. January and February can be pretty cold, even in Italy.

Paris can get somewhat hot in July and August.

If you include Italy, spring and fall would be best to avoid summer heat.

The week before and after Easter is high season.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 09:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
England generally (;; has fine weather in Sept and June. It will also have fine weather in July and August but try to avoid Wimbledon fortnight as it is famous as a very wet period. France on the other hand can get very warm in July and August while Italy gets less pleasant both from the weather and crowding.

If I was 60 (soon enough) I would always avoid July and August. To add to the data the French famously take August off while most of Italy do the same so you will be on holiday in a nation which is itself on holiday. Not a good time to get lower cost rooms.

3 weeks would be great for say London/Paris/Florence and to reduce costs you may find an appartment for a week in each of these
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Those room rates sound great and I think we will try for last 2 weeks of Sept. Thanks for the help and any other tips would be appreciated. We are interested in History and also in getting out to see the countryside.
Thanks again