Paris - "Canicule" Temps to Hit 95 F!

Aug 19th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Paris - "Canicule" Temps to Hit 95 F!

Seems there is a heat wave currently, which i believe the French call a Canicule (sp?), hitting an oft temperate northern and western Europe - the NYTimes says the temps in Paris today (or tomorrow?) will hit 95 F

I have been in the Paris area many summers and it rarely reaches 90 - often much cooler hi temps (i practically froze one August eve in a Paris campground when not prepared for the 45 degree night)

And i have been in Paris when the temps nearly hit 100 F and to me it is no fun - added to the normal smog it not only swelters but in a stretch of several days the air can get extremely foul. I remember one such day in the Gare Montparnasse when all the candy at the candy counter was molten - no air conditioning at that time at least.

thankfully it's August - the month many Parisians take off so the vehicle exhaust drops dramatically

Oh well if in Paris head to the Paris Plage - which covers the normal Seine-side Right Bank highway with sand for sunbathers (have not heard if the Paris Plage or beach is there this year but it has been for several Augusts now, when demand for the highway declines.
Aug 19th, 2009, 01:02 PM

Oooooohhhhh. I am leaving in two weeks for ..... London first, then arriving on Sept. 9th in Paris. Will I miss this heat wave or is it likely to linger for a time?

What can I expect for London in the lst week of September?
Aug 19th, 2009, 01:37 PM

I was talking with my little sister that lives in Provence and she told me about the heat wave that france is experiencing..

I remember once that was so hot and traveling on the Metro was unbereveable..It felt like a Sauna.

I remember also the kindness of a young Arab man..He gave me his seat and when he saw that I was hot he also gave me a couples of wipes to cool me off.

A Small act of kindness that will be always embedded in my memory.
Aug 19th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

RememberAugust 2003 (i think) where some estimated 10,000 oldsters died because of the heat. Hopefully nursing homes have AC and oldsters on their own are checked on

eurogals - heat waves usually do not last longer than a few days IME but you never know - the infamous summer of 2003 where temps all over Europe were in the 90s for weeks on end.

London is usually IME cooler than Paris and in early Sep be prepared for coolish 50s or 60s weathere
Aug 19th, 2009, 03:06 PM

Does anyone know the etymology of canicule? I assumed it was the Latin canus -- dog, as in dog-days.
Aug 19th, 2009, 03:09 PM

Yes I was right:

Etymology: Latin canicularis through French caniculaire. canicule. 1. A star in the constellation of Canis Major, called also the dog-star, or Sirius; ...

So what is the connection of the star Sirius with heat-waves?
Aug 19th, 2009, 03:13 PM

From Wikipedia..

Aug 19th, 2009, 04:17 PM

Palenque - where in the world do you get all this information from???? My goodness I believe you are a walking encyclopedia. (or if you are too young to remember what those look like - well then wikepedia). You are one good read IMO! Cheers and happy trails.
Aug 19th, 2009, 05:42 PM

They said the heatwave of 2003 lasted 15 days!! Friends of my sister's are traveling in Paris now, can't wait to hear how it was when they get back!
Aug 19th, 2009, 05:49 PM

I guess this is a summer where people will wish they had booked a hotel with air conditioning (there were a couple Augusts where this did not matter). In 2003, I think temperatures hit 106F. I hope someone is checking to make sure tens of thousands of old people will not die this time.
Aug 19th, 2009, 06:10 PM

Nobody should worry about temperatures reaching 95F in Paris. It never happens. They have got only Celsius in France.
Aug 19th, 2009, 07:13 PM

speaking of Celsius.. end of July last year, 4 days in Paris, each day 34C.. not fun in either C or F.
A/C could not handle it well ( top floor room), for the first time in many visits I was almost happy to leave the city.
Aug 20th, 2009, 07:32 AM
ira

www.weather.com is predicting high temps about 80 through 8/29.

Aug 20th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

to me IME 80 F in Paris is about 100 F elsewhere - it may just seem so but to me it does.
Aug 20th, 2009, 07:43 AM

Sorry, but some of us have always advocated "a hotel with air conditioning" in Paris, in August, and what has happened?

We have been chided about how it isn't necessary and of course far WORSE: that it isn't charming.

Well, neither is sweating between the sheets at 2 AM from the heat and humidity unless that heat is being generated from something other than a weather phenomenon.
Aug 20th, 2009, 07:48 AM

I can only speak for the Haute Garonne department (31) which was one of 7 departments rated "orange" yesterday (Wednesday), so officially termed canicule.

Actually, both Tuesday and Wednesday were bad, around 34C but the temp has since broken and it's 20C now.

Out here in the sticks, you just get your errands and outside work done by around noon, then shutter the house and take it easy until around 6:00 pm. Not a problem for us but no fun if you want to be out and about sightseeing.
Aug 20th, 2009, 07:58 AM

Hi Everyone,
We are in Paris right now and today is definitely better than yesterday. I thought I was being kind of whiny about it being so hot until we watched the news and actually saw that it was 35 Celcius which is 95 F. It's also humid. You need a shower 10 minutes after you take one!

Today was 34 and tomorrow is supposed to be 33. Today is actually cooler than they predicted, overcast right now and breezy. My husband just said it is sprinkling out this minute! Feels so good compared to yesterday.

We actually came back to our apt about 3 pm yesterday just dripping wet, took a cold shower, sat down and relaxed and went out again at 6pm to the Louvre for the evening. What an amazing museum!!!

You just need to pace yourself, especially on these hot days. Don't let it scare you off, just carry a water bottle with you and drink often, sit often in the shade and just take it easy. Start out early when it's cooler, rest in the middle of the day and go out again in the evening. If you don't get to everything on your "list" don't worry about it. It's better than trying to do it all and being so miserable you can't enjoy it.

The Paris Plage ends today I believe. It's been so great strolling past everyone sunning themselves. It's one giant beach party along the banks of the Seine. What a great gift Paris has given to its residents!

You will LOVE Paris, fell in love with it immediately our first stroll out across the Seine. Now I know why people love it here so much. Just can't describe it. You just have to experience it.

Take care,
Michele
Aug 20th, 2009, 08:10 AM

It is currently 34C here in my bit of the Netherlands, humid and with a strong wind bringing thunderstorms shortly. It is even hotter to the south and east of here. They have forecast winds of up to 120km/h and heavy rain here for later, though for some reason it often misses us. Tomorrow will be cooler and then slowly it will return to about 25C next week which is plenty hot enough.

We have had these temperatures before but the last two summers (2007,2008) were so bad, cold and wet that we'd forgotten what they are like.
It's only officially a heat wave here if three days out of five are above 30C and the other two are above 25.
2006 was our last heatwave, lasting 16 days, with half of those above 30C.
I feel sorry for those kids who are back at school now.
Aug 20th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Our average high for this time here is about 81 F and though it's been around that for weeks we have had the coolest summer anyone (Great Lakes area) can remember - it may have hit 90 F one or two days but that's it - very very rare - little need for AC at night.

I've often noticed that it seems when we have cool or hot streaks France and northern Europe often seem to have the opposite.

hetismij - make sure the canine(s) have a lot of water! Lap it up!
Aug 20th, 2009, 10:13 AM

I guess we are spoiled in the Seattle area. We have been experiencing what we consider a very hot summer. We normally get an average of three days per year of temperatures of 90 degrees F. (32.3 C)or greater. This year we have already hit six of those days, and may well break our all time record of nine sweltering days.

Call me chicken, but I will NOT travel in Europe in summer!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO