Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

week in London/week in Paris..very"weather"dependent..

Feb 13th, 2018, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

OK ..I am "old" but not senile...female --travel solo... I can deal with cold weather but not "hot"..80s maybe 90 but that is it..
Suggestions for "time of year" might work out....
Have been to both cities 2009.. took grand-daughter for 21st birthday..want to return before too old to navigate ...and see places i liked or missed.
Feb 13th, 2018, 06:02 PM

Just don't go in August (too crowded and more likely to have heat waves) 90F would be very high in London, a little more common in Paris. But a heat wave could happen any time in the summer in either city.

if you definitely want to avoid hot/humid then travel before mid June or after early September.
Feb 13th, 2018, 07:30 PM

I find that the shoulder seasons are the best for travel if you cannot tolerate heat. I wilt easily and have endured some very hot days in Paris in mid-May. Mid-September almost always works well for me.
Feb 14th, 2018, 11:02 AM

"80s maybe 90" OK - 90 rare in London and on any given day in Paris in July-August but more possible in Paris which also often has dirty air during such canicules (heat waves)- June and September would be great and almost surely never that hot. Indeed it could be rather cool - remember seeing my breathre one August morning while camping in Paris!

Taking Eurostar trains? Don't fly but book your own Eurostar high-speed train London-Paris - and book ASAP for cheaper seats - much cheaper than walk-up and scour site for cheap fares as they can vary greatly day to day. www.seat61.com has loads of info on doing that - general train info - www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts.
Feb 14th, 2018, 11:16 AM

We'll be doing this in the fall - the last week of September and the first week of October, first London and then Paris. Very excited!
Feb 14th, 2018, 11:27 AM

both could be cool and wet or nice and warm at that time. Layering is great - when sun pops out (British ubiquitous 'sunny spells') temps shoot up - back under plummets.
Feb 14th, 2018, 02:26 PM

Since you say cold weather doesn’t bother you, then you might enjoy going to London and Paris in the winter. That’s what I mostly do, or late fall or early spring. Tourist sites are less crowded and the cultural season is in full swing. And neither city gets as cold as New York or New England.
Feb 14th, 2018, 02:49 PM

Yes I went often to Paris and London in winter and found weather always tolerable - never had snow or ice and cold except once in London when about an inch of snow fell and all Tubes and buses were stopped in their tracks due to it - it melted before noon. Paris had snow last week and was such a memorable occasion it made headlines.
Feb 14th, 2018, 03:41 PM

Well, you might want to check and see what the weather has been like in Paris and even the south of France this year, not that that is any indication of what might befall you in another year. It's been a mean, nasty, cold winter here in France thusfar. What other people have experienced in other years is really irrelevant, as are those googled average weather sites. One year it's balmy, the next it's intolerable.

If you have to gamble on decent weather go in May or September, but even then hope for the best and be prepared.
Feb 15th, 2018, 09:52 AM

We like early May or late September/October. Sure, we've had some weather surprises but generally have had good luck.
Feb 15th, 2018, 11:21 AM

I am another old female who travels alone. If possible I avoid both cities from June until late September both for the heat and the crowds. My personal favorite time to visit Europe is in January. Bon Voyage.
Feb 15th, 2018, 01:37 PM

There are no longer any guarantees about the weather. However, if heat is your main fear, you should plan on a trip between October and March. A sudden hot flash can happen at any other time.