Reload this Page >

City of London Museum

Search

City of London Museum

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Becky

City of London Museum

Someone I know recommended the City of London Museum, but I don't hear much about it on this board. Anyone been there? Anyone recommend it? I've heard it gives a good overview of history.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 09:22 AM
janis

The museum of London is terrific. Since it is in The Barbican near St Pauls, it makes a convenient combination.<BR><BR>I try to take new folks there every trip to London. Whole history of the region is laid out chronologically and there are some wonderful hands-on exhibits. There are usually also special short-term exhibits

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 09:24 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Bill

Just wanted to second the recommendation for the London Museum. Nice way to spend a rainy London afternoon....

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Ben Haines

You heard aright. There is no museum of British history, so the Museum of London gives the best grounding for touring in England. Their web site is www.museum-london.org.uk/ The displays are good, and attractive.<BR><BR>Welcome to London.<BR><BR>Ben Haines

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Uncle Sam

City of London Museum is one of the best, non art related, museums I have visited. <BR><BR>Tthere is so much really neat historical stuff there. We got there about 90 minutes before closing and it just wasn't enogh time.<BR><BR>US

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 10:19 AM
ron

I don’t know why the Museum of London is so little known, because it is wonderful. I too only “discovered” it about 3 years ago and it has become a must visit every visit. A near-perfect morning in London is to get to the Museum around 10 am, spend a couple of hours there, walk down towards St Paul’s, pick up a sandwich and other lunch stuff at Benjy’s Takeaway on Cheapside, eat the lunch on a bench in the Postman’s Park, then attend the 1:10 pm concert at St Ann & St Agnes church.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 10:50 AM
JOdy

Wonderful museum as stated above...<BR><BR>Make sure to see the panoramic painting of 18th cen London, that was discovered inside a barrel in a barn in upper NY state( I think) and returned to London. fascinating!

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Simone

I couldn't agree more, this museum is a gem. It was supposed to be a quick stop for me on the way to the Barbican and I enjoyed it so much I went back the next day to complete the historical overview. I would recommend it for adults and children.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Betsy

As a history buff, I really enjoyed the lay out of this museum and its exhibits. It was wonderful. I especially like the section devoted to WWII. It does pair nicely with St. Pauls and it isn't crowded.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Cindy

Oh yes! If you have any interest in history, this museum is wonderful! Takes you from the Roman days through today. Includes a interesting diarama of the 1666 fire, with background narration of Pepys diary. Plan on spending a few hours there.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 10:47 PM
Becky

Thanks so much for all of the info. We'll definitely add it to the schedule.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 01:57 AM
jen

It's also great for kids. There are so many things and displays that some of it is sure to appeal to everyone. There is a fabulous surgeon's suitcase with old operating tools, a brief history of the suffragettes, a huge royal coach, maps and models...love it!

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 04:53 AM
PatrickW

As a born-and-bred Londoner I love the Museum of London too, but just one word of warning - they are beginning to modernise and expand the entrance areas, and the last time I went had just completed a re-vamp of the 19th-century area. The combined effect was to put the 20th century materials (such as the mockup of a WW2 bomb shelter, the Woolworths shop counter - ah happy memories - the cinema frontage and Selfridges lift) into storage. <BR><BR>Be prepared to be guided in through a side door, but once inside the very old favourites are still there - the Roman interiors, the Cheapside Hoard of jewellery and so on. The bookshop's quite interesting too.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Lori

We really loved this museum, I'd highly recommend it.