Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone been to Clink Prison or Britain at War Experience in London?

Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:41 PM
jgg
Original Poster

Leaving two weeks from today for London (and Paris). Not that I need more things to add to my list of things to see, but found these two places on the internet and was wondering if anyone had gone and were they well done. Here are the websites for each:

http://www.clink.co.uk/
http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/britain...experience.php
www.britainatwar.co.uk/(This is the actual website, but I was having trouble getting it to work today, although was fine the other day).

We will be in London for a week with our two kids age 10 and 13, and I thought they might enjoy these, but didn't want them to be "schlocky" like people have said about the London Dungeon.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:46 PM

take 'em to the Imperial War Museum. one of my favorite museums anywhere!
Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:46 PM
ron

I've been to them both, I don't know what "schlocky" means, but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone, unless they were trying to do a survey of the worst tourist traps in London.

There are so many great museums in London -- these are not on the list.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:20 PM
jgg
Original Poster

Flygirl - Imperial War Museum is already on my list - thanks!

ron- From my "Yiddish with Dick and Jane" book schlocky means - crappy, lousy, cheap-o. Sounds like these fit the bill. Thanks for steering me away!
Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:11 PM

I loved the Imperial War museum. Also the Churchill War Rooms was great! Shakespeare's recreated playhouse The Globe is worth seeing. If you go to Grenwich were longitude is measured from you will pass by the Cutty Sark in dry dock, my kids loved climbing on that.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:17 PM

I second the Imperial War museum and Churchill War Rooms. Great history lessons for your kids.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 04:53 AM

If you go on the "The Along the Thames Pub Walk" through London Walks - www.walks.com - it takes you past the Clink Prison and you'll get a brief history. And it's a great walk anyway.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 04:59 AM

By the way, before I'm chastised for suggesting a Pub walk with kids, this is from the London Walks site:

Q) Can I take my children on a pub walk?

A) The best pub walk for kids is the Along the Thames Pub Walk. For several reasons. First of all, because there are things on that walk that are going to interest kids - e.g., the wonderful replica of Sir Francis Drake's 16th-century ship, The Golden Hinde; or the replica of the Globe Theatre; or the horribly shrivelled corpse in the rusting old gibbet (needless to say it's not real - the corpse I mean). But secondly because the pubs on that walk have great outdoor "spaces" - the first one has a handsome riverside terrace, the second one is also car-free because it's on the edge of an old market, and the final pub is that wonderful old 17th-century coaching inn with its own inn yard - so if the weather's good you don't have to take your child in the pub at all really!
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:09 AM

I third the recommendation for the Churchill War Rooms. We went there last year and there were many families there. The kids seemed as engrossed in the museum (which by the way is not large) as the grown ups were. Enjoy!
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:38 AM

the imperial war museum is unfortunately named and i would think that it puts a lot of people off as the name makes it sound like a dusty old place with tired exhibits that glorify britain's imperialistic wars. this could not be further from reality.

it is a modern museum with a modern attitude toward war. it is very well done and tells both sides of the story of war whilst at the same time respecting the heros. a must see.