Citation in Germany

Oct 23rd, 2019, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Citation in Germany

Has anyone ever received something like this:

We have received notification of a traffic violation that occurred while the vehicle was rented in your name.
As we are legally obliged to assist in the prosecution of traffic violations, we have already forwarded your contact data to the appropriate authority upon their request. For this administrative outlay, we assess a processing fee as set out in Section V e.i. of our Terms and Conditions.
As explained and confirmed via your signature in the section 'Inclusion of Terms and Conditions' on the front side of your rental contract, we will charge your credit card with an amount of EUR 20.00 within 10 days.
Please note that this fee is NOT the authority's fine!
We would like to request that you direct any questions related to the location or nature of the traffic violation or amount of the fine directly to the applicable authority. You will receive a letter from said authority stating these facts within the next few days.
For any other questions, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected]
Sincerely
Your Enterprise Rent-A-Car Team

I have no idea what I could have done wrong - doubt it was speeding because cars were going 30-40 km:hr faster than us. Also, I live in the US - can this really be collected?
Oct 23rd, 2019, 10:58 AM

>>Has anyone ever received something like this:<<

Yes -- MANY people have.

It is totally legit.

>>I have no idea what I could have done wrong - doubt it was speeding because cars were going 30-40 km:hr faster than us<<

AND?? Very likely they also all got speeding tickets. Being mostly European residents those people will have been notified sooner than you were. Almost nowhere in Europe can you get away with what we do in the States. It isn't like you can safely drive 10 MPH over the limit because some nut job is passing you @ 100 MPH.

If you look at the fine print on your rental contract, they tell you they will provide your information to local authorities when requested and charge an administration fee if that happens.

Maybe it can't be collected if you never drive again in Germany (or rent from Enterprise in Europe) but if you do the crime you should pay the fine IMO. There are many types of infractions other than speeding.
Oct 23rd, 2019, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Citation in Germany

I received this from my rental ca company following a recent trip in Germany:

We have received notification of a traffic violation that occurred while the vehicle was rented in your name. As we are legally obliged to assist in the prosecution of traffic violations, we have already forwarded your contact data to the appropriate authority upon their request. For this administrative outlay, we assess a processing fee as set out in Section V e.i. of our Terms and Conditions. As explained and confirmed via your signature in the section 'Inclusion of Terms and Conditions' on the front side of your rental contract, we will charge your credit card with an amount of EUR 20.00 within 10 days.

Any ideas what it might be? I doubt speeding as most cars were going 30-40 km/hr faster than us.

Further, I live in the US - what are the chances they can actually collect this?

I have never received such a notice.

Thanks much!

Jason
Oct 23rd, 2019, 11:34 AM

Probably speeding, (or going too slow if you were much slower than the other traffic) and it won't be very much. Just pay it. They offer lots of ways to make it easy for foreigners to pay.
Oct 23rd, 2019, 11:52 AM

I agree. Pay the fine. You never know when you might go back to Germany, and you don't want any problems if/when you do.
Oct 23rd, 2019, 02:07 PM
Forum Moderator

Your two threads have been merged
Oct 23rd, 2019, 02:32 PM

Did you call enterprise? It might take a while for the ticket from Germany to show up. I suppose the fee from enterprise was a convenience fee but they might know what the ticket was actually for in Germany. There are many cameras on the roads.
Oct 23rd, 2019, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

ok - next time I will stay in the right lane and make sure I do not go 1 mph over the speed limit.
Oct 23rd, 2019, 03:57 PM

You are required to stay in the right lane unless you are overtaking. Maybe not doing so is why you got a citation.
Oct 23rd, 2019, 04:32 PM

Welcome to fodors btw. We love public transportation in Germany and if you don't tell my brother never paid his fine years ago, has been back but his inlaws drove since they live there. I think his was a parking ticket.
Oct 23rd, 2019, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by thursdaysd View Post
You are required to stay in the right lane unless you are overtaking. Maybe not doing so is why you got a citation.
That ^^^

As I mentioned there are lots of things that will earn you a ticket . . . including driving in any lane other than the slow lane except to overtake/pass. So yes, if you were tooling along in the middle lane -- that alone could get you cited.
Oct 24th, 2019, 12:15 AM

Whe you get it the citation will tell you what you did wrong and probably include a photo of you doing it. It will almost certainly be in English and will tell you how to pay. They have lots of ways and it is really easy.
Yes experience speaking - DH go one recently from the Black Forest, going 5km/h too fast. It wasn't much money.
Wrie it down to experience and add it to your trip souvenirs. I hope the trip was a good one.
Oct 24th, 2019, 09:58 AM

I didn't know they had cameras that sophisticated in Germany to give out all kinds of traffic infractions, wouldn't that involve a person scrutinizing every one? I mean in reference to the passing issue. Not to mention videographing someone over a longer period of time to see they were driving in the left lane for a long time. I've never heard of that and don't see how they'd do that.

Where I live, cameras just deal with basic facts, speeding or going through red lights. They are stationery and can only photo a car at one or a few points of time (ie, just below light, during light, just after).
Oct 24th, 2019, 10:09 AM

If you are in the center lane with no cars in the right lane the infraction should be obvious.
Oct 24th, 2019, 11:47 AM

Umtox, everyone is guessing but please come back and tell us where you think the ticket came from? I would also like to know what it was for. We drive in Germany and very interested.
Oct 24th, 2019, 02:38 PM

Yep - we are 'guessing'. But not actually guessing - more that we are explaining there are several infractions that result in tickets. It probably was speeding (especially since the OP assumed driving slower than other cars gets him off the hook). But it could have also been driving too slow, driving in a passing lane, or any number of things. On the autobahn or in a city or town. Cameras catch all sorts of things.
Oct 24th, 2019, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

I will report what it is when I find out. Much helpful advice, with some foreboding replies sprinkled in - seems some view a ticket a virtual guarantee with big brother practically tailing your car 24/7. Nonetheless, I appreciate the thoughts and will let you all know.
Oct 24th, 2019, 05:53 PM

>> seems some view a ticket a virtual guarantee with big brother practically tailing your car 24/7.<<

Just be glad you weren't driving in Italy
Oct 24th, 2019, 09:01 PM

Considering in Italy every single camera is announced in advance by road signs I'm not sure that statement makes much sense. If you get a ticket in Italy it's the other drivers who should be worried.

That's before you factor in that today everybody from Google maps,Waze,TomTom and others show the various traffic cameras to drivers.
Oct 25th, 2019, 12:23 AM

Not to mention that Google Maps and Waze track you constantly and send that info back to Alphabet. Who knows what they do with it.

The cameras are mostly digital and only record the thing they are set to record. They do record evey vehicle going through them unless they are part of an average or a variable speed area, such as you have on sections of the M25 round London. Then they are linked together and do follow you through that section, but no further, and if you are withtin the average speed your data is destroyed.
If you don't want to be recorded don't break the law.

You may not get the actual citation in the end anyway, only the admin fee from the rental company. It depends somewhat on whther they think it is worth trying to get the money out of you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO