Cinqueterre in October

Search

Cinqueterre in October

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cinqueterre in October

We will be in Italy Oct 3 - 12 and are considering a few days in Cinqueterre area. Is this time of year a good choice, weather, hotels, etc. Thanks for the advice.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 07:37 PM

Are you hikers? October brings a higher chance of rain and if you are not experienced hikers, it is not recommended that you try to navigate the CT trails.

If you are simply going to enjoy the views, they might disappear due to rain and fog. Cinque Terre has very little to offer except for views and hikes.

Will you have a car? If so, it might make sense to base yourselves in Lucca and day trip to CT depending on the weather. If rain arrives, you can see other sights away from the coast.

If you don't have a car, try basing yourself in a town on the train line closer to Genova. That way, you can have a great day touring churches and museums if the weather doesn't permit a Cinque Terre day.

But where else are you going in Italy? It might make more sense for you to skip Cinque Terre altogether in favor of, say, truffles in Piemonte or cooler days in Pompeii.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 04:06 AM
Xander

Hi Jane,
I love coincidences. We will also be in Italy Oct 3 - 12 and are planning on visiting CT area. We're going to do it as a day trip as nessundorma suggests, so we can skip it if the weather looks bad.

We almost always travel in October and find that the weather is unreliable. On the Adriatic we experienced torrential storms last year on one day and beautiful sun the next. As for hotels, depending on the area high season should be over and you may pick up some really good prices. We're gambling on the SML area at the start of the trip; Hotel Miramare offers an exceptional price package before 6 Oct; then going to Lucca where my preferred hotel is sadly already booked.

Personally, I'd skip the car unless somebody else is driving. I always get stuck driving and miss most of the scenery.

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 06:23 AM

xander,

keep trying on your preferred hotel to see if somebody cancels.

I think the SML area is a great choice. Hope the weather holds for you.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 01:34 PM
TonyMnLA

Wow - coincidences all around!

Ness - you helped with the London part of my trip, thanks.

I was hoping to stay at Hotel Pasqual in Monterosso but sadly it's booked for Oct 5-7. I really would like an ocean view in one of the towns. Suggestions? (3 adults)

Thanks

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 01:40 PM

Did you try their sister, Hotel Villa Steno?
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 02:35 PM
TonyMnLA

They notified me via email about the other hotel, when I found it was up the hill and away from the center of town I thought I'd look for something else.

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 02:38 PM

Italy is lovely in October. Specific to the Cinque Terre, the area is like an Indian summer at that time and sunny and warm during the day, cool (sweater weather) at night. Likewise, hotels aren't as full so all around, it should be a great trip!
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 02:39 PM

Tony, they will pick you up at the train station. Also, it is about a two minute walk from the "center" of the old town.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 05:39 PM
TonyMnLA

MCG - thanks. It's our last real night in Italy and we're hoping for those ocean views from a balcony with a nice bottle of vino. No any?

Old Jul 18th, 2006, 03:54 AM

We had a balcony from our room at Villa Steno from which may a bottle was enjoyed. They have a "community" balcony as well from which they serve breakfast.

Someone else may be able to give you restaurant suggestions if that is what you meant.

I would also highly recommend eating at Gambero Rosso in Vernazza.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 06:01 AM
TonyMnLA

MCG - thanks!

Old Jul 18th, 2006, 02:56 PM

No problem. Have a very romantic trip!