autumn weather in northwest italy

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
autumn weather in northwest italy

I have my heart set on the Cinque Terre in October but my head (namely my partner) tells me it will be wet and cold. I've been on the usual weather channels and getting cold feet - has anyone real experience of weather around that time? We are keen walkers so don't need lots of sun.
Many thanks
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 10:02 AM

We went to Cinque Terre 2 years ago in Mid October from Oct 8 - 18. The weather was incredibly warm. It had to be in the high 70's low 80's. People were hiking the trails in shorts. I kept saying i wished i had brought something lighter than a T-shirt. We never saw rain the entire time we were in that area which was 3 nights....loved it!
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 10:54 AM

I have had the same experience with weather in October in that area as Denice's experience. October is a great time to visit the CT, although, like everywhere else, the weather can turn. I have found it normally warm and sunny. Go for it!
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 11:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Not wet, but any place can be unseasonably cold. That's just a risk you take travelling anywhere outside the summer months. For the CT in October, I'd say the risk is small.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 01:40 PM

Was there at the end of Oct. /07 rained like crazy. Several trails were closed but the beauty along is enough to take your mind off the wet through rain jacket. You can buy plastic ponchos in most towns, Got mine for E5 in Rio Maggiore. It wasn't so cold to be uncomfortable but wet.This puts the "iffyness" at the end of the month so who knows. The weather otherwise from Barcelona to Cinque Terre to Florence and back was pretty good. Sweather/jacket/ layers. The dampness can get to some who are not used to humidity. Don't let the uncertainty bother you unless you are made of sugar (and spice etc._) Go and have a great time.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone
Feel reassured and I am usually lucky....fingers crossed.
Kind regards