Cinque Terre - Monterrosa vs. Vernazza

Old Jan 29th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cinque Terre - Monterrosa vs. Vernazza

We are trying to decide where to stay in the Cinque Terre without doing a terrible amount of stairs several times a day. Would there be less climbing in Monterossa than in Vernazza? Is there a place you would recommend hopefully with air conditioning?

Thanks. Sebina
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 04:25 PM

Hi Sebina,

I think there would be less climbing in Monterossa. There are several hotels near the sea and also in the old town where it is easy to walk. Vernazza does have more wow power, but there are fewer accommodations and from my memory you need to walk up-up-up. We stayed at the Porto Rocco in Monterossa and it is wonderful, but it is a steep hike up to the hotel. Try this web site www.fishnet.it
Have a wonderful time.

Yipper
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 05:15 PM

We were in Cinque Terre in 2006 and loved it. We stayed in Montorosso al Mare at Ca du Gigante on Via 4th Novembre.
It has airconditioning, a good breakfast and a wonderful friendly receptionist named, Maria, who was very helpful!
Also since we were driving around Europe for 5 weeks Ca Gigante had parking for our car. No stairs or hills... for this hotel.
Enjoy the limoncello and pesto in Cinque Terre as they are terrific local specialties.
If you talk with Maria tell her hello from the "Americana capo d'osta" hardheaded American woman whose friend shaved in the parking lot using the car mirror!
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 05:17 PM

Also, the owners of Ca du Gigante own a restaurant in Montorosso al Mare that is very good. We had a lovely late lunch there!
Sorry I cannot recall the name, but they can tell you.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 06:11 PM

Hotel Baia is located directly across the main street from a small sandy beach. A friend and I had a beach front twin bed room in October 2002 and really liked the hotel, room and location. The hotel had an elevator, I don't remember about air conditioning. Didn't enjoy grumpy Mr. and Mrs. Proprietor but we just ignored them.