Cinque Terre...Is it worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Italy in September 2005. We have about 2 1/2 weeks to see as much as we can because we don't know when we will get back there. We plan on driving around Umbria and Tuscany for about five days and then spending two days right in Florence. Friends of ours were there last September and did not enjoy their time in Cinque Terre at all. The view was good but there are many good views in Italy but they found it crowded, with bad washrooms and unfriendly people. In one of the shops the clerk actually tore an item right out of their hands and barked at them. They suggested we skip it and spend more time in the villages around Sienna. Feedback would be appreciated.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 11:47 AM

Hi Sprig, I was lucky enough to see CT before Rick Steves "discovered" it so it is not the same as it was years ago.

If you use Fodor's search box you will find many threads regarding CT that should help you make up your mind as to whether it would interest you or not.

Regarding the rude clerk in on of the shops. I think, as is often the case, that this was caused by a cultural difference. In Italy customers are expected to talk to the clerk and ask to see merchandise rather then just walking in and picking up merchandise as we do here in the States.

Now it does sound like the clerk was not the the most well mannered about this. But that probably is because there are so many tourist in CT. So many people travel without ever finding out the basic differences in the country they are travelling through.

I got yelled at by a dear Italian friend (and I mean yelled at!). We were grocery shopping together and she asked me to go over and get some zucchini. I did, and picked it up with my bare hand. That is a BIG no no. There are disposable platic gloves available. You must, under the law, put one on before you touch any produce.
But I did not know. Believe me, I know now!

Good luck with planning your trip. I am sure you will have a beautiful time.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 11:50 AM
wjk

I am going to Cinque Terre in six weeks. There are many existing threads extolling the merits of a visit there. Compared to what I have read other places, sounds like your friends had an unfortunate and atypical experience. You might want to read some of the previous threads about it before making any decision. wjk
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 04:34 PM

Hi there, Sprig --

We stayed in the CT for 2 nights last July and loved it. The towns are adorable and the hike is breathtaking. We found that there were more Brits than Americans vacationing there. The beach was crowded, but the trails weren't terribly full. We stayed at the Hotel Villa Steno and had a great experience. No rudeness there at all - the manager, Mateo, is wonderful and extremely helpful. Our room (#13) had an amazing view from its balcony, as well. Aah.

As far as shops and restaurants go, we didn't have any negative experiences there either. Along with good manners, we made an effort to learn some of the language and think that may have helped.

If you have the time to visit, I would recommend you do. Tuscany is great, as well, so I think you're in a win-win situation. Good luck! -h.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 01:02 PM

I hated it. We went in late September and found it charmless. I had always wanted to visit and was utterly disappointed.

I am in the minority I know but for my time and money, there are tons of better places in Italy.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 05:21 PM

Just my two cents...We stayed in Santa Margherita Ligure a couple nights in October 2000 and did a daytrip walk through 4 of the towns before the pouring rain stopped us from getting to Riomaggiore. We were more interested in the hiking and scenery than immersing ourselves in the towns themselves, so CT was fabulous in our book, even in the rain. Everyone I know who went really loved it, and we didn't encounter masses of tourists or rude people, but I can see where it could let you down if you're expectations for the towns themselves are too high.