Cinque Terre from Rome

Search

Cinque Terre from Rome

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cinque Terre from Rome

I am going to meet friends in Cinque Terre the last week of September. Is the train the best thing to do or is it possible to drive to La Spezia and safely leave the car since we will need it after leaving Cinque Terre and spending most of the time in the countryside. Does the train leave from the airport in Rome or do you have to travel to get the train.

In the past we have always enjoyed having a car and staying away from the large cities with it but i am very confused on how it works to Cinque Terre. Our destination is Vernazza and we will be there Mon-Wed.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 01:24 PM

Sandram,

If you are going to be keeping your car, you don't have to leave it in La Spezia.

If you are planning on staying in Vernazza, why don't you drive the car into Monterosso al Mare and park it there. The road into Monterosso ends at the seashore. Directly in front of you is a large, parking lot on a jetty that is built-out over the water. It is safe, and guarded most of the day. I would approximate that the lots holds two hundred cars and some tour buses.

The parking is free, and on a "first come first served basis". On a Monday through Wednesday at the end September, you won't have trouble finding a spot. ( If it were "prime season"--June through early September, or on a weekend, then you might have to wait for a car to leave if the lot were full.)

From the jetty, it is less than a block along the seaside boardwalk to the train station. It is only one stop (about 4 minutes) to Vernazza.

If you don't want to drag all your luggage to Vernazza (Everything is uphill in Vernazza), pack an overnight bag and check the balance of your possessions at the Monterosso train station.

If you wanted to take a train north from Rome, you would need to take the airport train (Leonardo Express) to the Rome Termini train station first. From there, you would make train connections to wherever you want in Italy.

Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Georgine,
Thanks for the info, if I remember correctly, you helped me 2 yrs ago with a trip to Italy that lead us to Lake Orta. I tried to email before posting this but was unable to. Do you know how long of a drive from Rome. What do you recommend, train or drive, just curious, I value your thought on this, you also made the trip to Venice a breeze!!!
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 05:33 PM

E-mail me and we can "discuss" your choices.

Good to hear from you. ([email protected])
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 06:15 PM
rex

Any reason the rest of "us" couldn't/shouldn't enjoy/benefit from the sharing of this information?

I think that's why this is a "forum".

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 02:24 AM

Oh, Rex...please....give it a rest.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 07:29 AM

Sandram, there is also a (pay) parking lot a short distance above Vernazza. A shuttle bus runs between the lot and the town.