Search

CINQUE TERRE

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2004, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CINQUE TERRE

Our cruise stops at Portovenere, early a.m. and leaves at midnight for Portofino. I would like to visit all 5 towns. Is it possible ? I'm not a very good 'walker' Any recommendations ?
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 07:12 AM

Absolutely! You can do a combination of boat/train/hike if you'd like. Not sure when you are going during the year, but will presume during the spring/summer months? From Portovenere, you can take a 5Terre boat up to Riomaggiore (the southernmost town) and start there. You can walk the easy Via Dell'More (25 mins and flat path) between Riomaggiore and Manarola. Then take the train up to Corniglia. Corniglia is the highest town (up on top of cliff) and there is a huge staircase to climb up from near the train station. However, the stairs are an easier option than hiking the trail (IMO). You could stop and have lunch in Corniglia, then back down the steps, then train to Vernazza, then 5Terre boat or train up to Monterosso for exploration of the city and then dinner.

All towns are within 7-8(+/-) minutes apart via train so entirely do-able. You can save yourself some money and buy the CT card that is sold in different allotments (they have a 24 hour card) and can be used on all 3 options interchangeably (train/boat/hiking trail).
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Mr. Oysters. I printed it. Silver Shadow docks Wed. April 6th. My wife cannot walk long distances, so I plan to go on my own and return to the ship for her and spend the evening in Portovenere. Any restaurant recommendations for seafood ?
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 06:00 AM

From Portovenere, there are frequent local buses to La Spezia where you can get the train, or you may be able to get a boat, weather permitting. Try www.navigazionegolfodeipoeti.it and www.trenitalia.com.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 06:11 AM

Two of my favourite recipes in Portovenere are Medusa(on the back street) and Tre Torre. I would stay clear of most of those along the waterfront(mediocre)...although you can see the water and main square from Tre Torre.
All five towns easily done by boat and little walking. Have a great time!
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 10:42 PM

neviboy: I am a she!
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 10:44 PM

My reply (continuing)....

Residents of the Cinque Terre don?t hike ? they get enough exercise walking up and down the village streets going about their day. Only the tourists that flood the coastline do the hiking ? everyone else takes the local trains and boats back and forth. I am totally fine with that as I am not the hiker sort either! The boats are running in April so that is no problem.

Fish is caught off the coast daily and everything is served fresh in the restaurants. Unlike the other poster, I like the restaurants in Portovenere, we had the best seafood paella at one of them. I have listed below some of the Cinque Terre restaurants that are my favorites (by town). After your exploration of the CT area, you could return to Portovenere to get your wife, then take a boat back up to one of the 5 towns to eat dinner together.

RIOMAGGIORE ? La Grotta, Via de Gasperi. When exiting the train station, turn R and go through pedestrian tunnel to main street (Via de Gasperi), turn L. You will see La Grotta on your R. Delicious seafood pasta dishes and fresh fish plates available.

Ripa al Sole, further up Via de Gasperi on hill overlooking the ocean and town. There is a free shuttle bus that can take you there. This 3 or 4* restaurant is a special place. They serve an excellent frutti di mare misto (mixed seafood platter, lightly fried), trofie al pesto (a Ligurian specialty), and other wonderful pasta/fish dishes. We usually go here for our Christmas day lunch.

MANAROLA - Il Porticciolo, Via Renata Birolli, 92 (Tel 011.39.0187.920.083), it is located midway down the main street through Manarola, on the R side as you are walking towards the harbor. This is one of my most favorite restaurants and is owned by some friends of mine. Their seafood risotto, insalata di mare (seafood salad), and trenette al pesto dishes are delicious!

MONTEROSSO ?Ristorante Al Pozzo, Via Roma 24 (011.39.0187.817 575, owner is Gino Barilari). The restaurant staff is friendly, the atmosphere great, and the food delicious. They offer indoor and outdoor seating. I especially like their risotto al mare con funghi (seafood risotto with mushrooms) ? delicious!

Ristorante Il Gabbiano (means ?sea gull?) Via Fegina, 84, Tel 011.39.0187.817 578, located right along the waterfront promenade. From train station, exit and go R, the restaurant will be on your R. They have indoor and outdoor (along the oceanfront promenade) seating. I liked their ravioli con funghi, linguine al pesto, seafood risotto, and frutti di mare misto dishes.

Buon appetito!
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 10:45 PM

how strange that all my punctuation marks turned into ? marks again...sorry!