Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

if you dont like hilking should you go to cinque terre

Old Dec 19th, 2010, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We heard as first time visitors to Italy that cinque terre is a must see. But, we dont hike, at all. We are going from Cortona to Aix. Should we still go to CT? We are fit and healthy and do walk but dont hike!
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 03:30 AM

we arent big hikers and we really enjoyed cinque terre. the walk between manarola and riomaggiore is paved and flat but offers lovely views. The train takes you to each of the villages and is cheap and easy to use. You definately dont need a car.
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 03:34 AM

www.cinqueterre.com is wonderful was there last May.

even if you do not hike Beautiful vistas

www.torrettas.com Manarola my fav town

but they all are pretty different and beautiful.

Usually train to Santa Marguerita Portofino station prettiest

www.metropole.it/eng/hstoria.htm my fav is wonderful there

1 block from train or ferry station... 100-120 euro dbl

Usually base there explore all the CT towns by boat from there

over several days...

Happy Journey,
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 03:37 AM

http://picasaweb.google.com/jamie.a....r/CinqueTerre#

We were there at the end of May this year - our pics are above.
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 05:41 AM

It would be a shame to miss this area if you are nearby.I have been there twice,,in sun and pouring rain. In Oct. my Husb. and I were there onlyfor a day (cruise) and did all the towns but one..Corniglia...via train as it is a hop on hop off type and walked from Manerola to Riomaggiore. We got the train at the south end (Portovenere) but you can get it anywhere. Trouble with boat access is rough seas that don't allow for landing/docking..Train is good for all kinds of weather as is the Via Amore from Man. to Riom..
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 06:49 AM

There will be some uphill walking in the towns of the CT -- and in Cortona. So even if you don't do the walk between all 5 towns, the northernmost segments of which are the most "hike-y," you're going to be doing some uphill and downhill.
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 06:50 AM

Of course you should go, but do not count on a train from Portovenere since there is none. We have been there 4 times now and have only hiked the first leg---via dell Amore. We enjoy the hop on/off ferry for the best views of the coast. I would stay in Monterosso or Portovenere if weather is good.
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 10:01 AM

The railway through the Cinque Terre seems to cause a lot of confusion. It is the main line from Pisa to Genova. Between La Spezia and Genova the line follows the coast closely except near Portovenere and Portofino. There are stations at all five villages of the Cinque Terre, as well as the resorts of Sestri Levante, Chiavari, Rapallo, Santa Margherita and Camogli, but only slow trains stop everywhere.
Portovenere can be reached by bus from La Spezia.
Portofino is served by buses from Santa Margherita.
Various boat trips run between the villages in summer, but these are very dependent on the weather and are not regular ferry services.
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 09:33 AM

Sorry I said train from Porto Venere..I should have said La Spezia...in the south...quick and easy!!!
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 09:39 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Ferry to Portovenere..
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 11:54 AM

Definitely still go. We spent four days there last year in October and we didn't hike the trails at all. We took the train and boat from town to town and walked all around the towns. I just love the CT.
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for all your great advice. If we drive from Cortona, bearing in mind i hate heights and windy roads, where would you suggest we drop off the car and train from to get to CT? And then is train CT to Nice doable?? Thanks again
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 02:55 AM

I've been to Italy 20 times so far and still don't feel the need to go to the Cinque Terre, so I'd certainly say it's not a 'must see' for first time vistors - and most Italians have never been there either. It was popularised in the US by Rick Steves and I'd guess you've been reading him.

Where else are you going ?
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 07:19 AM

I agree Caroline. Looking at jamikins pics it certainly isn't a pretty place, if they are representative of the area. I asked an Italian friend if he'd been there and he hadn't and didn't know anyone who had. He said "It's too full of Americans"!

It sounds like one of those places that's famous for being famous.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 09:32 AM

You could drop the car at La Spezia and train from there. Or earlier on the drive from Cortona, like at the Florence or Pisa airports.

And, yes, you can definitely take the train from the CT (via Genoa) to Nice. Though last I heard you must change trains at the French border.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 11:45 PM

Hilmel........Hiking, schmiking! Who needs it? We spent a very lovely three full days and nights in Vernazza in October, and aside from one hair-raising bus ride, we spent all of our time in that little town. Quite happily, I must say. I was surprised at how much there was to do and see, even in a couple of short "blocks" in the town. Go, forget hiking, just have a wonderful, relaxing time in one of the most beautiful places in Europe. It turns out that Rick Steves is actually right about this place.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 11:49 PM

I don't think it's a must see. We've spent some time there and while it is very pretty, I wouldn't rush back. However, we think that may be because we live in Sydney and can visit pretty beaches with fabulous views as often as we like.