Cinque Terra from Florence

Feb 8th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Cinque Terra from Florence

We will be staying in Florence for three days and would like to spend a day at a couple of the Cinque Terra towns. Is this feasible using the trains for transportation?
Feb 8th, 2009, 10:43 AM

I never tried that excursion so cannot advise you.

But, the place is Cinque Terre -- not Cinque Terra. Since Cinque means five, Terra has to be plural, and in Italian the plural of feminine nouns ends in e.
Feb 8th, 2009, 11:05 AM

Yes, you can reach the CT by train from Florence.
Feb 8th, 2009, 11:15 AM

It's fesible, but will be a long day. If you could catch the early direct train(about 2 hours) from Florence to La Spezia Centrale, then take the local train to Vernazza or any of the other villages for walking. For train schedules, please check: http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/
Feb 8th, 2009, 12:30 PM

It is tough as a day trip, but the train connections are not bad--I would spend the nite. Also, pick a place--you will not find any trains going to " Cinque Terre".
Feb 8th, 2009, 12:37 PM

I live in Liguria. (Camogli) and I always find it something of a pain to get to Firenze, in no small part because the particular train line that services this part of Italy is subject to delays, for reasons I have never figured out, and you must change trains, sometimes more than once.

If you are a very early riser, you might get a glimpse of the Cinque Terre towns, and enjoy a lunch, perhaps the sunset as well, but you are in for a long day, and much waiting about train stations.

Renting a car won't save you much time, however -- and many rental agencies in Firenze don't allow 1-day rentals.