Christmas dinner reservations- Paris

Old Nov 12th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas dinner reservations- Paris

In Paris for Christmas (first time in Paris!) and I need some good recommendations for dinner. It will be me, my husband and two kids (14, 16 years old). We are flexible in regards to the time we eat. We have no preferences for type of food, but will say that with the kids we're looking for something simple- soup, bread, steak/chicken, potatoes, dessert OR Italian. We are looking for something moderately priced- NOT interested in anything that will be $100+/person.

Thank you!
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 11:02 AM

I would check with your hotel about what would be open that day and make reservations soon!
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

@jamikins- At a slight disadvantage because we're staying in an apartment not a hotel so we don't have the luxury of checking with someone there.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 11:32 AM

I would go to an online booking site and see what you can book, some people have used www.lafourchette.com

Personally, I'd recommend Chez Clement. It's a French chain, but a nice one and more a restaurant ambience than a fast food place. They have a good selection (chicken and fish, and some meat), a pleasant atmosphere, reasonable prices, and kids' menus. Plus they are open 7 days a week so I'm guessing maybe on Christmas. There are several around Paris. http://www.chezclement.com/

I just checked and they do seem to be open, you can reserve on their website. I'd do it tout de suite.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 11:33 AM

I just realized your kids are too old for kids menus, but that does indicate it is a family-type restaurant.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 12:01 PM

Can you ask whoever you are renting the apartment from? I have always found owners or agencies to be very helpful that way...
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

@Christina- thanks for the recommendation. Looking at some other things first.
@jamikins- emailing the apartment agency now to see for suggestions. Thanks!
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 03:20 AM

Another possibility is to go to a traiteur (delicatessen) before noon on Chritmas Eve and buy some appetizers, a roasted chicken or two and prepared vegetables and potatoes, then to a bakery for a fabulous dessert. Buy lots if it looks good because open places on the day after Christmas may be limited depending on where you are.

After dinner in the apartment, go for a walk and stop for another dessert or coffee and brandy when you find a place open.
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 08:05 AM

There will be very few restaurants open on Christmas day, although some of the brasseries are open everyday, including Christmas and New Years. Some of the highly recommended ones are: Brasserie Balzar in the 5th, Lipp in the 6th, or Chez André in the 8th. There is also Chez Jenny in the 3rd, Le Dome in the 14th and Le Petit Lutetia in the 7th (closed 23 & 24 Dec.).

For a classic Bistro, try Allard in the 6th.

The new MiniPalais (in the Grand Palais) may be open Christmas day, but you will have to check. (www.minipalais.com). Reservations are required.

If you have an iPhone, then I recommend you download Patricia Wells' "The Food Lover's Guide to Paris".
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 06:34 PM

You might consider hotels that cater to English and American tourists. Some will have more than one restaurant and you could choose the less formal option. Maybe Le Grand/Hotel intercontinental or the Westin.

Or Au Pied du Cochon in the first arrondisement http://www.pieddecochon.com/