Christmas Day in Europe/Need Advice!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are currently planning a trip from Dec 19 (flying in to London) to Jan 3 (flying out of Rome), which leaves the problem of where to "be" for Christmas. Most things will be closed that day, we are aware... we are trying to find the most "traveler friendly" city for that day.
So we were wondering... has anyone ever spent Christmas Day in London, Paris, Munich, Rome... or any other city between London and Rome?
Also, I am a 37-year-old Floridian who has yet to experience "falling snow" (I've only ever seen it on the ground). Any suggestions for the best opportunity to see snow during these dates? I realize the weather can't be predicted, but I thought I could ask where I might at least stand a chance?
Your comments and suggestions are MOST welcome!
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 07:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The best chance to see falling snow is to go UP (in altitude). I'm not sure exactly where would be most convenient to those cities but somewhere in the mountains is going to be your best chance.
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 10:00 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Actually - not <i>everything</i> closes up on Christmas Day in most of Europe.

The main exception is London/the UK. Everything in London shuts on Dec 25 - and much is closed on the 24th and 26th as well. But on Christmas Day <b>everything</b> is closed except for a very few restaurants. &quot;Everything&quot; means no buses, no tube, no trains, no taxis, no museums, no tourist attractions, churches only for services.

So - Definitely include London in your itinerary - but plan on being somewhere else over Dec 24-26.
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 01:09 AM

Although not on your list of cities to visit the museums in Amsterdam are open on Chriostmas day.
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 06:44 AM

I spent Christmas Day in Paris a few years ago. We had breakfast at our hotel then walked to church and went to a cafe afterwards. Spent the afternoon walking around the city, full of kids playing with their new scooters. Went to a concert on Il St. Louis that night (got the tickets in the Virgin Megastore a few days before) and then walked back to the hotel. We had bought all kinds of cheese, pate etc. to eat that night but there were many restaurants open. Your hotel can help you with that. Had a wonderful time.
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 09:23 AM

Rome is a great place to be on Christmas Day. One of the best things about Christmas in Rome is all the special presepi displays (nativities), and the churches are open on Christmas Day. Note that if you end up there on Christmas Eve, make a reservation for dinner, as very few restaurants are open. If you want more of an idea about Christmas in Rome, here is my trip report:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34922204
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the help!
Okay, so we are leaving London the 22nd (It's okay... we have been to London three times in three years anyway)
As much as we love Paris, we have also been to Paris twice in the last two years.
We have never been to Rome, though, so I think we will fly straight to Rome on the 22nd.
We are planning to go to Sorrento, Capri, and Pompeii on the 27th, 28th and 29th (staying in Sorrento) so if anyone has any tips for these places, your advice is most welcome!
Susan P... I am going to you trip report now. Thank you again!
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 01:10 AM

Hi my family and i have a white christmas in mind too, we are booked into a small village in the dolimites in Italy, i know in this region Christmas is celebrated the night of the 24th of december, and there are numerous resturants and large hotel chains that put on a feast. A few years ago now i spent a Christmas day in Munich, and it was very white, very cold and completely closed down. i must admit it was beautiful though .If you are driving thru Germany,Austria ,Switzerland, and Northern Italy at Christmas you will catch falling snow, definately Switzerland. Have a happy White Christmas, ( I hope we do)
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 06:02 AM

Actually, I have to disagree slightly with the &quot;no london&quot; posts earlier. Yes, it can be difficult in London on Christmas, but I've done it twice and both times have stumbled onto lovely alternatives. It's all about your attitude, and your willingness to try new things.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

This is WONDERFUL information, thank you everyone for sharing! I was almost disappointed about this trip thinking we would have a problem finding things to do... but now I am just thrilled!
I didn't book the flights yet,so now I'm thinking flying in to London (because it's the cheapest I have found into Europe from Miami), then flying to Rome for Christmas, and then making our way north to end in Munich, since RUDDSTAR mentioned it could be &quot;very very white&quot;.
Has anyone ever spent New Year's Eve in Munich?
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 06:37 PM

We usually try to use Christmas as a travel day, but last year we were in Rome and it was fine.

We just &quot;planned&quot; a very laid back day. We slept late, enjoyed breakfast, and just walked around the city. We took the metro/underground to the Spanish Steps and listened to a gospel group from the US. Then we strolled the streets. Many shops were closed...but many opened (more touristy shops) in the afternoon. Restaurants were open. It was just a low key day - but quite nice.