christmas day in belgium

Oct 19th, 2003, 01:20 PM
msj
Original Poster

christmas day in belgium

Hi. We are spending the christmas period in Bruges and I'm trying to find out whether there are likely to be any restaurants or cafes that serve food open on christmas day. Any general advice on whether all restaurants close on christmas day in Belgium would be equally welcome. Thanks, J
Oct 19th, 2003, 01:31 PM

I'm not saying that all restaurants will be closed on Christmas day but many of them will! Xmas is usually spent with the family here. Brugge may be an exception as there are tourists year round.
Oct 20th, 2003, 12:57 AM

On the other hand, I also know Belgian families who always go to restaurants on Christmas day. The restaurants will probably all have multi-course special menus. And especially in Brugge, there will be restaurants open. Otherwise go to Knokke, on the coast; it is very busy there during the Christmas holidays, with lots of restaurants and shops open. It's a good idea to make a reservation somewhere for Christmas day and the 26th of December.
Oct 21st, 2003, 10:18 AM
msj
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice - I'll persevere and see if I can find something.
Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:31 AM

I think lots of them will be open, but I would say that the best ones are already fully booked...
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:59 AM

Some of the hotels will have restaurants open. For example, the restaurant at the Crowne Plaza (on the Burg) will be open. I remember several Chinese restaurants as being open (but don't expect really great Asian food). I suggest you make reservations soon at someplace like the Crowne Plaza restaurant (which is in the mid-price range). If, after you get to Brugge, you find a restaurant more appealing to you that will be open, you could always cancel your reservation.
BTilke (Brussels)
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:52 AM

I've never spent Christmas Day in Belgium, but I have been in France, Holland, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Croatia, and I've never had a problem finding food and drink on Christmas Day. I think it's only in Britain where everything is shut on 25 December. In other European countries, Christmas Day is much like any other public holiday or a Sunday.
Nov 7th, 2003, 12:20 PM
msj
Original Poster

Thanks again for the help. I've since found one place thats offering a menu for christmas day on resto.be so will try booking that or the Crowne Plaza.