Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Christmas day dinner in Vienna, new years eve in Zurich-restaurant recommendations please!

Search

Christmas day dinner in Vienna, new years eve in Zurich-restaurant recommendations please!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, both for Vienna and Zurich (christmas day and new years eve respectively).

thank you!
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 06:17 AM

Not sure what type of menu you are looking for but we found a Restaurant in Vienna that we loved. It is called Zum Finsternen on Schuhof Street behind the museum. You have to really look for this restaurant because the sign is not visible. We found it in Fodor's 2007 Austria but it is not on the street where they listed it.

Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Looking for a nice, home cooked type christmas meal, and then something fun for new years eve...

thank you.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 10:20 AM

Sorry, I also like to dine zum finsteren Stern, but they are closed on Dec.25...

Why ?
Most restaurants in Vienna will be closed on holidays!! They have a high season RIGHT NOW and TODAY, and are solidly booked until December 23. !

For a Xmas day dinner you definitely habe to rely on one of the hotel restaurants. A few years ago we had a wonderful Xmas day brunch buffet in the Grand Cafe, on the first floor of the Grand Hotel. But for dinner, I dont know ...

The only place which is open every day of the year and has good food and decent service is an Italian restaurant, the Cantinetta Antinori.

The only other choice is:
http://www.marriott.de/Multimedia/In...Hotel-Xmas.pdf

Yes, sorry, Marriott...

Maybe you rather go to one of the museums. And get afterwards some nice hot sausage, hot dog or a döner kebap sandwich at one of the street kiosks . And get a devent dinner on Decmeber 27, when all the nice places are open again !!

(Did I forget to say that December 26 is also a holiday, and everything intersting will be closed as well ??)

Old Dec 4th, 2007, 12:18 PM

We liked <i>Stomach</i>, set in an old house with low ceilings and a real <i>kachelofen</i> (sp?).
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguid...omach_vienna-i
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 03:13 PM

Hello Ash:

We spent Christmas week in Vienna a few years ago, staying at the Hotel Bristol. We had a great Christmas eve dinner at the hotel's Korso restaurant, but were faced on the next day with closing situation. As it turned out, the hotel's restaurant Sirk is open on Christmas day and we had a very nice meal there.

As for Zurich, I would think that there would be lots of choices for New Years' eve. While you are there, try to get to Piccolo Academia; unforgettable. Good luck. gradyghost
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 05:20 PM

Spelling will be way off, but a great restaurant is Ze drei husarren??

In Vienna. Cold, Cold Vienna in winter.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 09:46 PM

Yes, there are some second and third rate, highly expensive places which might be open for a Xmas day dinner, and &quot;Drei Husaren&quot; may be the most expensive of them

Others are:
Do&amp;Co
Anna Sacher at Hotel Sacher
Restaurant at Hotel Imperial
Le Ciel at Grand Hotel

Again: you might get more value for you money at the Marriott Hotel...

And: I would recommend the Cantinetta Antinori or a restaurant at a smaller hotel, such as e.g. the K&ouml;nig von Ungarn: http://www.kvu.at/e/starte.html

Old Dec 6th, 2007, 06:00 AM

I used to live in Zurich and spent a couple of New Year's Eves there. There is usually a big street party going on, which I encourage you to join. It would be centered around both banks of the river in the old town. Food will be on offer with warm gluwine and other libations and music and just a really good time. Not sure it is enough food for a dinner, but you may be able to make do. There should be fireworks at midnight in town and then all along the lake.

For dinner, there is also a very good Cafe Anttinori (run by the same winery in Italy of course) that would be a good choice if you don't choose their branch in Vienna for Christmas. When I have been in Zurich for New Year's before, I either hosted dinner or went to a friends dinner party, so I don't know if restaurants are going to require that you participate in expensive pre-set meals for New Years, you might check, a few suggestions in the old town are below, I have a more extensive list that I have posted previously, you might search for it. I have limited my list to the old town so you can limit your need to travel around, you can then join the party on foot after dinner. What hotel are you staying at?

Hotel zum Storchen
Am Weinplatz. 2
Z&uuml;rich
Tel: Tel: 41 1 227 2727

Has a very good grill on the first floor with Swiss specialties (expensive and formal), a lobby bar serving tea and drinks with a fireplace (good for rainy afternoons), and the Barchetta bar, which serves food in the Colonnade Caf&eacute; which has outdoor tables (with heaters in winter) along the river. In a lovely part of the old town.

Restaurant Kindli
Hotel Kindli
Pfalzgasse 1
8001 Z&uuml;rich
tel: 043 888 76 78
http://www.kindli.ch

Charming restaurant, Swiss specialties and other European dishes, nice ambience and wine list.

Zunfthaus zur Zimmerleuten
Limmatquai 40
Phone 41-1-252-0834
http://www.zimmerleuten.ch/ (mostly German)
This restaurant is in one of the old &quot;guild houses&quot; along the river in the old town and has a marvellous old Swiss style decor. Ask to see their silver collection locked away in the wall safe, and you can also look at the banquet rooms upstairs. The menu combines Zurich specialties with innovations by the current chef.
Kuferstubli
Limmatquai 40
(can't find number, try calling the Zunfthaus)

This is the ground floor stubli (more casual) restaurant of the Zunfthaus zur Zimmerleuten, a tiny cellar-like room. In good weather they have a few tables under the covered walkway in front. Very charming, I actually think it has a bit more atmosphere than the main restaurant. Good food, a I think bit more value for money than the main restaurant, above.

Le D&eacute;zaley
R&ouml;mergasse 7-9
01/251-61-29
Swiss-French food, from the Valais region (Lake Geneva and south), including fondue which is very good. (May not be on the menu in summer months, it is a winter only food.) Wood paneled restaurant, they have a little garden in back. This is in the old town a few yards from the Grossmunster church in an interesting neighborhood of antique bookshops.
Cantinetta Antinori
Augustinergasse 25, 8001
Tel: 41-1- 211 7210

Excellent Italian food in a great location on the left bank of the old town not far from the Banhofstrasse. This is run by the Antinori winery in Tuscany, so they have an excellent wine list.

Zum Gr&uuml;nen Glas
Untere Z&auml;une 15
Z&uuml;rich
Phone: 41-1-2516504

Very good modern French food near the University and the Kunsthaus Museum.

Restaurant Ban Song Thai
Kirchgasse 6, 8001
Tel: 41-44 2523 3316

Probably one of the 5 best Thai restaurants I have ever eaten in, and that includes many restaurants IN Thailand. On a lovely little street in the old town.

Vorderer Sternen
Restaurant Sterne Foifi
Theatrestrasse 22
(at Bellevue tram stop)
Zurich
Tel: 41-1-251-4949

Casual, but good restaurant serving European and Swiss specialties. They also have a restaurant behind called Rosalys, which I have never eaten

Twelve Apolstles
Seefeldstrasse 5, 8008 Z&uuml;rich
Tel: +41 44 252 52 12

Swiss and European dishes, good wine list. Fun bar.
Od&eacute;on
Limmatquai 2
Z&uuml;rich
Tel: 41-1 251 16 50

A Zurich institution, Lenin and James Joyce used to eat here. Pub food, including great soups. Clientele is heavily gay men, but you will not feel unwelcome or uncomfortable.

La Terrasse
Limmatquai 3
Tel: 251 1074

Quirky decor and menu, very shi shi with candles and candelabra, the beautiful people are here. Ambience and vibe slightly better than the food. Nice location. Good bar for after dinner drinks.

Kronehall
R&auml;mistrasse 4, 8001
Tel: 41-1-251 6669

This is probably Zurich's most famous restaurant, also one if its oldest. A favourite with locals, their bar is worth a look and a drink. Classic Swiss-German food. Unless you speak German, however, you tend to be overlooked by staff. Quite expensive.

If you don't have a hotel, or if you just want a different experience, consider going up the hill to Utliberg and having dinner or staying overnight at Uto Kulm Hotel. They have a very nice restaurant. They seem to have their own fireworks on New Years (you can see them from Zurich), which would be fun. Take a look at http://www.utokulm.ch

If in exchange for the above, I would be allowed to make one recco on your itin, which I have seen on your other post, it would be to PLEASE not stay in Lucerne, but actually stay up IN the gorgeous snowy Alps and not in a large town that merely looks up at them from a distance. You can step out your door and be in the midst of the snow and cable cars and walking and sledding and horse drawn sleigh rides (you don't have to ski, and cross country is great). From Jan 2, you should be able to get hotels in the mountains at good rates, as people will have left for the Christmas holidays (not sure but do check, there is usually a 10 day minimum at many hotels over Christmas but this ends Jan 1 or so). Consider either Wengen or other towns in the Bernese Oberland area, the lovely Engadine area around St Mortiz (Guarda esp), a place like Arose not far from Chur, or Zermatt and the Saas Fe area. The train ride from Zurich to the St Moritz area, for example, is IMO one of the most beautiful in Switzerland.

Old Dec 6th, 2007, 06:05 AM

Sorry, the town is Arosa, not Arose. For a hotel in Guarda, try the Hotel Meisser at http://www.hotel-meisser.ch. Also go to Karenbrown.com for other suggestions. While the train trip to Guarda is not quite as pretty as the one to St Moritz, it still is lovely and the very very charming village of Guarda makes you forget the journey anyway.,

Old Dec 9th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

thank you for all the suggestions. My hubby and I , dont ski at all! so cross country would be out of the question . Pehaps on our next trip, I need to stay on top of the mountains..

I will email you all my list of restaurants that I am thinking of eating at, just to see what you all think! LOL.
THANK U AGAIN!!
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 10:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
bookmarking for Cicerone's nice little restaurant guide...

My NYs resolution is to try some new spots... esp. the Thai sounded good.

thanks!

gruezi
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 05:03 AM

I believe that the Heuriger Hirsch in Grinzing is opened on Christmas day. They will usually feature roast goose around the Christmas season and have a number of other selections. As a Heuriger, the wines are outstanding - it is a lively and lovely atmospheric place too that is popular with locals.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

hi everyone for their help. I have managed to get Austria taken care of, please see blw and advise. Have not looked at the map in terms of what is where, so if you think I need to move around the sightseeing , please suggest. thank you!!!!!

24th Dec Monday:
Airport to b and b:

Sightseeing in the city during the day, stop for coffee, at either Demel, Caf&eacute; Hawlka, Caf&eacute; Lamdtmann,

Go to :
Schmetterlinghaus- butterfuly house, November - March : daily, weekends and all public holidays :10.00am - 16.00pm.
And Statesopper (opera house).
Lunch:
Julius Meinl am Graben : either take out, or sit in. (not the restaurant)
Am Graben 19
1010 Vienna
Austria

Dinner: 8:00 pm
Grisling
Maybe, Heuriger Hirsch in Grinzing—need tel # and address,does anyone have it?
Need to chk it this is open..

------------------------------------
25th December Tuesday:
Schonbrunn Palace (Schloss Schonbrunn)
Lunch maybe at Caf&eacute; Residence, they are not taking reservations.
Park closes at 5.30 pm, the palace at 4.30 pm.

Dinner: Cantinetta Antinori 8 pm.
Jasomirgottstra&szlig;e 3-5
1010, Vienna
01/5337722
(near the St Stephans Cathedral)
Walk around St stephans cathedral.
-----------------------------------

26th December Wednesday:

Walk around, more sightseeing. Visit the Nashmarket and eat there, for lunch, maybe at TAVA, recommended by a friend.

Dinner : 8.30 pm
Do and Co- Stephanplatz (fancy)

Onyx bar at hotel in the same hotel is meant to be cool.

27th December Thursday: 10:44 am train to Salzburg.

get there at 1.30 pm.
Staying at: Haus Wartenberg
Johannes W&auml;chter

Riedenburgerstr. 2
5020 Salzburg
Fon. +43 662 84 84 00
Fax. +43 662 84 84 00 5

Walk around, sightseeing, do something for lunch.

No Tours avai- so do our own tour of city. Thinking of 1 of these 2, most likey the one that says 3, comments: ??
2. Mozart's Birthplace (Mozart Gerburtshaus)
Mozart's Birthplace (Mozart Gerburtshaus), Salzburg, Austrian Alps

Rather like Shakespeare's place of birth in Stratford - it's a house and apart from a few things displayed here and there, actually there's nothing really special about it (except whom it commemorates) - particularly when you know that the whole house was not occupied by the Mozart family (only about three or four rooms - the house belonged to a merchant). Still, the tourists flock there myself included and we all make a beeline for the souvenir shop and the Mozart chocolates at the end. Thankfully admission is included as part of the Salzburg Card. Yes, if you are fan you should see it because you can say you went there but don't expect anything spectacular.

3. Mozart Residence (Mozart Wohnhaus)
Mozart Residence (Mozart Wohnhaus), Salzburg, Austrian Alps

Better than the Geburthaus and a bit more significant because the Mozart family actually took up more of this house and lived here for many years - there are more musical instruments here and the audio guide has a lot more music and information about the family and about the travelling around Europe that the family did when Mozart was a kid (considerable for the times !). The insights on Mozart's father Leopold and his sister Nannerl are interesting and in some cases quite revealing as to the way they saw Wolfgang and life in general. Definitely worth a visit if you are a fan. Also included as part of the Salzburg Card.

Dinner: some beer cellar cave, or some authentic place. suggestions of what is open???

28th December Friday: (our 5 year anniverary!! )
Lunch:
Maybe do horse sleigh .10 am- 6-7 hours.

Dinner:
8 pm, Mozart Concert, at Stiftskeller St. Peter
Need to be there at 7pm.
29th December Saturday:

M 32 M&ouml;nchsberg; 43-662/8422-20401; www.museumdermoderne.at;

For the museum, as well as view of the city.
Also,
Will make sure to go to Hotel Sacher for Sacher torte.

what am I missing??
thank you!!!!

Old Dec 11th, 2007, 10:08 AM

Phone number for Heuriger Family Hirsch is 01 320 14 55.

Fax is 01 320 23 19.

If it is open, you will love it. At least we do.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

That place is not open!
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 11:18 AM

That is too bad. It is a very enjoyable place - perhaps another time.

You seem to be Mozart fans. If so one of the buildings that make up the Best Western Tigra is where Leopold Mozart stayed with little Worfgang when he made his Vienna debut in a hall just around the corner. Wofgang came back to the building and took an apartment for awhile as an adult. The Tigra is located at Tiefer-Graben 14-20. The street that it is on is nothing special, but the neighborhood inside the ring is excellent and it is a very nice hotel at a good price.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 11:17 PM

i hope a local can give you a better suggestion for a place to try sacher torte.

i tried it at the hotel and it was the driest cake i had ever eaten. i didn´t even finish my piece.

the hotel doorman was very snooty and i would never go back. there are so many lovely places in vienna.. why bother.

take plenty of change as you are forced to leave your belongings with a coat clerk everywhere. (for a fee). my friend and i laughed how we had not budgeted that in our plans!!! ( it adds up in the winter!)

we also enjoyed visiting a famous beautiful library and watching the horses rehearse one morning.

the boy´s choir was a let down as we were in a side room watching it all on a t.v. monitor.

Old Dec 19th, 2007, 01:51 PM

bookmarking